Car Tax advice please

All. 

I am buying a car tonight (private sale) do I need to tax it myself today before I go, or can I drive home without doing it and tax it after DVLA have been updated via the log book of the new keeper as it will still be taxed under the previous owners name ? 

I am not sure how it works as tax does not carry over now does it? 

Thanks in advance 

Tax doesn't carry over.

Legally you should not be driving an untaxed car- you would need to tax it prior to buying as far as I know.

You can get the logbook info from seller (V5C) and tax the car online before you go to pick up.

you could actually log on in the presence of the seller and tax it there and then if they has the documents.

A lot of sellers say "tax to get you home".

That means they don't notify the DVLA until the next day, to give you chance to get it home and tax it yourself.

Isn't the car taxed until the current owner tells the DVLA not to tax it?  It doesn't matter for taxing purposes who owns it or who is insured to drive it because you actually have to be insured to drive it home anyway.  If you passed an ANPR it would show as taxed whilst ever the current owned has said as much.

So, you can drive it home, the current owner tells the DVLA to cancel his tax whenever he so chooses and you retax it yourself?  Probably, like Alchresearch says, the next day.

Otherwise, the system seems quite stupid and the old way was better.  Would still work, even without actual discs. 

I'm asking.  I don't know.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

5 hours ago, alchresearch said:

A lot of sellers say "tax to get you home".

That means they don't notify the DVLA until the next day, to give you chance to get it home and tax it yourself.

or several days after that.

It's still perfectly acceptable to make the change of keeper via second class post, sell a car today or even yesterday and the DVLA are unlikely to know about it till next Tuesday at the earliest, thats 5 days or so.

New owner should tax it when they get it tho, you can use the new keeper supplement to do that.

Edited by geared