Up And Coming Areas For 1st Time Buyer?

Hello!

I'm moving over to Sheffield in the summer and I am looking to buy my first house.  Ideally I want a small 2 bed house and I have a max. budget of £130,000.  Can anyone suggest any areas?  Mainly looking for somewhere relatively safe with a park nearby.   My new job is in the south too so places like Hillsborough might be too far.

Thanks for your help!

J

Areas such as Meersbrook and Woodseats would suit you, both will offer 2 bed properties and access to parks, etc.  However, £130,000 is being optimistic, but drive round the districts and look for sale boards.  You might have to make a cheeky offer.

it may seem unusual,but theres some nice ex council houses,well worth a look at,with big gardens,many are semis,with both private,theres some for sale in Frasier,lowedges,chancetwood,jordanthorpe and batemoor,well worth a look,some may scoff at the idea,but take reney ave in greenhill or ex council houses in greenhill village ,some fantastic houses opp bradway golf course and greenhill park,so I would rent for a small while and look at these areas as well as others.

Great, thanks for your advice!  Any thoughts on Gleadless Townend?

theres some nice houses and ex council,seems a decent area,top of gleadless is okay,there may be great bargains around,often with ex council homes they come on the market at a low price as the offspring are eager to sell to share the money and I say this in a nice way old mum dies ,the siblings need to sell,you get a good price,but may have to borrow extra to update the home,but total still a good deal.

Wait!

Follow basset ones advice.

And

Don't ask Estate Agents or anyone else  involved in selling except to read up on local amenities. 

There has already been a gradual downturn in the buy-to-let and student terrace type housing in general this is accelerating due to current events and the likely reduction in student population.   

There may be a reduction in costs of converting these houses back.

Be aware, no one knows what the cost of borrowing  will be or the level of deposit required.

There will be bargains so arrange with a lender a quick way of getting funds.

In times of uncertainty buy an ordinary house in an ordinary street in an ordinary area with no complications.

3 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Great, thanks for your advice!  Any thoughts on Gleadless Townend?

Dull as ditchwater.

S12 Frecheville or Hackenthorpe have good public transport links and there are some nice properties available for about 130k. It's not far from Crystal Peaks. 

If I were you I'd rent somewhere around Sharrow Vale or Meersbrook for at least a year.  Then, with your budget, you'll be in a good position to pick up one of the many bargains that will soon be appearing in these big buy to let, student rental areas. The impact on this market will be seismic but it's not going to change overnight. So if you can be patient and sit things out on the sidelines you'll be able to take your pick from a host of decent properties that would previously be out of your budget. Good luck

10 minutes ago, arthurseaton said:

If I were you I'd rent somewhere around Sharrow Vale or Meersbrook for at least a year.  Then, with your budget, you'll be in a good position to pick up one of the many bargains that will soon be appearing in these big buy to let, student rental areas. The impact on this market will be seismic but it's not going to change overnight. So if you can be patient and sit things out on the sidelines you'll be able to take your pick from a host of decent properties that would previously be out of your budget. Good luck

The impact on prices in buy-to-let student areas will be very big, which is why prices in Crookes/Walkley etc. are stagnating or dropping. That isn't the case in Meersbrook though, which isn't a student area.

I'd imagine there'll be a knock on effect though surely? Crookes,Walkley don't exist in a bubble and they are similar areas to Meersbrook in many ways. Also, I mention Meersbrook as the OP is looking to buy in the south of the city and I think in a year or two their money will go much further there as it will undoubtedly in the really high density student suburbs

Thanks everyone.  I've been think about how the market might change so might sit it out for as long as possible.  Difficult though as renting with a dog can be tricky!