Cycle Lane From Stocksbridge/Deepcar To Hillsborough

33 minutes ago, Janus said:

Thanks for providing that Altus. I've just had a look at it. I can see the dotted lines-for example along Penistone road. I believe that is the cycle path on the pavement, which I've used quite a few times. 

I'm interested in off-road  cycle paths. Do you know how to bring these up on your map?

It just shows the cycle routes - you can zoom in to get a more detailed view. It certainly shows off-road cycle paths but, as I very rarely go to that part of town, I'm not familiar with those in that area.

On 18/05/2020 at 10:25, Planner1 said:

The trans-pennine trail. You go up jawbone hill, and turn left on Platts lane to access it. There are blue signs to direct you. You can go all the way to Penistone and Dunford Bridge off road.

Its a very long  time Since I rode around here but I used to enter Beeley woods on Claywheels lane (where Abbey forged products is now) and not take the obvious path along  the riverside but head off up another path at an angle to what we called the middle path, then take another path uphill to the top path which came out on Jawbone just above the entrance to Wharncliffe  woods. You would have to have an off road bike to do this though, its way too bumpy for a road bike. 

Edited by Chrissoftley

On 17/05/2020 at 20:31, Becky B said:

You turn left at Sainsbury's and go along Claywheels Lane then into Beeley Woods to Oughtibridge.  There are some blue signs around the junction of Penistone/Halifax Road and Leppings Lane/Herries Road.

Yes Chris, I think what you mention is the same as Becky B advised. 

I`ve sort of got an alternative to my road bikes. It is not as robust as a MTB. It is an aluminium Boardman hybrid. I think I have only been out on it about 3 times. I thought it might come in handy for half decent paths in some woods. It has gears, and I`m used to cycling but it is not as easy as the roadies, particularly on hills.

It will fit in the estate car , so maybe I could drive the 10 mile or so to Wadsley bridge, and park in Sainsbury`s car park, then cycle from there. Does that sound like a reasonable way to do things? Anyone know how far it is from Sainsburys to where the wood starts?

Edited by Janus

Are there any apps that show these tracks? I recently started cycling in Sheffield, and I've spent a lot of time on trails in Parkwood Springs, but not ventured much further 

4 hours ago, HappyZappy said:

Are there any apps that show these tracks? I recently started cycling in Sheffield, and I've spent a lot of time on trails in Parkwood Springs, but not ventured much further 

I like the Komoot route planning app, you can select your type of ride or walk and plot a route. Pretty much every trail and footpath is on Komoot.