Cycle Lane From Stocksbridge/Deepcar To Hillsborough

@Operakid94

I'm pleased you have created  this thread, because it has encouraged further conversation on the subject  of cycle trails/ routes. 

For example, I knew nothing about the upper don cycle trail until Becky B  posted the link.

I found the video to be of interest (thank you), while also being informative. 

I am unsure which parts of the route are complete and 'usable', and which are still being developed. 

I very much like the idea of a nice smooth path as seen in parts of the clip. Ideal for a road bike. However, I am guessing that the previously established parts of the route such a woods may be unsuitable for a road bike? Anyone know?

Also, has a completion date for the project been announced yet?

The TPT through Wharncliffe Woods from Oughtibridge to Deepcar definitely isn't suitable for a road bike, you can probably manage on a hybrid but  a gravel or mountain bike would be best.

Plus you have to go halfway up Jawbone to get to it 😀

I don't know how far the development has gone - I think the housing developers may have reneged on their agreements to provide walking/cycling routes through the developments, and links between them are difficult due to multiple different landowners.  I haven't looked at any updates recently though.

3 hours ago, Becky B said:

The TPT through Wharncliffe Woods from Oughtibridge to Deepcar definitely isn't suitable for a road bike, you can probably manage on a hybrid but  a gravel or mountain bike would be best.

Plus you have to go halfway up Jawbone to get to it 😀

Think I'd disagree with you on that one. I've ridden it on a road bike, it's  smooth enough. Anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness will ride up jawbone ok and its no shame to push if you can't. Worth the effort for a nice off road ride as far as Penistone and Dunford Bridge

The Penistone to Dunford Bridge TPT is now a hard flat surface and is suitable for road bikes.

5 hours ago, Janus said:

@Operakid94

I'm pleased you have created  this thread, because it has encouraged further conversation on the subject  of cycle trails/ routes. 

For example, I knew nothing about the upper don cycle trail until Becky B  posted the link.

I found the video to be of interest (thank you), while also being informative. 

I am unsure which parts of the route are complete and 'usable', and which are still being developed. 

I very much like the idea of a nice smooth path as seen in parts of the clip. Ideal for a road bike. However, I am guessing that the previously established parts of the route such a woods may be unsuitable for a road bike? Anyone know?

Also, has a completion date for the project been announced yet?

None of north of Oughtibridge sections is an A-B route suitable for commuting. Much of it at the conceptual stage-as is The Kelham Island .

South of Oughtibridge the route along the  river is more suitable apart from the darkest months, down to Sainsbury's and on to the dog track.

From the Dog  track to just before Neepsend there is a very section- and totally unsuitable .

@Annie Bynnol

I don't know where the access points to the off road paths are.

I have cycled the paths from the canal in Rotherham,  crossing Weedon St and on to the section of the TP Trail. It goes past the back of Gripple etc.

Eventally coming out very near to the Wicker. Then on the road and footpaths.

I've continued past Sainsbury,  and up the big hill-Halifax Rd, and eventually  going near the roundabout of junction 35a of the M1.

I've never identified the off road route. Only cycled  on the road & footpaths.

Maybe there is map with easily identified cycle paths for the route I decribed. It would surely be more relaxing and interesting than being among traffic I think.

Edited by Janus

2 hours ago, Janus said:

@Annie Bynnol

I have cycled the paths from the canal in Rotherham,  crossing Weedon St and on to the section of the TP Trail. It goes past the back of Gripple etc.

I've continued past Sainsbury,  and up the big hill-Halifax Rd, and eventually  going near the roundabout of junction 35a of the M1.

Maybe there is map with easily identified cycle paths for the route I decribed. It would surely be more relaxing and interesting than being among traffic I think.

You turn left at Sainsbury's and go along Claywheels Lane then into Beeley Woods to Oughtibridge.  There are some blue signs around the junction of Penistone/Halifax Road and Leppings Lane/Herries Road.

On 16/05/2020 at 17:18, Planner1 said:

Think I'd disagree with you on that one. I've ridden it on a road bike, it's  smooth enough. Anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness will ride up jawbone ok and its no shame to push if you can't. Worth the effort for a nice off road ride as far as Penistone and Dunford Bridge

Are we talking about the same section?  The rough gravel/dirt forestry track through Wharncliffe Woods?  I've got 23mm, fairly slick tyres on my road bike (and they are quite substantial compared to some)...

Unless it's been resurfaced since I last rode on it.

4 hours ago, Janus said:

@Annie Bynnol

At Oughtibridge a very good road bike route south starts opposite the entrance to Coronation Park next to the Band Hut. Follow the road and then the riverside path towards the and pass the fence on the river side. Map.

Follow the route until you get to Sainsbury's on Halifax Road.

This same Map show all the  national cycle route as you zoom out.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

13 hours ago, Becky B said:

Are we talking about the same section?  The rough gravel/dirt forestry track through Wharncliffe Woods?  I've got 23mm, fairly slick tyres on my road bike (and they are quite substantial compared to some)...

Unless it's been resurfaced since I last rode on it.

The trans-pennine trail. You go up jawbone hill, and turn left on Platts lane to access it. There are blue signs to direct you. You can go all the way to Penistone and Dunford Bridge off road.

Yes its a forestry track / off road trail, but its quite wide and fairly smooth. My road bike has 28mm slick tyres, but I've ridden that route on skinnier ones. It's fine on a road bike, you just have to be a bit more careful than on your mountain bike.  I'd have no hesitation riding it on my road bike.

23mm tyres on road bikes are a bit old skool now. You might find wider ones at lower pressures are more comfortable. I certainly do. Even the pro riders on the tour ride 25mm or wider and the research says they are faster than narrow / high pressure, see this

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The trans-pennine trail. You go up jawbone hill, and turn left on Platts lane to access 

This is the sort of instuction that I find the easiest to understand. 

When I have street names, I can enter them in to google maps and see where the streets are in relation to off road cycle paths.

What I would certainly benefit from, is knowing which specific street leads to the access on to xyz off road cycle path. 

I'd like to be able to find the  access  points for some specific off road cycle paths. The only one beyond the Wicker that I know of, is accessed just on the bend before Neepsend Lane ends prior to the traffic light controlled junction. This  is just an example. I don't know if there is an access point before here-such as Kelham Island area?

Any details of street names leading to access points for road paths further up on the right  side of  Penistone road would be good. 

39 minutes ago, Janus said:

This is the sort of instuction that I find the easiest to understand. 

When I have street names, I can enter them in to google maps and see where the streets are in relation to off road cycle paths.

What I would certainly benefit from, is knowing which specific street leads to the access on to xyz off road cycle path. 

I'd like to be able to find the  access  points for some specific off road cycle paths. The only one beyond the Wicker that I know of, is accessed just on the bend before Neepsend Lane ends prior to the traffic light controlled junction. This  is just an example. I don't know if there is an access point before here-such as Kelham Island area?

Any details of street names leading to access points for road paths further up on the right  side of  Penistone road would be good.

OpenStreetMap have a cycle map layer showing all the cycle routes overlayed on a street map. You can use that to figure out where the access points are.

Thanks for providing that Altus. I've just had a look at it. I can see the dotted lines-for example along Penistone road. I believe that is the cycle path on the pavement, which I've used quite a few times. 

I'm interested in off-road  cycle paths. Do you know how to bring these up on your map?

Edited by Janus