Building / House By Stanage Pole

Guest makapaka

Does anyone know what the large building is on the right hand side walking towards Stanage pole away from Sheffield.

is it a house or something else?

thanks 

It's Stanedge Lodge. Originally built as a shooting lodge, it's current use is unknown but the building is being maintained. You can find some pictures of it on Geograph.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, altus said:

It's Stanedge Lodge. Originally built as a shooting lodge, it's current use is unknown but the building is being maintained. You can find some pictures of it on Geograph.

Thanks Altus.

They used to use it as a clay shooting club house but it closed down years ago. 

I'm fairly sure it is being lived in now, been up to Stanage on the bike a few times in recent weeks and certainly seems occupied, lights on etc. Looks an amazing place

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

I'm fairly sure it is being lived in now, been up to Stanage on the bike a few times in recent weeks and certainly seems occupied, lights on etc. Looks an amazing place

I thought same - looks a fantastic house.

When I was in my early teens I knocked about with a little gang that went what we called exploring. The Lodge Moor area was special due to its WW2 pow camp and stories of ghosts so we’d often get the bus up there from Glossop Road. Anyway, to cut a long story short, one of the older lads convinced us young uns that Stanedge Lodge was a MI5 safe house for Russian double agents. I always have a smile when I go for a walk up to Stanedge and see the Lodge.

I always  imagine what it would be like living in a place as isolated as that,being snuggled up fast asleep in bed ,2-00am in the morning suddenly waking to tap tap tap on the door !.What would my reaction be,I think the visitor would be greeted with my half dozen guard dogs and a twelve bore shotgun just to be on the safe side,or would that be an overreaction !.What would it be like being so isolated would it be a target for the many scallys we have in our society nowadays,no matter how rich I might be it wouldn,t be my cup of tea!Saying all that for my first 20 years our nearest neighbor was a mile away,the difference being as part of a family of six,safety in numbers!.

Edited by nikki-red

On 16/05/2020 at 16:57, Chrissoftley said:

They used to use it as a clay shooting club house but it closed down years ago. 

30 odd years ago, I worked the traps firing the clay pigeons. I was 14 year old and worked alongside a few more lads off the Shirecliffe Estate.  Got picked up at 8am and dropped off at 4pm. Got paid £6 for the day... A chap called Brian Hardy ran it with his wife, I think she was called Linda. I seem to remember he had a collection of cars in the garages at the rear of the property.  It was a tremendous house with a huge roaring fire in the main reception area, fantastic when you'd been sat up on the tower for an hour freezing to death.  

I think the house belongs to one of the Water Boards

I know our language is all over the place but why the difference in spelling? 

A - Z of South Yorkshire.

Stanage Edge & the different spelling for Stannedge Lodge. 

I know this is an old thread, but I've been looking at this house as it's for sale now. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108302459

Seems like it's called Stanedge Lodge, not Stannedge Lodge. I think the pole is Stanage Pole, and the edge is Stanage Edge, so why the difference in spelling? I don't know. But it looks like an amazing place. Wish I could afford it!