Falconer lane Fence

melt the ball , hi in answer to your query i remember  the lane i was born at fence cottages in1936 and i remember when it was a great place to live, spent hours playing on railway sidings across from dyke. of coarse it was a lot wider then and the wild fowl was in abundance so were the eggs. yes the farm was thriving then  but the farmers alf and fred richmond were very scary you didnt mess with them two. used to sledge on smallage lane in winter them were the days we used to have snow then. happy days

23 hours ago, Lenlunn said:

melt the ball , hi in answer to your query i remember  the lane i was born at fence cottages in1936 and i remember when it was a great place to live, spent hours playing on railway sidings across from dyke. of coarse it was a lot wider then and the wild fowl was in abundance so were the eggs. yes the farm was thriving then  but the farmers alf and fred richmond were very scary you didnt mess with them two. used to sledge on smallage lane in winter them were the days we used to have snow then. happy days

hi len lunn

do you  remember  the claytons on falconer lane . also do you remember  Bob Haywoods  chip shop furnace Lane woodhouse mill he was my great  grandfather just another  point  where were fence cottages

cheers 

hi lyndon haywood, what were your parents name. may remember them i was only a kid then. regards

On 18/05/2020 at 17:57, HIBBSY said:

My dad worked at NCB Fence workshop from late 60's to big strike. Some of his workmates lived on Falconer Lane.

Now gone replaced I think by a big diy Warehouse

Edited by desy

10 hours ago, Lenlunn said:

hi lyndon haywood, what were your parents name. may remember them i was only a kid then. regards

my  mum  was mary clayton she had three brothers Dennis  Ken  and Ronnie 

hi lyndon,brings back memories, clayton family i remember very well think dennis (aka) birdie for some reason is no longer with us nice family but on lane there were no bad families and everybody pulled together  we had nowt but happy days. the chippie you refer to at bottom of furnace lane on right was then called dobbs and it was always full between 7 and 9.30. regarding fence cottages if you stand on fence roundabout you would be there, i know that because the fields layout at fence have never changed, even the original path to smallage lane over the fields is still in the same place. regards.

17 hours ago, Lenlunn said:

hi Len

many thanks for your reply my mum never had a bad word for any body off the lane or canary island

cheers  Lyndon 

17 hours ago, Lenlunn said:

my  mum  was mary clayton she had three brothers Dennis  Ken  and Ronnie 

Before the NCB Fence workshops were built across from Falconer Lane were there houses there?

hi hibbsy the workshops were built on what was the site of the old fence pit, pit buildings started across from falconer lane up to aprox where the roundabout is at fence. of course the roundabout wasent there in those days just a single road, not much traffic about. there were 5 cottages built in the pit yard ( i think for the deputies) and they were only a matter of yards from the shaft,the pit was of course closed many years before i was born but i lived there until demolition in late fiftys to build the workshops. hope this helps. regards

I started work at Fence Workshops 22nd August 1966 as an apprentice electrician. I finished 31st March 1995 when the site closed. I remember Ann Haynes from 1 Falconer worked in the canteen. Her husband Gordon was an old Treeton lad. Both are no longer with us. One of my colleagues, Steve Linley also lived on Falconer, not sure of number.

when were the cottages demolished I was born 1961 cant remember  them. I remember. the derelict house behind the bus shelter opposite  fence workshop

Hi classicfan will try to send you a PM.