Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

To add I've read another bus service update (on the Stagecoach website) and now understand why there are 5 Carver Street bus stops but only 3 listed in the route descriptions for boarding - the other 2 are alighting only - buses will drop off and pick up on seperate sections of Carver Street!

Edited by Andy C

18 minutes ago, Andy C said:

If Leopold Street closure is permanent then I really hope there has been some bigger picture developments to go with it - providing decent facilities for bus passengers on Carver Street and Arundel Gate for example and general thought about road layout on the diversion down Carver Street and Charter Square - room for buses to pass approaching Moorhead and cars accessing car parks for example. There is also the issue of available diversionary routes for buses if a road is closed.

Andy, you can hope, but from the foul-ups I've seen from our City council, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Any comment on my 'unrelated' item?

Edited by RollingJ
Addition.

32 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Andy, you can hope, but from the foul-ups I've seen from our City council, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Any comment on my 'unrelated' item?

I rarely go down Abbeydale Road to be honest, my bus goes via Chesterfield Road - and I've not left S17/S18 since lockdown as I've been working from home! Will save them putting the signs back up come winter I suppose.

My curiosity at the moment with these bus route changes is have they rebuilt the bend where Carver Street becomes Wellington Street to make it a little less tight? https://goo.gl/maps/ZcKd98rnE3p3JWSv8

7 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I rarely go down Abbeydale Road to be honest, my bus goes via Chesterfield Road - and I've not left S17/S18 since lockdown as I've been working from home! Will save them putting the signs back up come winter I suppose.

My curiosity at the moment with these bus route changes is have they rebuilt the bend where Carver Street becomes Wellington Street to make it a little less tight? https://goo.gl/maps/ZcKd98rnE3p3JWSv8

Yes, I understand your bus is via Chesterfield Road from previous comments, I just find it a little unnerving to leave up warning signs of such significance when it will just lead to people ignoring them if they see them every day.

Can't answer your question though - I very rarely go in that area.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, I understand your bus is via Chesterfield Road from previous comments, I just find it a little unnerving to leave up warning signs of such significance when it will just lead to people ignoring them if they see them every day.

Can't answer your question though - I very rarely go in that area.

I wonder if anyone has reported those signs to the council..

Assume this is the place to do it: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/form/roads-pavements/report-problem-with-road-sign-street-name-lit-bollard

Edited by Andy C

1 minute ago, Andy C said:

I wonder if anyone has reported those signs to the council..

Assume this is the place to do it: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/form/roads-pavements/report-problem-with-road-sign-street-name-lit-bollard

I haven't, but now you mention it, I will - but need to check whether the have removed the myriad of portable signs on the same subject first.

BTW - I know the link, ta - used it a number of times after the big resurfacing campaign.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I haven't, but now you mention it, I will - but need to check whether the have removed the myriad of portable signs on the same subject first.

BTW - I know the link, ta - used it a number of times after the big resurfacing campaign.

good to hear you are one of the proactive community minded ones, so many complain on forums that "they" haven't done something but wouldn't dream of constructively helping it happen themselves!

Just now, Andy C said:

good to hear you are one of the proactive community minded ones, so many complain on forums that "they" haven't done something but wouldn't dream of constructively helping it happen themselves!

Exactly -it is pointless moaning about something unless you have tried to sort it. Getting rid of the clutter after the resurfacing fun took almost three months of badgering, but at least it meant I ended up with a dedicated contact for that exercise - unfortunately they have moved onto a better job in Bristol, so I can't use them.

TM Travel are complaining they are having to postpone an increased service on bus 30 due to the diversion via Carver Street being imposed by the council before associated road works on Furnival Gate (Moorhead) have been completed!

http://www.tmtravel.co.uk/

Edited by Andy C

1 hour ago, Martin C said:

Concerns from a bus point of view...

Has the tight right bend from Carver Street onto Wellington Street been rebuilt for buses to get round?

The roadworks to install the bus gate on Furnival Gate (top of Moor) for diverted buses won't be completed for at least a week after these road closures and diversions have been implemented, leaving diverted buses having to go a circuitous route via Moorfoot.

Bus stops on Carver Street are described as "temporary". So presumably no shelters, timetable posters or electronic departure screens.

Has there been any upgrade to the bus stops and information on Arundel Gate?

Are there safety issues for the pay & display car parks accessed from Carver Street that will now have bus stops next to their entrance/exit?

Public information campaign is very limited and last minute.

In the event of a break down or other road blockage on the new bus route the few suitable alternatives could be problematic - not that this route is particularly suitable as a busy main City Centre bus corridor!

Edited by Andy C

1 minute ago, Andy C said:

Concerns from a bus point of view...

Has the tight right bend from Carver Street onto Wellington Street been rebuilt for buses to get round?

The roadworks to install the bus gate on Furnival Gate (top of Moor) for diverted buses won't be completed for at least a week after these road closures and diversions have been implemented, leaving diverted buses having to go a circuitous route via Moorfoot.

Bus stops on Carver Street are described as "temporary". So presumably no shelters, timetable posters or electronic departure screens.

Has there been any upgrade to the bus stops and information on Arundel Gate?

Are there safety issues for the pay & display car parks accessed from Carver Street that will now have bus stops next to their entrance/exit?

I doubt they all have, maybe some but I am not that convinced. We need Planner1 to come on here and give his considered opinion.