Stocksbridge Woods

I don't know if I am dreaming but perhaps someone out there will confirm - when I was little say 1960's my family used to go for a picnic in Stocksbridge.  There was a rill running through the woods, it was man made I think.  Can anyone confirm this or was it just a dream!!!!

I grew up in Stocksbridge about the same time. We were at the top on Stone Moor Rd. I remember a lot of woods on the back road from Bolsterstone down to the main road. Over the road and to the right from us was moorland (great for berry picking) It was a brand new house and I may be a tad off with the dates but 90% sure it was late 60s to early 70s. Could the woods be the ones I mention?

I wonder if the rill was part of the water system for the steel works!

Sounds a bit like the Glen in Deepcar between Carr Road and the Stubbin Estate.

If it was the one at Deepcar, it could have indeed been Glen Howe park. I think that some of the Sheffield scout troops used to go there.

21 hours ago, dp59 said:

If it was the one at Deepcar, it could have indeed been Glen Howe park. I think that some of the Sheffield scout troops used to go there.

Always thought Glen Howe was at the back of Wharncliffe Side. When I lived in Deepcar - albeit over 40 years ago - pretty sure the little valley off Carr Roadit was just known as the Glen - although the nearest road on the Stubbin was Fox Glen Road.