Derelict Garages

Hi all, I am hoping for a little advice or if anybody has had some experience dealing with Sheffield Council and the demolition of derelict garages.  We have a row of garages that are all vacant and disused, they are in such poor condition. Some with doors hanging off, some with smashed up boards on the front and some full of rubbish from that people who cannot be bothered to use the tip and have utilised to get rid of their rubbish.   These garages also bring with them anti social behaviour.  I have reported to Sheffield Council a number of times about how unsafe these garages are and how much of an eye sore it is to look out of your window and see this. It seems they simply do not care and tell me they are marked to be demolished and likely be 12 -18 months time.  Living around this has become miserable, has anybody had any success or advice on how we can get Sheffield Council to act appropriately  and get these demolished any quicker.  🥺

Try speaking to your councillors ( you have three ward councillors) their contact details are on the council website.

Thank you Planner1 I will give this a go...  *fingers crossed*

Be careful with the state of the garages, especially if they date from the 60's or 70's as many used asbestos in their construction, especially in the roofs & especially those built by local authorities.

Hi, just yesterday I reported some garages that sound exactly the same, waiting to hear back from the council.  What area do you live in? Just wondered if by chance they might be the same garages.  

Edited by katekate

12 hours ago, katekate said:

Hi, just yesterday I reported some garages that sound exactly the same, waiting to hear back from the council.  What area do you live in? Just wondered if by chance they might be the same garages.  

Morning Kate,

These are on  Overend... I have yesterday taken Planner1  advise and emailed all three Councillors in the hope of some action, my neighbour is doing the very same. 

Hi, that's a coincidence as they are the ones I reported as well.  I don't live round there but my daughter does and the garages are an absolute disgrace.  I will certainly keep on at the council to do something about them.  My daughter only moved onto the Close a couple of months ago and we've seen people dumping rubbish and there's always lads hanging around in the empty garages.  There's also loads of litter along the walkways to the houses and we've picked loads of it up.  It would look much nicer without the garages and the rubbish all cleared.  It's unbelievable when there's a tip around the corner.  It's good to hear from people that still have some respect for the area they live in.

Edited by katekate

38 minutes ago, katekate said:

Hi, that's a coincidence as they are the ones I reported as well.  I don't live round there but my daughter does and the garages are an absolute disgrace.  I will certainly keep on at the council to do something about them.  My daughter only moved onto the Close a couple of months ago and we've seen people dumping rubbish and there's always lads hanging around in the empty garages.  There's also loads of litter along the walkways to the houses and we've picked loads of it up.  It would look much nicer without the garages and the rubbish all cleared.  It's unbelievable when there's a tip around the corner.  It's good to hear from people that still have some respect for the area they live in.

Indeed they are an eyesore, I have had an email back from Paul Turpin (Councillor) and he has chased up housing officers to help try and get this resolved but it is looking like it is going to be a long road at this rate, both myself and next door are onto Sheffield Council to get this resolved.  I am hoping there is force in numbers with this situation.  I shall keep up the fight 😃

53 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Are they on land owned by SCC?

Yes.. Council garages on Council land.

Hi, I'll see if they reply to me and I shall also keep on at them.  We always see the police looking around the garages as well and suspicious cars coming and going, I wondered if there may be something drug related going on. Either way it needs dealing with.

This message is not related directly to the garages but last year I kept reporting anti social behaviour which was taking place at a derelict council building near my house on the 101 system. I also emailed my local councillor. Eventually the building was demolished. It did take a while but it did happen.

I must say that the councillor was excellent and worked hard for this to happen.