Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

What state was the  temporary roadworks in today?

The photograph is nearly a week old an I wasn't there today

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Still temporary 

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

Still temporary 

I thought you would  update us on the changes that have occurred in the 5 days since the photo was taken?

9 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I thought you would  update us on the changes that have occurred in the 5 days since the photo was taken?

Why?

I will go up again with my camera and try to get the same camera angle if you are not going yourself.

That is if I can get a suitable position in the jostling crowds.

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

Why?

I will go up again with my camera and try to get the same camera angle if you are not going yourself.

That is if I can get a suitable position in the jostling crowds.

While you are  there at it take a measuring tape and measure the shortest  distance between the LH car bumpers and the shop fronts.

I'm pleased to see there seemed to be some kerbstones being laid parallel to the shop fronts to 'fill in' the awkward zigzag pavement and make it a sensible rectangular shape like most other places.

I hope those parking bays never return and the shops and cafes can make better use of the outdoor space and build a nice facade on that horrible building. I always assume I won't be able to park there anyway as they are always full.  

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

While you are  there at it take a measuring tape and measure the shortest  distance between the LH car bumpers and the shop fronts.

You are asking a lot of me.

To be honest,the only thing that I care about is the knee jerking tokenism exhibited on these temporary eyesores by the council.

That applies to pedestrianisation or cycle lanes.

If there is a grand plan to improve this stretch of road including paving ,trees,seating etc.then I will welcome it.

But to react on the back of supposed social distancing is laughable.

As I said previously there are many areas in Sheffield which have similar issues.

57 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You are asking a lot of me.

To be honest,the only thing that I care about is the knee jerking tokenism exhibited on these temporary eyesores by the council.

That applies to pedestrianisation or cycle lanes.

If there is a grand plan to improve this stretch of road including paving ,trees,seating etc.then I will welcome it.

But to react on the back of supposed social distancing is laughable.

As I said previously there are many areas in Sheffield which have similar issues.

The residents of Broomhill, in general, suffered  from semi complete plans from have long been critical of the dominance of the shops, non-residents and road lobby on development plans.

When the threshold of incidents of death and serious injuries was passed a few  years ago a considerable amount of traffic calming took place at "Crookes Junction" which included the removal of parking bay and introduction of a new crossing on Fulwood Road and a large safety refuge,  traffic control and defined lanes on Crookes Road. 

To provide 8 spaces for cars requires huge take of land especially with so much parking nearby.

This development is 50 years old and reflects the attitudes of the half a century ago. Time for a rethink.

Two of the shops deliberately block the footway with their freestanding hoardings- that is how much they think of the locals.  

There is a lot of passing traffic that obstruct footways to  

I hope that it turns into a permanent and pleasant feature of this leafy suburb,although I rarely visit since the demise of the charity book shop.

19 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The residents of Broomhill, in general, suffered  from semi complete plans from have long been critical of the dominance of the shops, non-residents and road lobby on development plans.

When the threshold of incidents of death and serious injuries was passed a few  years ago a considerable amount of traffic calming took place at "Crookes Junction" which included the removal of parking bay and introduction of a new crossing on Fulwood Road and a large safety refuge,  traffic control and defined lanes on Crookes Road. 

To provide 8 spaces for cars requires huge take of land especially with so much parking nearby.

This development is 50 years old and reflects the attitudes of the half a century ago. Time for a rethink.

Two of the shops deliberately block the footway with their freestanding hoardings- that is how much they think of the locals.  

There is a lot of passing traffic that obstruct footways to  

Bold - Then report it to the council as they are not permitted by SCC. 

Use of “A” boards

The City Council does not permit the use of “A” boards on the public highway.

These types of sign can present a danger to the blind and partially sighted, and create difficulties for the elderly in general, and wheelchair users in particular, when they are trying to negotiate their way along footways. They are unsightly and contribute to unnecessary clutter in the street scene.

Any “A” boards found within the City Centre, on arterial routes into the City Centre or obstructing free pedestrian movement anywhere in the city will be removed without notice, and the owners of the “A” board charged with any labour / plant costs incurred.

LINK - Top of page 3

35 minutes ago, Resident said:

The City Council does not permit the use of “A” boards on the public highway.

That depends of course whether the public highway extends all the way to the shop fronts. Sometimes the pavement is partly council-owned, while the strip nearest the shops is privately owned. It's possible the parade overhang indicates the boundary.