Furloughed Colleagues

2 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Cancel the payment of everyones Bill's and that's enough for people to survive on. 

Which bills?  Rent/mortgage, car finance, credit cards, broadband, phone, Sky/Netflix, electricity, council tax?

Who pays all those creditors in the interim?  If it's the Government, perhaps they have already thought of that and combined it with all the other consequences of mass unemployment and determined that the furlough scheme is better?

West 77 suggested it would be cheaper (or make more financial sense in his words) to let companies fail now and extend mortgage holidays for those laid off.  He didn't offer any figures to back that up though.

21 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Which bills?  Rent/mortgage, car finance, credit cards, broadband, phone, Sky/Netflix, electricity, council tax?

Who pays all those creditors in the interim?  If it's the Government, perhaps they have already thought of that and combined it with all the other consequences of mass unemployment and determined that the furlough scheme is better?

West 77 suggested it would be cheaper (or make more financial sense in his words) to let companies fail now and extend mortgage holidays for those laid off.  He didn't offer any figures to back that up though.

Exactly. If you cancel all of those Bill's and put the furloughed on UC, survival is possible. It's an awkward situation and whilst I'm on 80% of my wage I still need to pay 100% of my bills, leaving what's left down considerably. Now since there's very little to spend money on right now other than food and perhaps a takeaway if you feel flush most people can manage. Whilst it's not about personal circumstance to put me on UC would see me eventually homeless, car repossessed, savings depleted to nothing and finally a credit score so smashed to pieces getting back to my current circumstances would be very difficult and that would feel like quite a kick in the balls. I consider myself relatively debt free besides the car I pay for and there are folks out there in much worse positions than I. 

I'm unsure if we should 'let' any business fail right now as we will need every possible business and some new ones to bring the economy back to life. Personally I think we've been rather lucky to have a government willing to give us 80% and more importantly some companies have used their own capital to bump their employees back to 100% which is a nice gesture.