Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

@Andy C- So where do the buses, diverted due to your posted link re: diversions go at night then? Back on their old routes?

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Andy C- So where do the buses, diverted due to your posted link re: diversions go at night then? Back on their old routes?

no mention.  Bus info was copied and pasted from here: https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/disruptions

They can't go their old route as Leopold Street will be closed. When they say at night, what time? After buses finish at midnight?

I cannot find reference to this on the council information about the changes. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/roads-pavements/changes-footpaths-highways-covid-19

Edited by Andy C

11 minutes ago, Andy C said:

no mention. They can't go their old route as Leopold Street will be closed.

When they say at night, what time? After buses finish at midnight?

Obvious alternative I guess would be the way the 10 goes, that turns right by West Street tram stop and heads down Westfield Terrace. Not sure that would be a good idea for bigger buses though!

I am aware Leopold Street will be shut - bit a tongue in cheek comment.

If it is after the buses finish, what will that achieve, except even more confusion? And by that time anyway, a lot of people will have left the city centre.

The alternative you suggest wouldn't work for about 98% of the First/Stagecoach fleet in Sheffield - they are 33' long - no way will you safely get those round the corner!!

Edited by RollingJ
Grammar

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I am aware Leopold Street will be shut - bit a tongue in cheek comment.

If it is after the buses finish, what will that achieve, except even more confusion? And by that time anyway, a lot of people will have left the city centre.

The alternative you suggest wouldn't work for about 98% of the First/Stagecoach fleet in Sheffield - they are 33' long - no way will you safely get those round the corner!!

I deleted that comment when I discovered they are reversing the one way direction of that road so it won't be possible anyway!

Edited by Andy C

I've just looked at the source of the Carver Street at night thing. This isn't going to happen until after lockdown, it is projected for 2020-21 between 8pm and 2am for the safety of those enjoying the nightlife, this is something that usually happens during Christmas party season.

The small print states completion 2020/21 so may not be imminent.

11 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I've just looked at the source of the Carver Street at night thing. This isn't going to happen until after lockdown, it is projected for 2020-21 between 8pm and 2am for the safety of those enjoying the nightlife, this is something that usually happens during Christmas party season.

So still no buses on any routes using Carver St. - especially at the times they are likely to be needed?

I call that joined-up thinking - not!

23 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So still no buses on any routes using Carver St. - especially at the times they are likely to be needed?

I call that joined-up thinking - not!

Buses are only going that way whilst Covid-19 restrictions are in place - the closure of Leopold Street and some other roads is to give pedestrians/shoppers space to social distance and also to cater for the increase in cycling.

Pubs and bars are expected to be allowed to reopen from 4th July but social distancing measures will be in force, normal nightlife is unlikely to return for a few months yet and the night time closure of Carver Street won't happen until then.

At the point normal nightlife resumes all the social distancing measures including the closure of Leopold Street will be gone. Unless someone decides permanent pedestrianisation is a good idea.... 

5 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Buses are only going that way whilst Covid-19 restrictions are in place - the closure of Leopold Street and some other roads is to give pedestrians/shoppers space to social distance and also to cater for the increase in cycling.

Pubs and bars are expected to be allowed to reopen from 4th July but social distancing measures will be in force, normal nightlife is unlikely to return for a few months yet and the night time closure of Carver Street won't happen until then.

At the point normal nightlife resumes all the social distancing measures including the closure of Leopold Street will be gone. Unless someone decides permanent pedestrianisation is a good idea.... 

OK, @Andy C I'll accept your above analysis of the situation - I'll admit I haven't been following that closely as it hasn't really affected me.

What still does worry me though is SCC's definition of temporary - I see too many of these situation becoming permanent, probably because it is too much like hard work for someone to reverse them.

As to the Leopold Street closure becoming permanent - please don't give these idiots any ideas.

Not directly related, but to illustrate my point - certain sections of Abbeydale Road South/Abbeydale Road are still sporting ice and slippery road warning, some of them attached permanently to poles specially erected for them - in mid-June!! How can you trust such an incompetent organisation - I certainly don't.

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK, @Andy C I'll accept your above analysis of the situation - I'll admit I haven't been following that closely as it hasn't really affected me.

What still does worry me though is SCC's definition of temporary - I see too many of these situation becoming permanent, probably because it is too much like hard work for someone to reverse them.

As to the Leopold Street closure becoming permanent - please don't give these idiots any ideas.

Not directly related, but to illustrate my point - certain sections of Abbeydale Road South/Abbeydale Road are still sporting ice and slippery road warning, some of them attached permanently to poles specially erected for them - in mid-June!! How can you trust such an incompetent organisation - I certainly don't.

Pinstone Street will be closed permanently. They're shortly removing the pedestrian island at the junction of Pinstone Street and Furnival Gate so buses can continue straight across. They were supposed to be sorting out works to allow left turning facility from West Street onto Carver Street, but looks as though this has also been pushed back a few weeks, like the Furnival Gate works.

Once again, very joined up planning!

😄😄😄

4 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Pinstone Street will be closed permanently. They're shortly removing the pedestrian island at the junction of Pinstone Street and Furnival Gate so buses can continue straight across. They were supposed to be sorting out works to allow left turning facility from West Street onto Carver Street, but looks as though this has also been pushed back a few weeks, like the Furnival Gate works.

Once again, very joined up planning!

😄😄😄

Your opinion, @Michael_N, to which you are entitled, although I fail to share it.

Any comment to offer on the not directly related part of my quoted post??

If Leopold Street closure is permanent then I really hope there has been some bigger picture developments to go with it - providing decent facilities for bus passengers on Carver Street and Arundel Gate for example and general thought about road layout on the diversion down Carver Street and Charter Square - room for buses to pass approaching Moorhead and cars accessing car parks for example. There is also the issue of available diversionary routes for buses if a road is closed.