Furloughed Colleagues

1 hour ago, mrcharlie said:

Hang on, it’s not just me!

I’m turning up for work everyday along with other work colleagues - everyone (not just me) is so angry and bitter it’s getting everybody down. I come home after work tired and stressed then see all the txts and SM alerts of furloughed colleagues doing what  they please. Now lock down is lifted I’m getting alerts and selfies from days out!! FFS

Ifs all well and good posters saying suck it up - I’d like to see the boot on the other foot.....!!

So leave and get another job! Stop whinging. My partner is furloughed, she works for a department store, which isn't allowed to open. What do you and suggest her and her colleagues do? The government offers aid to companies that would otherwise have to make staff redundant. What do you want those employees to do? They are offered 80% full pay and are told not to volunteer or do any work at their employers as it will break the furlough agreement. It's up to those people how they chose to spend their time while furloughed.

If you or your colleagues cannot deal with this then mute their updates on social media if it's important to you to remain on social media. Get on with YOUR life and stopped bemoaning how others are spending theirs.

I'm lucky, my job has always been possible working from home and I'm glad of that.

If you want to blame anyone then blame the government, they created the scheme, not your colleagues, not your employers but the government.

So stop being so bitter and twisted and grow up.

On 22/05/2020 at 13:49, Arnold_Lane said:

Furlough has to be for a minimum period of three weeks but can be done multiple times.  But each time has to be for three weeks.

So, can you explain how your company has managed to furlough half its staff for four weeks? 

Did you not read what you wrote before posting?

Furlough can be anything from 3 weeks and up. It doesn't mean furlough has to be in multiples of 3.

@Bargepole23, post #35:  Re hospital nurses bring furloughed. Yes, it is in the UK and in fact, South Yorkshire. 

@mrcharlie - the only person who can deal with your resentful feelings is you. Other posters have accused you of whinging. You have some justification perhaps. However, you are doing yourself no favours by harbouring such feelings. You are alive, fit enough to earn your living, have a roof over your head and food in the pantry.  Presumably you  have supportive  family and friends. If you carry this anger on people will not want to be with you.

Don’t want to sound as if I am lecturing (I don’t mean to), but as a much older person who has experienced far worse than this, my advice would be to switch off social media,  go to work, do your best without grumbling and to go home and concentrate on things that enhance your life.  This will pass and you can look back knowing that you did your bit to get this country back on it’s feet. I don’t know what your job is, but as an OAP I thank you (and others in the workforce)  for your efforts in keeping the economy going. 

Edited by Jomie

2 hours ago, Resident said:

Did you not read what you wrote before posting?

Furlough can be anything from 3 weeks and up. It doesn't mean furlough has to be in multiples of 3.

Wrong.

https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/must-employees-be-placed-on-periods-of-furlough-in-three-week-blocks/165229/

17 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Wrong.

https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/must-employees-be-placed-on-periods-of-furlough-in-three-week-blocks/165229/

Have you read this part in your link?

"A period of furlough can last more than three weeks. The HMRC guidance confirms that a period of furlough can be extended for any amount of time (up to the scheme end date) while the employee is on furlough."

I'm reading that as a minimum of three weeks, then any amount of time after that, three weeks and a day even?

21 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Have you read this part in your link?

"A period of furlough can last more than three weeks. The HMRC guidance confirms that a period of furlough can be extended for any amount of time (up to the scheme end date) while the employee is on furlough."

I'm reading that as a minimum of three weeks, then any amount of time after that, three weeks and a day even?

Ok, yes.

My experience of furlough is that staff are being told they are furloughed and it’s reviewed every three weeks.  If it’s then extended it has to be for another three weeks.  That is in accordance with what is written in the link.

“Where an employee is furloughed more than once, it is each individual furlough period that must last at least three weeks, not the total time the employee is furloughed. For example, if an employee returns to work after a three-week period of furlough and is later placed back on furlough, the second period must also last at least three weeks for the employer to be able to claim for that period under the scheme.”

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

Every person on furlough have different circumstances.  I know a few who are in receipt of it.  All report being effectively better off on 80% of their wage while under lock down restrictions. This as they have not been spending money on fuel to get to work they normally do,  ‘out and about’ on impulse purchases, sessions down the boozer and romantic dinners in expensive eateries.  The biggest worry for them all is whether they will have a secure job to go back to.

Anyone who earns a lot more than £30k and is furloughed is certainly not better off.

