Furloughed Colleagues

On 23/05/2020 at 13:08, mrcharlie said:

Hang on, it’s not just me!

I’m turning up for work everyday along with other work colleagues - everyone (not just me) is so angry and bitter it’s getting everybody down. I come home after work tired and stressed then see all the txts and SM alerts of furloughed colleagues doing what  they please. Now lock down is lifted I’m getting alerts and selfies from days out!! FFS

Ifs all well and good posters saying suck it up - I’d like to see the boot on the other foot.....!!

Just switch of facebook if you don't like what you see.

On 23/05/2020 at 23:01, Albert the Cat said:

You are so incredibly bitter it is quite unbelievable.   I actually pity you.  The people who are furloughed do not do it of their own volition.  The government backed scheme is not a freebie as you would like to imagine.  It is unfortunately very obvious that your little mind isn't able to understand the complexities of such an important move to stabilise the national economy.

You seem to just want to hate on a group of people that the right wing press points at.  So today it is furloughed workers.  Who's next?  Teachers?  How about NHS doctors and nurses when they next ask for a pay rise?

I am furloughed and myself and the wife have not been out once apart from food shopping. It's no fun!! Just suck it up, we are in it together. But when it's over I no longer have a job to go back to!!!!

I think the general advice about ignoring social media is the best thing to take away from this.

There are a lot of people that are clearly loving the fact that they are furloughed (some with their employer topping up the remaining 20% so are still on full pay) but there are obviously far far more that are not happy with it and want to be at work, contributing to society and nervous about their future employment when things start to get back to 'normal'.

35 minutes ago, bkcin said:

There are a lot of people that are clearly loving the fact that they are furloughed (some with their employer topping up the remaining 20% so are still on full pay) but there are obviously far far more that are not happy with it and want to be at work, contributing to society and nervous about their future employment when things start to get back to 'normal'.

Lots of people registered to volunteer, too many for them to use, I believe as I havnt heard back.

I have been out litter picking this week, now that restrictions are looser. Although strangely, the council are not allowed to encourage non-essential volunteering due to COV19.

How many people are volunteering or just doing something locally?

Edited by El Cid

On 25/05/2020 at 00:58, Albert the Cat said:

People like mrcharlie have already made their minds up.  There really is no possibility of convincing them otherwise.  It is completely bizarre and totally unreasonable to have such animosity towards a group of people that had no choice in their circumstance.  They are simply like sheep who just take an opinion that is fashionable at the time.  The right wing press have their sights firmly set on furloughed workers.  It will be the teachers next, especially when they do not want to die and question the government advice on the reopening of schools.  Then it will be eventually the NHS when the doctors and nurses want the pay rise they deserve.  It is quite disgraceful actually.

I have been working throughout the lockdown as I am a key worker.  I really do not mind it.  The only other place I go is the supermarket.  I would hate to be confined to the house more than I am now.  Also, I think you can look back in years to come and think 'I did my bit', however small that is.  If I was furloughed I would be really worried at the moment. 

Furlough is how  some companies have managed to stay in business, for some it will be how they have have kept paying people a bit longer before they downsize or close completely.

Some have used furlough to rearrange, reorganise, retool, reset IT etc. cheaply or without expensive downtime etc, afloat has enabled at least some changes.

Some used previously created contingency plans  to position itself to survive and take advantage .

To do this didn't select individuals, they didn't ask for volunteers they just implemented their plans asap eg by creating two teams from top to bottom -one on furlough and one not. HR will be busy to planning responses the financial situation.

They will have agreed procedures for redundancies which cannot refer the furlough business.

For some who are unhappy with their situation it is a good time to look around with the aim of leaving and doing something else.

Two redundancies  by Thatcher taught me  to prepare to  jump before the axe.

I read there are 8 million furloughed. 8 million. Now rather than give those 8m 80% of their wages, give them UC at, what £90 A week. I don't know how the economy would recover from that.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I read there are 8 million furloughed. 8 million. Now rather than give those 8m 80% of their wages, give them UC at, what £90 A week. I don't know how the economy would recover from that.

Cancel the payment of everyones Bill's and that's enough for people to survive on. 

2 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Cancel the payment of everyones Bill's and that's enough for people to survive on. 

Which bills?  Rent/mortgage, car finance, credit cards, broadband, phone, Sky/Netflix, electricity, council tax?

Who pays all those creditors in the interim?  If it's the Government, perhaps they have already thought of that and combined it with all the other consequences of mass unemployment and determined that the furlough scheme is better?

West 77 suggested it would be cheaper (or make more financial sense in his words) to let companies fail now and extend mortgage holidays for those laid off.  He didn't offer any figures to back that up though.

21 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Which bills?  Rent/mortgage, car finance, credit cards, broadband, phone, Sky/Netflix, electricity, council tax?

Who pays all those creditors in the interim?  If it's the Government, perhaps they have already thought of that and combined it with all the other consequences of mass unemployment and determined that the furlough scheme is better?

West 77 suggested it would be cheaper (or make more financial sense in his words) to let companies fail now and extend mortgage holidays for those laid off.  He didn't offer any figures to back that up though.

Exactly. If you cancel all of those Bill's and put the furloughed on UC, survival is possible. It's an awkward situation and whilst I'm on 80% of my wage I still need to pay 100% of my bills, leaving what's left down considerably. Now since there's very little to spend money on right now other than food and perhaps a takeaway if you feel flush most people can manage. Whilst it's not about personal circumstance to put me on UC would see me eventually homeless, car repossessed, savings depleted to nothing and finally a credit score so smashed to pieces getting back to my current circumstances would be very difficult and that would feel like quite a kick in the balls. I consider myself relatively debt free besides the car I pay for and there are folks out there in much worse positions than I. 

I'm unsure if we should 'let' any business fail right now as we will need every possible business and some new ones to bring the economy back to life. Personally I think we've been rather lucky to have a government willing to give us 80% and more importantly some companies have used their own capital to bump their employees back to 100% which is a nice gesture.