Are Google Using New Sneaky Advert Pop-Ups?

I open Google for a search as usual and, once the results are loaded, I try to click on one I want. Except that the  cursor doesn't click on the link despite hovering over it.

So I click in an empty space to the side and a new advert tab opens (??)- relating to my topic, yes, but NOT what I searched for exactly. This can happen several times during one search/read session. This has been happening for about 2/3wks now.

Surely the page should load search results (as before) and the cursor click immediately upon your desired link/s when YOU want?

Are Google being sneaky and installing creepy topic-related pop-ups?

No, this isn't normal behaviour. Sounds like you've some sort of malware on your system or you are going to a site that seems like Google but isn't. What's the URL? Plain old www.google.com?

Hi

I'm using Chrome and click to open a new tab, then use the URL bar to search?

Plus I regularly run Malwarebytes (updated)

Sound like malware or something to me.... try in private or "incognito" mode, see if it still does the same...

(CTRL+Shift+N for incognito)

it could also be your computer / internet being sluggish so it seems like its not working. when you click on a white patch it may actually be clicking on something else thats overlapping some other white space?

Posted (edited)

It's not a white space being clicked on, nor malware that can be found by updated Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, etc. I have run those many times.

I can search as usual (Google.com with secure padlock) several times on one page at once, but then the odd click (trying to right-click a new tab open) does this??? A new tab with a search-related ad in the new tab?

Edited by Electerrific

Posted (edited)

That doesn't sound normal. As an added filter to adverts such as the likes of an ad blocker in my Chrome extension. I use Pi-Hole on my raspberry pi. 

Edited by Albert the Cat