Closing Roads To Traffic & Widening Pavements For Social Distancing

Do I spy some very selective part-quoting here? :wink:

25 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I think we all know who does not have the answers. 

That's you too isn't it, by your own admission!

As I've already said, no one (including those in charge) has all the answers and nothing they do will please everyone.

Guest busdriver1
14 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

That's you too isn't it, by your own admission!

As I've already said, no one (including those in charge) has all the answers and nothing they do will please everyone.

Major Difference. i am not spending a fortune of everyone's money to prove that point. 

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Ultimately, roads are closed using legal orders. People have the right to object to them if they feel it isn't a good idea. Councillors will have approved the closure and councillors have to consider the objections. The councillors are accountable to the electors at the ballot box. That's the democratic process and you can have your say. 

Oooo selective snipping ( My previous council employment coming out 😀)

Lets just get this said and then we can appreciate exactly how it works.

Councils employ for a lesser wage, those that are not up to working in private industry, that is the way of the world, Always has been.  They stay there because well, where else would they go? They get very good at avoiding difficult situations because they have to. They always use the get out of blaming the elected officials and telling us they can be voted out. Yes, they can, but the council employees remain because its very hard to replace them with good staff who wont work for the money on offer. The elected officials look to these employees for guidance and get what they pay for. I worked for a council, I know the way it works, always has done and probably always will.  That is why no matter who we elect we will always get the same shambolic schemes because its the same underperformers coming up with them.  We are in a rut and there is ne real way out of it. 

16 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Oooo selective snipping ( My previous council employment coming out 😀)

Lets just get this said and then we can appreciate exactly how it works.

Councils employ for a lesser wage, those that are not up to working in private industry, that is the way of the world, Always has been.  They stay there because well, where else would they go? They get very good at avoiding difficult situations because they have to. They always use the get out of blaming the elected officials and telling us they can be voted out. Yes, they can, but the council employees remain because its very hard to replace them with good staff who wont work for the money on offer. The elected officials look to these employees for guidance and get what they pay for. I worked for a council, I know the way it works, always has done and probably always will.  That is why no matter who we elect we will always get the same shambolic schemes because its the same underperformers coming up with them.  We are in a rut and there is ne real way out of it. 

So, let's summarise.

Everyone who works for councils is rubbish and, from your previous posts, everyone who does similar work for the private sector (ie consultants) is rubbish too.

You don't know what the answer is, but you do like to moan about it anyway...…………….

The personal comments can stop now. If you cant have a civil discussion then please dont post.

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

Surely, something could be done through re-designing the T-junction at The Moor/Charter Road/Furnival Gate, by allowing traffic from Charter Row to continue straight across down Furnival Gate to the roundabout on Arundel Gate? That way you avoid the u-turns on Pinstone Street and all traffic been directed up to Cross Burgess Street and round by City Hall. 

Could anyone explain the rationale for this set-up? It's baffled me for years.

Apart from the dangerous u-turns, all it seems to achieve is to make journeys longer and increase pollution.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Please provide evidence that I suggested such.

"For others they will see it quite rightly as another nail being banged into the coffin of Sheffield city centre."

I would interpret the above quote from yourself to mean a drop in visitors, a drop in spend. If not, what do you mean by it?

1 hour ago, probedb said:

I've never killed anyone and I'm a motorist. Perhaps stop making such ridiculous generalisations. Wasps and bees kill people, so do spiders and fungi, shall we rid the world of them too?

Quite clearly, it's a general comment. Why would I pick out a particular motorist, you for example, and extrapolate from there to conclude that motorists kill no one. I would make the wrong conclusion.

They as a group kill and maim people, they drive vehicles which emit fumes which have detrimental impacts on peoples lives.

As for ridding the world of bees, there are a handful of deaths caused by bee stings each year. 27500 ish deaths or serious injuries caused by cars. Air pollution causes 40000 to 60000 deaths per year.

29 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Could anyone explain the rationale for this set-up? It's baffled me for years.

Apart from the dangerous u-turns, all it seems to achieve is to make journeys longer and increase pollution.

Because cars would be nose to tail, stationary, engines running, along charter row, past Moorhead and onto furnival gate.

16 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Because cars would be nose to tail, stationary, engines running, along charter row, past Moorhead and onto furnival gate.

Absolute nonsense.

How can it be right to let one direction of traffic on the same junction flow quite freely and the other direction of traffic be forced to leave artirial road  go up a narrow street, compete with cars already queuing to get into John Lewis car park  go up a second narrow street competing with shoppers, students and boozers on the slim payments of Division Street.  

How is that possibly creating less traffic pollution and hazard than simpy allowing both directions to freely flow between Charter Square and Furnival Gate which is what it was designed for.  

Isn't the reality that they didn't have the balls to close it off altogether because they knew the owners of certain departments stores and car parks would raise hell - so instead they have bodged it with a lazy crude solution which now just causes havoc to the surrounding smaller streets.

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Isn't the reality that they didn't have the balls to close it off altogether because they knew the owners of certain departments stores and car parks would raise hell - so instead they have bodged it with a lazy crude solution which now just causes havoc to the surrounding smaller streets.

There was a plan a good few years ago now to close it to general traffic in both directions. The situation as you see it now was the half way house first step.  There was a change in political control of the council and the incoming party would not approve the full closure. When control changed back, there wasn't an appetite to revisit it.

Edited by Planner1

51 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Oh, I thought there must be a good reason. :huh:

Anyone else, please?