Joe Nicholson 12-14 Park View Road-Bakers Shop

I had an enquiry recently about a bakers shop situated on Park View Road Owlerton,numbers 12-14,the owner named Joe Nicholson,he had two spinster daughters named Mary and Jayne[Jenny]!.I was asked because I originate from the area and my enormous age,I have no recollection of it whatsoever !.So I was wondering if anybody had any information about it,the chap enquiring is called Steve Bell,he is trying to make his family tree and has hit a brick wall!.According to him the road no longer exists but there is a road  by that name in Owlerton,so can anyone help ,Hillsbro maybe,Steve posted on Sheffield History!.

Edited by nikki-red
Removed unnecessary bold

There used to be a bake shop on Parkside Rd.When I was going to Hillsborough infants school, must have been  around  1945 I was given milk money,I think it was a penny.

I used to walk up Parkside Rd to school.We would sometimes buy  a tea cake with the milk money At the bake shop
By the way there was a photo on the BBC Sheffield website showing 75 anniversary by some residents of Parkside Rd

11 hours ago, old tup said:

I had an enquiry recently about a bakers shop situated on Park View Road Owlerton,numbers 12-14,the owner named Joe Nicholson,he had two spinster daughters named Mary and Jayne[Jenny]!.I was asked because I originate from the area and my enormous age,I have no recollection of it whatsoever !.So I was wondering if anybody had any information about it,the chap enquiring is called Steve Bell,he is trying to make his family tree and has hit a brick wall!.According to him the road no longer exists but there is a road  by that name in Owlerton,so can anyone help ,Hillsbro maybe,Steve posted on Sheffield History!.

I remember this shop, Only remember the daughters who seemed middle aged when I was a child. Old Tup if you remember the entrance to Swann Morton’s opposite the old church on Borough road, Park View road is opposite. Warringtons transport had a yard opposite the  shop at the time. Think it was demolished in the early 60s.

Hello hillgirl I know where you mean,I myself worked nearby in the sixties for Express Dairies,who then moved to new premises at Leppings Lane!.I never knew the bakery so it must have gone before my time there!.

3 hours ago, old tup said:

Hello hillgirl I know where you mean,I myself worked nearby in the sixties for Express Dairies,who then moved to new premises at Leppings Lane!.I never knew the bakery so it must have gone before my time there!.

It didn’t look like a bakery at all. It was a terraced  house, it had a loud bell under a rubber mat just inside the door, all the kids going past would jump on the mat and then leg it.I think the bakery was at the back of the house. You are right Express Dairies and then Warringtons had the yard.

On 10/05/2020 at 09:56, old tup said:

14 ParkView Road --Joseph grocer in 1925

1939--1948

Jane  -1894

Mary Eliz -1890

Edited by retep

The house belonged to Warringtons one of their mechanics lived in it  but i dont recall a bakery so it must be long gone

The stone detached house in Warringtons yard and Nicholsons shop opposite were knocked down at the same time. Maisonettes were built on the land both sides of the road in the early 60s. It didn’t look like a bakery at all, it was just a terraced house and in the window was advertisements.  Quite dark inside too.

The house in Warringtons yard was pulled down in the late 80s after Warringtons went bust Ray and Christine lived there,i used to back trailers into that yard

I can just give a little information as to how long the shop was there. As retep indicated, in the 1925 directory the occupant of 12-14 Park View Road is shown as "Joseph Nicholson, grocer" (also in the 1922 directory).  The 1931 directory has "Misses Mary Elizabeth and Jane Nicholson, grocers" at that address. This listing is essentially unchanged in later directories up to 1957.  The next one I have is for 1963, in which 12-14 Park View Road is no longer listed and so had evidently been demolished.  Here is a link to the relevant data in the 1939 Register: https://i.postimg.cc/2SFPt6hW/Park-View-Road.jpg   By this time Mary and Jane's parents had retired and moved to Wood Lane.

Edited by hillsbro

On 12/05/2020 at 13:50, hillgirl said:

The stone detached house in Warringtons yard and Nicholsons shop opposite were knocked down at the same time. Maisonettes were built on the land both sides of the road in the early 60s. It didn’t look like a bakery at all, it was just a terraced house and in the window was advertisements.  Quite dark inside too.

Hi hillgirl.  I lived with my parents until 1969  in one of those maisonettes which looked onto the running track in hillsborough park.  There was a shop on the corner opposite our houses.  Further along the road there was a back entrance to the park.  I don't  remember any more shops on that road but there was a dilapidated house which was under probate i believe in the late 60s/early 70s located close to the shop.  Hope that's  helpful.