Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

23 hours ago, RJRB said:

I hope that it turns into a permanent and pleasant feature of this leafy suburb,although I rarely visit since the demise of the charity book shop.

The Oxfam shop at Broomhill always has a varied selection, particularly the non fiction, history in particular. Picked up quite a few obscure books there.

I'm a regular user of the 51.

I work at the bottom end of the High Street (The hole-in-the-road end in old money). The 51 stop used to be on Leopold Street, so nothing too inaccessible.

Now I'm told the nearest stop is at the bottom of Carver Street. The 51 no longer runs through the city centre. I have limited mobility so how has this whole pavement-widening palaver benefited me? It's a bit of a trek now, especially in unkind weather.

"Fiasco" is a word that springs easily to mind.

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

I'm a regular user of the 51.

I work at the bottom end of the High Street (The hole-in-the-road end in old money). The 51 stop used to be on Leopold Street, so nothing too inaccessible.

Now I'm told the nearest stop is at the bottom of Carver Street. The 51 no longer runs through the city centre. I have limited mobility so how has this whole pavement-widening palaver benefited me? It's a bit of a trek now, especially in unkind weather.

"Fiasco" is a word that springs easily to mind.

The route change you speak of has been in place since mid June apparently, so how regularly do you actually use the service if you need to be told about that?

I can understand you being peeved if the change inconveniences you personally, but there are alternative public transport services that take you to where you want to be. Sure, it might involve some interchange and a bit more time, effort and expense, but it’s not impossible.

The 51 clearly does still run through the city centre, just not the part of it you want to get to  when you come into town. 

Introducing major changes in a city centre road network is never going to please everyone and some might well be inconvenienced. The council has to weigh the benefits against any downsides when deciding whether these changes are made permanent.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

The route change you speak of has been in place since mid June apparently, so how regularly do you actually use the service if you need to be told about that?

I can understand you being peeved if the change inconveniences you personally, but there are alternative public transport services that take you to where you want to be. Sure, it might involve some interchange and a bit more time, effort and expense, but it’s not impossible.

The 51 clearly does still run through the city centre, just not the part of it you want to get to  when you come into town. 

Introducing major changes in a city centre road network is never going to please everyone and some might well be inconvenienced. The council has to weigh the benefits against any downsides when deciding whether these changes are made permanent.

My bold. 

It's strange that over the years I've read many comments on SF complaining about the bus services in Sheffield but most have been about the bus companies themselves, buses running late, etc.  Very few have been about route changes & I don't recall anyone moaning about bus routes through the city centre itself, mainly because the buses went where they were required to be for people to get to work or to the shops. 

What we have here now are clearly enforced route changes brought about by road closure in the city centre that are affecting people?.

It does appear that we've gone from a win / win situation to a win / sod the rest who are affected situation. 

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It does appear that we've gone from a win / win situation to a win / sod the rest who are affected situation. 

I don’t think that is the case at all. Current changes are of a temporary nature so the council can evaluate the way they work, which will of course include consideration of any feedback they get.

Like I said, you can’t promote a significant change to the way that the city centre is used without displeasing some people.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

It's strange that over the years I've read many comments on SF complaining about the bus services in Sheffield but most have been about the bus companies themselves, buses running late, etc.  Very few have been about route changes & I don't recall anyone moaning about bus routes through the city centre itself, mainly because the buses went where they were required to be for people to get to work or to the shops. 

What we have here now are clearly enforced route changes brought about by road closure in the city centre that are affecting people?.

Trust me when I say the majority of Sheffield's passengers that used services that formerly service the city centre via Leopold St are not happy about the change. 

From a road user's standpoint Arundel Gate is now a DANGEROUS mess and it's a bloody miracle that no-one has not been seriously hurt thus far.

SCC has handled this COVID situation in their usual manner, an absolute shambolic hot steaming pile of turd.  

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Trust me when I say the majority of Sheffield's passengers that used services that formerly service the city centre via Leopold St are not happy about the change. 

From a road user's standpoint Arundel Gate is now a DANGEROUS mess and it's a bloody miracle that no-one has not been seriously hurt thus far.

SCC has handled this COVID situation in their usual manner, an absolute shambolic hot steaming pile of turd.  

We are all road users- what is "...a road user's standpoint..."?

In the last week I have had a  52, 52a and a 51 "...road user's standpoint...", a cyclists  "...road user's standpoint..."and pedestrian"...road user's standpoint...".

There is no change to the 51 route to Lodge Moor and two stops removed towards Charnock replaced by one.

My gratitude and apologies to Martin C etc for being wrong.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I wonder how much of the confusion is due to poor publicity/people not being aware of changed routes. A couple of weeks ago an acquaintance told me I couldn’t get a bus direct from Hillsborough to the bottom of the Moor and only the 120 was going there with bus stop signage saying no service. I couldn’t work out how the 81/82 could get to Millhouses and Dore so rang Traveline and was advised of the route change along Arundel Gate, quicker but does miss Townhead/Leopold St which are still fairly accessible by tram

58 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There is no change to the 51 route

Yes there is.

Edited by Martin C
Evidence / confirmation added

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Apologies, I have completed my post above .

By road user I meant someone who travels up/down Arundel Gate not on foot. 

If you're a pedestrian you should be using the pavement. 

5 minutes ago, Resident said:

By road user I meant someone who travels up/down Arundel Gate not on foot. 

If you're a pedestrian you should be using the pavement. 

The point is that the “pavement” is part of the road. Walkers, cyclists motorists are all road users.