Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

39 minutes ago, Resident said:

I assume that's because you've no defence of the dangerous conditions SCC have created for vehicles using AG. 

That’s your view, but clearly SCC don’t agree with you, or they would have acted.

Have you made your points to them?

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

That’s your view, but clearly SCC don’t agree with you, or they would have acted.

Have you made your points to them?

Yet another none answer. 🙄

To answer yours, yes as have, to my knowledge many other residents of Sheffield, the bus companies & taxi drivers. 

SCC have done their usual fingers in their ears screaming lalalalalala given that there's been zero response 

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Yet another none answer. 🙄

To answer yours, yes as have, to my knowledge many other residents of Sheffield, the bus companies & taxi drivers. 

SCC have done their usual fingers in their ears screaming lalalalalala given that there's been zero response 

Is every response that doesn’t agree with you a “non” response?

Personally, I’ve seen no issues there, but I don’t go there often. Other than you, I haven’t seen anyone raising issues about it either, so what do you expect me to say?

SCC are the highway authority, it’s their responsibility and you’ve made your points to them. Put in an official complaint if you are dissatisfied with how they’ve responded. What else is there to say?

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

So we'd be better off with a big scrum of cars, lorries, bikes, pedestrians (chuck in horses if you like) etc like you see in India?

The alternative to providing pedestrian refuges and cycle lanes etc isn't "a big scrum", there's a middle ground. But that would involve motorists sharing the road space with other equally legitimate users without getting all upset about having to slow down momentarily, or maybe having to walk a bit to finish their journey.

7 hours ago, Resident said:

So rather than discuss the point I was making you're deciding to argue semantics?

I assume that's because you've no defence of the dangerous conditions SCC have created for vehicles using AG. 

It's only dangerous because motorists lack patience. If a motorist is unable to decide that the way is not clear to proceed, and should wait until it is clear to do so, then they should hand in their licence.

Edited by Bargepole23

Why do most people like sweeping generalisations.

Motorists do this,cyclists do that,pedestrians do this etc.

Not just on this subject,on everything .

It bugs me.

Well walking up The Moor & then turning up to John Lewis yesterday, it's clear that it's going to be a long time, (if ever again), before public transport or any other vehicles will travel down Pinstone St towards The Moor / Furnival Gate.  The whole of the outward bound carriage way has now been re-tarmaced, road markings have been repainted to show a dual carriage way for both cyclists & pedestrians & planters with flowers separate this carriage way from the now single inbound cartridge way which vehicles can still use to access John Lewis & Barkers Pool. 

And yes, while walking up what did we see next to this cycle lane that's a good 10ft in width?  A couple of cyclists in their 40's, totally ignoring it & gingerly trying to weave their way between the pedestrians on Pinstone St's pavement. 

On 11/10/2020 at 14:57, Baron99 said:

Well walking up The Moor & then turning up to John Lewis yesterday, it's clear that it's going to be a long time, (if ever again), before public transport or any other vehicles will travel down Pinstone St towards The Moor / Furnival Gate.  The whole of the outward bound carriage way has now been re-tarmaced, road markings have been repainted to show a dual carriage way for both cyclists & pedestrians & planters with flowers separate this carriage way from the now single inbound cartridge way which vehicles can still use to access John Lewis & Barkers Pool. 

And yes, while walking up what did we see next to this cycle lane that's a good 10ft in width?  A couple of cyclists in their 40's, totally ignoring it & gingerly trying to weave their way between the pedestrians on Pinstone St's pavement. 

Italic - It will never reopen as a road, the university & SCC have been trying to find reasons to close it for years. 

Bold - Absolutely no surprise. Until authorities start enforcement and fine people like them then they will continue. 

On Sunday I cycled 

Furnival Street > Exchange Place > Broad Street  West > Shude Hill> Pond Street>Paternoster Road>Brown Street>Sydney Street>Sylvester Street.