Staff receiving 80% wage aren’t spending on expensive dinners, trips to the pub etc.  But those on 100% aren’t able to either as everything is shut anyway  So, by the same logic,  they too are better off.  

Edited by Arnold_Lane

26 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Ok, yes.

My experience of furlough is that staff are being told they are furloughed and it’s reviewed every three weeks.  If it’s then extended it has to be for another three weeks.  That is in accordance with what is written in the link.

But it doesn't say that in your link, it says a minimum period of three weeks, then it can be extended for any length of time. While the scheme still exists of course.

I think you are confusing it with people who have been took off furlough then put back on it. They would then have to do a minimum of three weeks again.

Just to add, furlough doesn't come in three week blocks, it's just a minimum of three weeks from the date you were furloughed.

Edited by Dardandec

7 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

But it doesn't say that in your link, it says a minimum period of three weeks, then it can be extended for any length of time. While the scheme still exists of course.

I think you are confusing it with people who have been took off furlough then put back on it. They would then have to do a minimum of three weeks again.

Just to add, furlough doesn't come in three week blocks, it's just a minimum of three weeks from the date you were furloughed.

I fear you are correct.  

As I say, my experience of the scheme is staff are being furloughed for three weeks, it’s being reviewed by management during each third week and thus for always been extended for another 3 weeks.  The staff aren’t coming back to work in between but it still counts as an extension.

So yeah, MrCharlie could have been furloughed for 4 weeks.  My mistake.  I fundamentally disagree with his bitterness for reasons many have pointed out here and suggest he stops looking at posts that upset him.

11 hours ago, mrcharlie said:

July?? I thought it was announced it was being extended until October??

But, given the footage of all the lemmings flocking to the coast, inevitably the R number will rise dramatically and come autumn the pandemic will probably shift up a gear.....way to go selfish furlougher’s 

you all have some fun, god knows you’re getting paid enough and when the pandemic comes surging back (as it will no doubt do now) we will all know exactly who to point the finger at.

yes, bitter much

You are so incredibly bitter it is quite unbelievable.   I actually pity you.  The people who are furloughed do not do it of their own volition.  The government backed scheme is not a freebie as you would like to imagine.  It is unfortunately very obvious that your little mind isn't able to understand the complexities of such an important move to stabilise the national economy.

You seem to just want to hate on a group of people that the right wing press points at.  So today it is furloughed workers.  Who's next?  Teachers?  How about NHS doctors and nurses when they next ask for a pay rise?

Edited by Albert the Cat

11 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

You are so incredibly bitter it is quite unbelievable.   I actually pity you.  The people who are furloughed do not do it of their own volition.  The government backed scheme is not a freebie as you would like to imagine.  It is unfortunately very obvious that your little mind isn't able to understand the complexities of such an important move to stabilise the national economy.

You seem to just want to hate on a group of people that the right wing press points at.  So today it is furloughed workers.  Who's next?  Teachers?  How about NHS doctors and nurses when they next ask for a pay rise?

I'm guessing Albert isn't being furloughed and is seething that other people are getting something that he isn't.

To think furloughed people are out sunning it up without a care in the world is a bit daft. I wasn't furloughed straight away but my job relies on jobs coming in to the business. Obviously that has dried up and there's no need for me to be there till work picks up again- if work picks up again. 

It's concerning knowing that the second the scheme ends the furloughed staff will be in the firing line for redundancy, that kind of takes the icing off the sunbathing cake. 

Lastly. Consider turning Facebook off and take note of the real world.

45 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

To think furloughed people are out sunning it up without a care in the world is a bit daft. I wasn't furloughed straight away but my job relies on jobs coming in to the business. Obviously that has dried up and there's no need for me to be there till work picks up again- if work picks up again. 

It's concerning knowing that the second the scheme ends the furloughed staff will be in the firing line for redundancy, that kind of takes the icing off the sunbathing cake. 

Lastly. Consider turning Facebook off and take note of the real world.

People like mrcharlie have already made their minds up.  There really is no possibility of convincing them otherwise.  It is completely bizarre and totally unreasonable to have such animosity towards a group of people that had no choice in their circumstance.  They are simply like sheep who just take an opinion that is fashionable at the time.  The right wing press have their sights firmly set on furloughed workers.  It will be the teachers next, especially when they do not want to die and question the government advice on the reopening of schools.  Then it will be eventually the NHS when the doctors and nurses want the pay rise they deserve.  It is quite disgraceful actually.

Edited by Albert the Cat