Which 24 Inch Or 27 Inch Computer Monitor ?

I need a new monitor for my pc and I fancy either a 27 inch one or a 24 inch. Does anyone have a suggestion about which make and model to go for?

What will the monitor be mainly used for? Editing photos, gaming, general browsing etc?

Edited by apelike

Hi Apelike. I suppose I might use it for all three things you ask about but for now it's for general browsing so my answer is I want it for everything if that's possible. I've seen screen response times as low as 1 mSec. What happens to the images if the screen is too slow? What images are these, gaming images that need a fast screen perhaps?

Edited by woolyhead

Another quick question... What are the specs of the computer you are using and what graphics? Internal or dedicated graphics card?

My preference is for ViewSonic from Ebuyer - have purchased 27" monitor with built in speakers, but I don't use them as I always think they sound tinny! The best thing is they have (you need to check specs), VGA, DVI and HDMI connections. 27 inches makes it that much easier to view two open apps at once or two windows of the same app if you are creating a new document or checking changes etc.

52 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

(you need to check specs), VGA, DVI and HDMI connections. 

@woolyhead

Take notice of this advice from Swarf. . Not all towers are compatible with all monitors in respect of the sockets.

I eventually managed to get my 'new' second hand tower working with my old flat screen monitor, but I bought quite a few different connectors and cables/devices etc, before I got things working.

2 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

27" monitor with built in speakers, but I don't use them as I always think they sound tinny!

I'd go for 27"

Fully agree about monitor speakers (generally)

We do need to know the output from your PC, if you're not sure of the name, just describe the plug/socket. There are a lot of types now but I'd say the main 3 are HDMI, DP (Display Port) and VGA (not used so much now)

Although it will work, adaptors are not the best option. Get the right monitor for the job.

THIS might help with the PC output types.

Edited by zach

Thanks for your replies guys. I have vga on the laptop, vga plus hdm1 on each of the two desktop PCs. I was thinking of getting the Acer KA270H 27 inch monitor but I'm also interested in the 24 inch Viewsonic  VX 2458-MHD.  The latter monitor has speakers and the former doesn't .  My eventual choice doesn't depend on speakers though. The Acer has many excellent customer reports but the Viewsonic has none so far. Both monitors have both VGA and HDM1. What should I do, wait and see if the Viewsonic gets customer reports? Or ask you to decide for me, kind sirs? The 27 incher's price is 140 quid and the 24 incher's price is114 and it has a 1mS response time. What does this fast response time do for me?

Edited by woolyhead

They both should give you a decent picture, the 144Hz and G-Sync would be better if you had the hardware to run it to it's potential. Response time is basically the time it takes to change colour. A more in depth explanation after a search on Google would be worth a read. I know money is usually a main factor but I have found that cheaper monitors can have a washed out look on colours. Lack of reviews can be down to many things, while they can be a guide, I wouldn't treat them as the final word.

Saying "It has a HDMI" doesn't really help with the hardware that's putting out the image. Are they onboard graphics such as Intel or are they dedicated graphics cards on the PCs? 

Last question, what is your budget?

Out of the two you mention and guessing that the video hardware is onboard, I'd go for the Acer, purely based on screen size and not wasting money on features you might not be able to use. But...I'd also be doing a lot more homework and looking around before I parted with my cash!

6 hours ago, zach said:

Out of the two you mention and guessing that the video hardware is onboard, I'd go for the Acer, purely based on screen size and not wasting money on features you might not be able to use. But...I'd also be doing a lot more homework and looking around before I parted with my cash!

Agreed... Definitely worth checking out some others, reviews/advice on YT and also importantly the panel types. The Acer is a VA panel and the Viewsonic a TN and both have differences in colour and viewing angels. Worth checking out some IPS ones as well. I tend to buy from Amazon because of their returns policy as you can try them and if not happy return them for a full refund providing you state that the return reason is because the colours were washed out, too heavy, not compatible, backlight bleed  etc. 

Also check that the monitor can be tilted for best viewing. I had to donate my first ViewSonic to a member of the family. Have had no issues with ViewSonic - just in Linux regarding sound - had to block the HDMI output so as not to clash with my SoundBlaster Audigy RX sound card!

Decide a budget, look at what connections you need, what screen resolution you want and go from there.