Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, altus said:

It's not just about you, it's about everybody. It's better that 10 people can socially distance than one person can and the rest have to cram together.

I know that.

Im talking about this specific change in Broomhill.

im just not convinced that particular area is going to be benefitted by everyone having to walk up towards that particular row of shops. 

I get people might need to walk in that direction but there’s the other side of the road.

i just think now your gonna have a load of empty spaces where people could previously quickly get in and out with minimum contact to much more people walking in that area.

i go there regularly and it seems pretty ok as it is to me.

Edited by makapaka

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I know that.

Im talking about this specific change in Broomhill.

im just not convinced that particular area is going to be benefitted by everyone having to walk up towards that particular row of shops. 

I get people might need to walk in that direction but there’s the other side of the road.

i just think now your gonna have a load of empty spaces where people could previously quickly get in and out with minimum contact to much more people walking in that area.

i go there regularly and it seems pretty ok as it is to me.

"The same lack of awareness applies on the others side of the road to where access is blocked to the pharmacy, cash machine, post office and peoples homes and business at the same time causing congestion, noise and pollution on the roads."

(my bolds)

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"The same lack of awareness applies on the others side of the road to where access is blocked to the pharmacy, cash machine, post office and peoples homes and business at the same time causing congestion, noise and pollution on the roads."

(my bolds)

Yes but that’s different because people shouldn’t park there. im not advocating people double parking on the other side of the road it should be stopped and enforced as it would any other time. 

there’s  no lack of awareness in people parking in designated parking spaces - the discussion is whether those designated spaces should be taken away.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Yes but that’s different because people shouldn’t park there. im not advocating people double parking on the other side of the road it should be stopped and enforced as it would any other time. 

there’s  no lack of awareness in people parking in designated parking spaces - the discussion is whether those designated spaces should be taken away.

Do these drivers need to be told that their parking is causing a problem by obstructing the footway to allow social distancing? 

Can they accept that most people want to social distance and that their parking is denying this.

Would  a simple sign saying so work?  No.

So the rest of need to pay to  manage their lack of awareness and consideration?

Just because their is a space it does not remove the responsibility  to consider others.

Ironically this same spot has been subject to permanent and temporary bay closures in the last few years with the associated lack of consideration for those working and walking.

Guest makapaka
48 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Do these drivers need to be told that their parking is causing a problem by obstructing the footway to allow social distancing? 

Can they accept that most people want to social distance and that their parking is denying this.

Would  a simple sign saying so work?  No.

So the rest of need to pay to  manage their lack of awareness and consideration?

Just because their is a space it does not remove the responsibility  to consider others.

Ironically this same spot has been subject to permanent and temporary bay closures in the last few years with the associated lack of consideration for those working and walking.

The parking doesn’t obstruct the foot way.

i agree the footway is narrow but people tend to just walk behind the cars as they have done for decades.

its not a lack of  awareness or consideration to park in designated parking places - theyre just parking places.

the discussion is if by removing those parking places does it make It more safe.

im not convinced in this instance it does.

this isn’t about someone acting selfishly. 

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

The parking doesn’t obstruct the foot way.

i agree the footway is narrow but people tend to just walk behind the cars as they have done for decades.

its not a lack of  awareness or consideration to park in designated parking places - theyre just parking places.

the discussion is if by removing those parking places does it make It more safe.

im not convinced in this instance it does.

this isn’t about someone acting selfishly. 

Are you seriously suggesting that walking in the road behind cars and vans which are about to reverse should be encouraged?

Are you aware  of the presence of hundreds of accompanied and unaccompanied children, people with prams and toddlers, pets or shopping trolley? Can you see them or the cyclist? Are they not in your "blind spot"?

These controlled and designated parking spaces where designed for the cars of the 70s not for the tractors more concerned about there rear end than the pedestrian in front who they obstruct by leaving their front ends over the footway with no awareness that they are obligeing people  to walk on the, behind them in their blind spot.

Everyone should be aware of social distancing and hopefully be aware of the needs of others.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Are you seriously suggesting that walking in the road behind cars and vans which are about to reverse should be encouraged?

Are you aware  of the presence of hundreds of accompanied and unaccompanied children, people with prams and toddlers, pets or shopping trolley? Can you see them or the cyclist? Are they not in your "blind spot"?

These controlled and designated parking spaces where designed for the cars of the 70s not for the tractors more concerned about there rear end than the pedestrian in front who they obstruct by leaving their front ends over the footway with no awareness that they are obligeing people  to walk on the, behind them in their blind spot.

Everyone should be aware of social distancing and hopefully be aware of the needs of others.

Why all of a sudden has this area become so dangerous now there’s a lot less people about and less places to go to? 

are you arguing that this is necessary due to social distancing or because of bad drivers?

Has any thought been given to access to Town Hall/register office? If Pinstone Street is closed how would a Bride in all her fineary get into Town Hall? would they be expected to walk from a distant carpark/drop off point?. If Pinstone Street is closed one would assume Surrey Street will also be closed at side of Town Hall otherwise where will traffic from Surrey Street go? U turn and go wrong way back down a one way street?

As a side thought, going on for a permanent change - would any of the following be achievable:

1) Pinstone Street / Furnival Gate junction - allow through traffic to carry straight across at this junction, rather than having to turn into Pinstone Street from Charter Row

2) West Street / Carver Street junction - allow left turns from Church Street direction, allowing buses that currently use Leopold Street/Pinstone Street to turn into Carver Street, following this round onto Wellington Street and then onto Rockingham Street to meet up at Charter Row.

By allowing these 2 changes, then all buses could be re-routed effectively away from Pinstone Street with limited impact on walking diatances, with potential to open up further redevelopment around the Carver Street/Rockingham Street areas? This would then follow a similar approach to city centres like Birmingham, where bus stops are located on the outskirts of the city centre at multiple interchange points - and most of the city centre is then pedestrianised as a result.

Perhaps another idea for buses - could be to allow buses to turn right from Church Street directly only Townhead Street down to Tenter Street. This could then allow services to run up to either Western Bank or down towards West Bar and on to Penistone Road/Shalesmoor?

2 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

As a side thought, going on for a permanent change - would any of the following be achievable:

1) Pinstone Street / Furnival Gate junction - allow through traffic to carry straight across at this junction, rather than having to turn into Pinstone Street from Charter Row

2) West Street / Carver Street junction - allow left turns from Church Street direction, allowing buses that currently use Leopold Street/Pinstone Street to turn into Carver Street, following this round onto Wellington Street and then onto Rockingham Street to meet up at Charter Row.

By allowing these 2 changes, then all buses could be re-routed effectively away from Pinstone Street with limited impact on walking diatances, with potential to open up further redevelopment around the Carver Street/Rockingham Street areas? This would then follow a similar approach to city centres like Birmingham, where bus stops are located on the outskirts of the city centre at multiple interchange points - and most of the city centre is then pedestrianised as a result.

Perhaps another idea for buses - could be to allow buses to turn right from Church Street directly only Townhead Street down to Tenter Street. This could then allow services to run up to either Western Bank or down towards West Bar and on to Penistone Road/Shalesmoor?

Considering all the changes which are due to come into force in the next few weeks, is there an actual map of where all the buses will have to be rerouted & where all the bus stops will be re-sited?