Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

3 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Apparently the road opened this afternoon, so the stops towards Woodhouse are:

- usual stops on Glossop Road and West Street

- Carver Street

- Moorhead (Furnival Gate)

- usual stops on Arundel Gate

The stops on Carver Street and Moorhead replace the stops on Leopold Street and Pinstone Street.

Going in the other direction towards Crookes the route is unchanged (ie via Church Street and West Street).

Social distancing arrangements are in place on board buses, avoid seats marked out of use, also government have made wearing face coverings mandatory for passengers on public transport (except for some exemptions for certain health conditions, young children etc) and you are asked to avoid using cash to buy tickets and instead pay by contactless or buy online.

Thank you for the info, that will be better if I can get off at Moorhead/ Furnival gate. 

On 23/05/2020 at 11:09, Planner1 said:

You're wrong about training courses, most councils can't afford to send people on many training courses, SCC included. The training budget for their transport and infrastructure service is very very small.

You mean they're making it up as they go along, with no clue as to what they are doing?

We'd noticed dear boy, we'd noticed...

Internet shopping is on the increase restricting  motorists who want to shop, is only going to lead to more internet shopping.  Every extra person who shops on the internet means that city centre shops become less viable ! 

2 hours ago, BEETHOVEN said:

Internet shopping is on the increase restricting  motorists who want to shop, is only going to lead to more internet shopping.  Every extra person who shops on the internet means that city centre shops become less viable ! 

Evidence suggests that pedestrianization leads to increased footfall and spend.

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/media/3890/pedestrian-pound-2018.pdf

Enforced mask wearing, one-way systems in shops, unable to properly browse or try clothes on, etc. don't make me want to visit shops any time soon.

Adding pointless road closures, parking restrictions and restricting car access on top of that makes that even less likely I will visit shops,  especially when online shopping is much less hassle. and I imagine there are many other people like me.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Evidence suggests that pedestrianization leads to increased footfall and spend.

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/media/3890/pedestrian-pound-2018.pdf

From 2018  ?
Things have changed, people don't want to use public transports as much if they don't have to, so the car will always be king right now.

2 hours ago, Ravenger said:

Enforced mask wearing, one-way systems in shops, unable to properly browse or try clothes on, etc. don't make me want to visit shops any time soon.

Adding pointless road closures, parking restrictions and restricting car access on top of that makes that even less likely I will visit shops,  especially when online shopping is much less hassle. and I imagine there are many other people like me.

Spot on.

11 hours ago, darylslinn said:

From 2018  ?
Things have changed, people don't want to use public transports as much if they don't have to, so the car will always be king right now.

Spot on.

So tell me where any of these changes are preventing easy access to shops by cars for the overwhelming majority of customers.

Broomhill have removed a number of spaces directly outside shops. A multitude of parking spaces remain, as do the disabled ones.

The only issue here is the bone idleness of those who are up in arms if they cannot park within arms reach of their destination.

Not everyone has the strength and ability to carry heavy bags of shopping or bulky items all the way down to the "multitude of parking spaces"? so they will shop elsewhere where they can park.  Sadly we are not all fit young things any longer but thankfully don't qualify for a disabled badge either. Please think of others before posting accusing people of being bone idle.

this council has lost the plot how-to kill a city centre. Sheffield council are experts 

1 hour ago, Donny B Good said:

Not everyone has the strength and ability to carry heavy bags of shopping or bulky items all the way down to the "multitude of parking spaces"? so they will shop elsewhere where they can park.  Sadly we are not all fit young things any longer but thankfully don't qualify for a disabled badge either. Please think of others before posting accusing people of being bone idle.

Sadly, we need pavement space to practice social distancing. Fortunately there is a big car park directly above the lost spaces at Broomhill, with an elevator I believe.

Next.

3 hours ago, Donny B Good said:

This is not the situation in Broomhill.

Shoppers who use the carpark would  go up the stairs, up in the lift or up the ramp or they can walk to their cars as before as there has been no change in the number of parking spaces.

The road side footway has been reinstated with the removal of the flower containers and a pseudo zebra crossing at each end.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Sadly, we need pavement space to practice social distancing. Fortunately there is a big car park directly above the lost spaces at Broomhill, with an elevator I believe.

Next.

Let’s hope you never sustain any impaired mobility problems. Talk about a selfish attitude...