Ebay Hell

Bought some vitamin B12 supplements on eBay recently; when they arrive I notice the use before date is May 2020. Contact seller; they're fine with a return and they'll even pay postage. Start return; eBay is asking me to pay postage; so I cancel the return hoping to start another return process but for a different reason (though, none of the reasons in the options they give, accurately describe the actual situation). It won't let me open a return for this item, now, or ever.

Anyhow, 20 mins of chat (or waiting to chat) with eBay customer service; *groan*. Nothing can be done; other than claim via PayPal.

Isn't this in violation of distance selling regulations?

eBay is a joke at times I sold a new keypad for a alarm system ....it was fully tested before dispatch , full model details where on the listing ....some muppet purchased it , then claimed it was faulty , so I asked for a picture of the alarm they where fitting it on ....it was the the wrong one for the keypad ! and was told that why it won’t work ....so now I have to accept the return , pay postage to and from the seller ....

13 minutes ago, alarmingmark said:

eBay is a joke at times I sold a new keypad for a alarm system ....it was fully tested before dispatch , full model details where on the listing ....some muppet purchased it , then claimed it was faulty , so I asked for a picture of the alarm they where fitting it on ....it was the the wrong one for the keypad ! and was told that why it won’t work ....so now I have to accept the return , pay postage to and from the seller ....

You mean to and from the buyer? Presuming you're the seller in this instance?

Yeah, been doing a bit of eBay selling too, which is why I have sympathy the seller in my case (sympathy for eBay, not so much). They normally side with the buyer apparently.

I was told by an ebay customer service rep to always return it as a faulty item. That way the seller pays the postage. It’s not right bit that’s what they advised.

10 minutes ago, Happ said:

I was told by an ebay customer service rep to always return it as a faulty item. That way the seller pays the postage. It’s not right bit that’s what they advised.

I was just talking with them; and apparently, of the options you can select (for return), buyer pays return postage on the following:

Doesn't fit.

Changed mind.

Found better price.

Just didn't like it.

Ordered by mistake.

I think that's right, as though they sent me an email purporting to be a chat transcript; they sent in plain text to my email address, and also to my ebay messages; with the title chat transcript for #<id> ... only, neither actually contained any transcript of any description. Doesn't seem to be any way to access it (because I have plain text preference set for emails received from eBay).

eBay definitely not a bag full of frustration...

Click on "Item not as described" in the return item menu, you get a link to print a postage label, print it, stick it, post it, jobs a good un. Done it loads of times with scally sellers trying to have my pants down.

One other tip which is essential, same said scally sellers will tell you they can't issue a refund until you close the case. Don't do this under any circumstances until you have been refunded, if you do, eBay will wash their hands of it after that, and you can't open a new one.

Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Click on "Item not as described" in the return item menu, you get a link to print a postage label, print it, stick it, post it, jobs a good un. Done it loads of times with scally sellers trying to have my pants down.

Yep, me too. Its been nothing but straightforward and easy.

Amazon Marketplace sellers can be just as bad, especially when they don't understand the UK rules with regards to returning and cancelling orders. Returning a defective item and the seller tried to charge a restocking fee as well as taking the postage it cost to send me out of the refund as well. As soon as you start mentioning legal action they magically change their mind and agree with you that they'd misunderstood.

As you are only left with the Paypal route now, go with not as described/reasonably expected. Any reasonable person would understand that you cannot be expected to consume a full container of vitamins in less that a month.

Edited by Janus

On 19/05/2020 at 16:44, Waldo said:

Bought some vitamin B12 supplements on eBay recently; when they arrive I notice the use before date is May 2020. Contact seller; they're fine with a return and they'll even pay postage. Start return; eBay is asking me to pay postage; so I cancel the return hoping to start another return process but for a different reason (though, none of the reasons in the options they give, accurately describe the actual situation). It won't let me open a return for this item, now, or ever.

Anyhow, 20 mins of chat (or waiting to chat) with eBay customer service; *groan*. Nothing can be done; other than claim via PayPal.

Isn't this in violation of distance selling regulations?

Not sure I would trust tablets from eBay you have more faith than I do.. 

But arn't there some very reputable sellers on there too, who are selling branded products? 

Fair point... I use to use eBay a lot but the last few times despite searching for uk only sellers my items have been shipped in from Hong Kong.