Shearing Holiday Group Have Gone Bust

Shearings have been in trouble for years.  A friend of mine worked for them and regaled me with tales of takeovers and new owners being shocked at the state of the hotels and how much it would cost to upgrade them, not to mention the declining number of customers.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Shearings have been in trouble for years.  A friend of mine worked for them and regaled me with tales of takeovers and new owners being shocked at the state of the hotels and how much it would cost to upgrade them, not to mention the declining number of customers.

That's the unfortunate vicious circle that companies like that face.  Declining customers = no money to invest in their assets =  further decline in customers ....round and round it goes.

Companies like Shearings could never compete with the the draw of cheap package holidays abroad frequented by the masses but nor could they provide the accommodation standard and service expected by the more discerning well-heeled, sophisticated customers who chose to keep their holidays in England.

Absolute rock and a hard place.  

Now there is potential that more and more people will be staying at home for the holidays it's too late.  Just the same as other "traditional" struggling chains such as Britannia, Quality, Thistle and Royal British hotels their premises are simply not up to the standard that younger modern consumers demand. 

When people can get a night at Premier Inn which, although soleless and absolutely clinical, they know will be absolutely clean and uniform no matter what part of the country they go for £29, £40 £60 - how on earth are are companies like Shearings properties, with their 'character',  mismatch of rooms, wobbly fittings and complimentary pubic hair on the kettle (yes that actually happened to me) ever going to compete when they have to charge at least double a night just to cover their costs.  

We consumers vote with our feet and we are all fickle buggers with no loyalty. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

The Shearings brand (and operation?) has been acquired by Leger Holidays.

We will have to see how it goes, but they obviously think they can make use of it.

sadly ive been told that the Royal hotel in whitby has remained shut as it was owned by Shearings. really hope that is included in this buy out as its the largest and most iconic in whitby, its where bram stoker got the idea for dracula after looking out over the harbour towards the abbey

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

sadly ive been told that the Royal hotel in whitby has remained shut as it was owned by Shearings. really hope that is included in this buy out as its the largest and most iconic in whitby, its where bram stoker got the idea for dracula after looking out over the harbour towards the abbey

I think the 'Shearings' site is back up - try it and see if they are offering trips/accommodation there.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I think the 'Shearings' site is back up - try it and see if they are offering trips/accommodation there.

im the last person to ask about navigating things on holiday sites i dont go on holiday lol, i dont have a clue

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

im the last person to ask about navigating things on holiday sites i dont go on holiday lol, i dont have a clue

OK, it was only a suggestion.:wink:

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK, it was only a suggestion.:wink:

I had a look, theres no search function what i saw, no idea how you find a particular hotel on it otherwise

12 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I had a look, theres no search function what i saw, no idea how you find a particular hotel on it otherwise

There is a search function, and yes, The Royal is where you'd be staying. It may still be showing as closed, because there are no planned holidays (there, at least), until October.

Edited by RollingJ
punctuation