It was a mixture of cycle paths and quiet roads. An absolute pleasure to traverse the city centre with such ease. Its good to see that SCC are getting something right. 

If people can't get into the city centre easily, either by private car or public transport - then they will find alternative places to shop. Your average typical leisure shopper, is hardly going to cycle in to carry shopping bags back on a bike, or go out for a nice meal/evening out and cycle there and back, in my opinion...

This is why it has been shown, post Covid, retail parks and shopping centres across the country and are now booming again, where as the typical high street is struggling.

Also, since this has become semi-permanent, why hasn't SCC or SYPTE provided better bus stop facilities, such as a shelter at the alternative stops. Hardly an advert to use public transport and ditch the car! Leeds have managed to do it, through The Headrow road improvement works, and didn't have any social distancing measures in place.

you can still access the city centre easily by car, and there are plenty of car parks.

(the only real problem is the traffic on the way  - and the solutions to that don't involve making it more attractive to drive)

i was in the city centre on Sunday, i thought it was fairly busy...

(i popped into a cafe, for a coffee, and something quick to eat with a friend - we were asked if we had a reservation, as it was rammed!)

Edited by ads36

9 hours ago, Michael_N said:

If people can't get into the city centre easily, either by private car or public transport - then they will find alternative places to shop. Your average typical leisure shopper, is hardly going to cycle in to carry shopping bags back on a bike, or go out for a nice meal/evening out and cycle there and back, in my opinion...

This is why it has been shown, post Covid, retail parks and shopping centres across the country and are now booming again, where as the typical high street is struggling.

Also, since this has become semi-permanent, why hasn't SCC or SYPTE provided better bus stop facilities, such as a shelter at the alternative stops. Hardly an advert to use public transport and ditch the car! Leeds have managed to do it, through The Headrow road improvement works, and didn't have any social distancing measures in place.

Really don't understand your difficulty in accessing the city centre either by car or public transport. Which direction are you coming in from?

Interesting to see that SCC are now looking at making the closure of Pinstone Street permanent, especially when this has caused so much disruption with bus passengers, making travelling by car more accessible than public transport which should be promoted! Sheffield Star are running with this story - Bus passengers 'not addressed' in plans to close busy Sheffield city centre road | The Star

What is even more interesting, is some councils like Rotherham that took the leading way of pedestrianisation in the early 90s are now looking at reversing this, and actually opening up roads in the town centre to traffic. They state "Rebalancing Pedestrian Priority and creating Traditional Town Centre Streets

The core traditional shopping streets in Rotherham Town Centre have largely been pedestrianised. This pedestrianisation has been in place for many years and has brought about both positive and negative impacts on town life. In High Street and around All Saints Square the pedestrian priority and high quality environment has proven to be beneficial and supports an attractive street scene. Excluding traffic from these areas has helped develop town life and vitality. Elsewhere the wider exclusion of traffic has created a precinct-like feel within the main shopping ‘circuit’ and has served to undermine vitality especially out of retail hours. In the evening large parts of the Town Centre are effectively cut-off from passing movements of people and motorists. We conclude that the balance of pedestrian and vehicular access in several parts of the town is out of balance with the functionality of the town and needs to be reconsidered.

It is proposed that the road traffic regulations be reviewed with regard to access along / around the Howard Street / Effingham Street (between Howard Street and College Street) and College Street loop. In core shopping-hours this street would remain pedestrian only but outside these hours cars would be permitted. This would facilitate on street parking in those periods. It is suggested that the one-way flow of traffic be reversed."

Full details on the Rotherham scheme can be viewed here: https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/download/257/town-centre-masterplan

So if a compromise is to be struck, would Pinstone Street need to be fully pedestrianised, as surely a scheme such as on High Street in Exeter City Centre where only local buses are allowed to travel down a mixed shared street, with a speed limit on 10mph, could be an overall better solution?

Edited by Michael_N