Council/Veolia Recycling Centres

Just read once again about the situation at Blackstock tip with the waiting cars blocking the road.  It appears that no matter what they try and do it is not solving the problem and if people can't get their rubbish to the tip some might be inclined to dump it anywhere.  I wondered if they could have lorry/wagon at the top of the ramp with a couple if workers so that cars can just drop off their rubbish and drive straight off.  When the wagon is full it could be driven down the ramp and emptied by another few workers and then back up to repeat the process.  Two wagons would work even better.  I know it would make the workers at the tip a bit more work having to sort through all the rubbish but it would probably ease the queues on the road and make it a but safer for us all.  Does anyone else think a sort of drop off point for rubbish would work?

Not at all. You are just moving the problem 50 yards, but probably increasing the costs massively .

The whole point of a recycling centre like Blackstock Road is that is isn't just a "Tip", but a system for getting local householders and their vehicles to enter in a orderly fashion while making sure no dodgy people dump builder's waste or industrial waste there. It is run by a private company so the staff are adequate for what is required and not just hanging around.

If you don't like it hire a skip.

the only problem I see is the traffic lining up on the corner and having to go past them on a bad bend,its okay for most to do this,but 1 idiot could cause a serious accident,couldn't they make a road from the corner taking in more cars off the road,still be same waiting time,but safer as they are away from the bad bend.

They could solve the problem a little bit by removing the verge and pavement on the downhill side and making it into a queueing section for cars, add a zebra crossing before and after the tip for pedestrians.

It wasn't that I don't like it, it doesn't bother me really.  I was just aware that several people have complained about the amount  of cars there recently.  I was just thinking how the system could be made better.

9 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

They could solve the problem a little bit by removing the verge and pavement on the downhill side and making it into a queueing section for cars, add a zebra crossing before and after the tip for pedestrians.

That sound good  suggest it to the council

yes any idea that impliments a queue for cars off the main road,mainly the bad bend,but unless the private tip pay for it,SCC will just say no cash ,due to government cuts

I went last Thursday mid afternoon as its often a quiet time how wrong I was cars queuing down the road making it impossible for cars to get past safely this is an accident waiting to happen imo.

(I did not que but went to the Herriss road one instead still over an hour wait but more able to cope with the queues.)

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/long-queues-outside-sheffield-tip-branded-extremely-dangerous-2860189

I am not sure if petitions work or not but currently there is a petition that maybe worth people signing to help in getting this resolved.  Will only take 2 moniutes and as discussed many a time this may avoid that accident everyone is talking about. 

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/make-blackstock-road-safe?fbclid=IwAR0rqxF9m-dphWJl6Zsrd197UFXkaJbZE7TQcGxy-2YVH6kMlwgUJO74I-k

4 hours ago, jerseylad said:

I am not sure if petitions work or not but currently there is a petition that maybe worth people signing to help in getting this resolved.  Will only take 2 moniutes and as discussed many a time this may avoid that accident everyone is talking about. 

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/make-blackstock-road-safe?fbclid=IwAR0rqxF9m-dphWJl6Zsrd197UFXkaJbZE7TQcGxy-2YVH6kMlwgUJO74I-k

There have been queues at that tip many times. Can anyone recall an accident?

The money would be better spent on better pedestrian and cycling routes.

Edited by Bargepole23

An appointment system would work much better and enable social distancing. This is what they have done in areas of North Wales.   Long term we need to be looking at why folk are throwing so much stuff away and why they can’t use their bins. Aside from the green waste (now resumed), the collections haven’t stopped during lockdown.  We have become a wasteful, throwaway society.