Cloning Hd

If I remember right, Acronis has a tick box to auto adjust the partition size. As long as the data on the 1TB isn't above the 250GB of the SSD, it should be OK

I started using Macrium Reflect Free a while ago, never had an issue with that. Same rules apply with regards to the amount of data.

If you read any of this section you will know that I also would go for a clean install after wiping the drive. By far the best option but take care to read the above, if you want to clone...Macrium Reflect Free. It's also worth keeping a good clean image. Again it's only the way I do things but I clean install the OS, Install and configure my main programs then image it. This can save a boat load of time if things go South in the future. Macrium restores my HDD in under 10 minutes and I've never had any issues with the images.

Hope it all goes well, let us know if you have any problems.

Just tried t oupdate to 10.which has taken 2.5 hours, and it failed due to a boot error and went back to 8

ANybody want to do this for me?

13 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

I'd check out the information on this page first:

https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/ht507291

A bit out of date swarf, we are on 1909 now. Not sure if it's changed much, here's a newer list.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht509394

Willman,

How did you update? Via the Microsoft Upgrade program or USB image?

Being as you have a new SSD, you could just go to Microsoft and get the latest Image, then build a USB install drive. From there try a clean install on the SSD. Keep the old drive safe, you may need it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This is more a test of Windows 10 on your PC. It might install and/or authenticate OK, and should be a lot faster than the 2.5 hour previous attempt. I know a few people on here that would come to you but I'll let them make the offer with the lockdown still on.

ON checking it is running windows 10, so downloaded ( i think) the microsoft thing to create boot usb.

Installed the blank ssd in laptop, hit start and the machine decided to load the Lenovo boot disc. So did the old F5 thing and it still wouldnt allow me to boot from the usb.

Obviously for an expert itll be - press this,press that and hey presto. Unfortunately these days my patience wears thin.

So old hd back in.

I'm happy to drop laptop off with sdd anywhere anyone wants it .

Plug in USB, Turn on Laptop, start tapping F12 for the boot menu...

Select your USB from the menu that pops up... start installing Windows 10 :)

What's confusing me though, is If you removed the 1TB HDD, then there should be no way that the lenovo recovery can load, as that's generally stored in a partition on the primary drive... Unless you have a recovery DVD, and have left it in the drive...

If you do get stuck though, i'd be happy to take a look - contactless drop off and collection etc if needed!

I removed the hd on the laptop just now, turned the machine back on and it booted and ran and accessed internet. Screen was same as before and everything. When i checked "storage" it said win8os - 52gb.

Go figure.

Luckily i'm having it looked at next week so a resolution could be in sight.

1 hour ago, willman said:

I removed the hd on the laptop just now, turned the machine back on and it booted and ran and accessed internet. Screen was same as before and everything. When i checked "storage" it said win8os - 52gb.

Go figure.

Luckily i'm having it looked at next week so a resolution could be in sight.

You look like you're sorted now but if not give me a shout. We've probably done about 300-400 of these in the past year!