How To Monitor Other Computer Activity.

I have a question for the computer boys and if I knew where the computer forum had moved to I would ask it there, but I don't. So let me ask it here, please. Someone might know the answer.  I have seen reference to an office computer hookup whereby the boss can look on his own screen and see what every one of his staff are up to on their computer. I have 3 computers and only one monitor and no staff but would I be able to use all these computers at the same time but independent of oneanother and yet see what's going on with every computer during searches, or conversations or purchasing deals etc  on the one screen by switching it to the appropriate computer? What is such a system called?

Edited by nikki-red

May I ask, who is it that you want to spy on? ;)

There are several, teamviewer was a popular one and there are a number of VNC varients. 

Using this technology to monitor someone without their knowledge is likely to  viewed as gross misconduct by your employer and very possibly a criminal act.  

You could use the  technology to control multiple PC's, though you may have to physically turn them on. 

You also may find it more efficient to load all the applications on one PC and use them there. 

I'm trying to read between the lines of the OP but it does come across as a snoop.

Firstly, read the above. It is a very serious thing if you don't have permission.

If you mean you have a few PCs and only one monitor/keyboard and mouse, then a KVM Switch would do it.

As above, Teamviewer is very good remote software but only free for non-business use.

Although additional cables, and cost of the switch and such may not always be a solution..

I used to use windows remote desktop, since it was only me using the other machine(s) and they were just stood with no displays connected etc, it didn't matter - was just a machine dedicated to a task, that I accessed the desktop remotely... was only in another room tbh..

if it's only you ever going to use the machines, then this may be an option for you... let us know your particular use case with a little more detail if possible...

Thanks for your replies guys. Firstly I do not want to spy on anyone, however suspicious my question may sound.  I own all 3 computers and noone else uses them and I have no plans to change this. My question was based on just idle curiosity really and I haven't yet defined my purpose in having all 3 computers running with only one keyboard and mouse and monitor. Team Viewer and KVM switch sound useful in case I ever decide to go ahead. My last question is this  can the 3 computers each connect to different online addresses at the same time? Thanks again. Terry

Edited by woolyhead

12 hours ago, woolyhead said:

Thanks for your replies guys. Firstly I do not want to spy on anyone, however suspicious my question may sound.  I own all 3 computers and noone else uses them and I have no plans to change this. My question was based on just idle curiosity really and I haven't yet defined my purpose in having all 3 computers running with only one keyboard and mouse and monitor. Team Viewer and KVM switch sound useful in case I ever decide to go ahead. My last question is this  can the 3 computers each connect to different online addresses at the same time? Thanks again. Terry

The PCs will run independently, You could be watching a film on one, browsing the web on another, doing work on the 3rd. The KVM just switches the video output and connects the keyboard and mouse. The same with remote software but without the need for cables. I use a mix of Teamviewer and Microsoft Remote desktop when backing up my server to the backup systems. I find it much easier due to no cables, just a case of walking to the other PC and turning it on. If it's home use, Teamviewer is an excellent free option, just remember to setup unattended access and turn off the annoying system monitoring. Remote software can be limited with regards to things like video playback.

as above really. If they are all on the same network in different rooms, RDP is great,  in the same room, KVM switch is the way I would do it.

Without getting to complicated for access away from the network, teamviewer does the job.

Then you get into enterprise stuff.. I run software from Itarian at work and that gives me everything from mobile device control and monitoring to remote desktop access, monitoring of systems, batch device update control and a support ticket system.  Anything computer related is registered in 2 offices and controllable from anywhere I am.... current have 56 devices run this way including 3 machines located in the Philippines and I was lucky to start using this system before they started charging for it.  unfortunately im only scratching the surface of what it can do as im not a network administrator....  just a guy that likes computers at work. lol

Once again thanks everyone. You've been very helpful

You can also use Chrome Remote Desktop to view the desktops on the other machines. It's free and is excellent and cross platform. Can even use it on a mobile device to a desktop PC.

Avoid VNC if connecting from Windows to a Mac, it's desperately slow.

Syrnergy is great too until it stops working, which is at least once a week in my experience. Normally it hangs when you try and login to the server when a client is already running.

I just use RDP, I have a Windows 10 box which is my PC but no monitor and I RDP in from my work (Mac) maptop. Apart from the occasional forgetful key mess up I have no issues and can use it as if I was sat at the machine.