Grandma's Bread Making

In my recent endeavours at bread baking I was not able to replicate the taste of my grandmother’s brad cakes..I seem to remembered the yeast was called balm and was the texture of firm putty..Am I mistaken, when I google“balm” there is no indication it is yeast

That sounds very like fresh yeast rather than the dried that is more common these days. Balm is the yeasty froth that is found on the top of the brew when making beer. It used to be used to make bread but could be unpredictable in it's results. It is said that it gives a sweet flavour to the bread.

Try looking up Barm instead of Balm

3 hours ago, ken said:

Up North? Hardly ,S W Ontario

Well, that's North from Kent Uk

Sorry to correct a common misconception but SW Ontario is significantly further south than Kent UK. The most southern part of Canada is Point Pelee in SW Ontario and latitude similar to the French Riviera. As an import from Yorkshire living in Canada, I am familiar with Barm Cakes, my gran was a wizard at baking them. Thanks for the memories.

59 minutes ago, HIBBSY said:

Sorry to correct a common misconception but SW Ontario is significantly further south than Kent UK. The most southern part of Canada is Point Pelee in SW Ontario and latitude similar to the French Riviera. As an import from Yorkshire living in Canada, I am familiar with Barm Cakes, my gran was a wizard at baking them. Thanks for the memories.

Yes indeed. There are bits of Canada further south than bits of Portugal.

Edited by Jim Hardie

11 hours ago, HIBBSY said:

Well, that's amazing .

Just had a look on google maps.and if that was the first question  on "who wants to be a millionaire" I'd be on my way home!!!!