Cycle Lane From Stocksbridge/Deepcar To Hillsborough

The pigs ear Sheffield City Council (Amey & Streets Ahead) have made of the Manchester Road notwithstanding, does anyone believe that any of the £250 million ear-marked for cycle lanes throughout the UK will find its way to creating one from Stocksbridge/Deepcar to Hillsborough?

I found a thread on here where people were asking for this in 2009 - to no avail obviously.

Has the specific route you mention-Stocksbridge/Deepcar/Hillsborough  been proposed by some authority? Or did you mean it would be a good idea?

I'm in favour of ideas to get us out of our cars and on to cycles. Often the cycles lanes I see, unfortunately have big gaps between where they 'end' and restart. I use some stretches of the road where the cycle lanes are not there, but I can understand that some may not feel safe doing that. I don't feel totally safe myself on the narrower strenches. 

theres already a very good cycle route from Stocksbridge to Hillsborough, through Wharncliffe woods and Beeley woods absolutely no traffic to contend with either.

5 hours ago, Operakid94 said:

does anyone believe that any of the £250 million ear-marked for cycle lanes throughout the UK will find its way to creating one from Stocksbridge/Deepcar to Hillsborough?

The £250m is described by the government as an “emergency” fund. It is therefore much more likely it will be used for measures needed to keep people walking and cycling to work, like widening pavements or cycle lanes where people will be too crowded, closing streets to traffic etc

£250m doesn’t buy you much when it covers the whole of the country (England) Sheffield’s per capita share of it might be circa £2m if that’s how it is allocated. That amount would certainly not be anything like enough to do a proper segregated cycle super highway type facility from Hillsborough to Stocksbridge. Also, as someone has already pointed out, there is already an off road cycle route which links all those locations to Hillsborough, so would it merit that kind of investment over other areas which don’t already have an off road route?

Edited by Planner1

29 minutes ago, Chrissoftley said:

theres already a very good cycle route from Stocksbridge to Hillsborough, through Wharncliffe woods and Beeley woods absolutely no traffic to contend with either.

Makes far more sense to use that than trying to put in a cycle lane along the Bitholmes.

23 hours ago, Chrissoftley said:

That's fine when the weather is good, but wouldn't fancy using it in the winter when its dark / frozen etc.

3 hours ago, Tobyjug said:

That's fine when the weather is good, but wouldn't fancy using it in the winter when its dark / frozen etc.

Decent set of lights and off road tyres will sort all but the very worst of conditions. If it’s frozen you can use the main roads which are gritted. One of my ex colleagues cycled into Sheffield daily from Oughtibridge on that route whatever the weather

I would have thought the winter conditions in the woods in winter would be a bit more protected from the elements  than the open road. 

Heavy rainfall could possibly  create a mud issue in winter as it would take longer to dry up in the woods.

£40 spent on a decent Lezyne front light would take care of the dark nights under the trees-efficiently, speaking from experience.

As long as the paths are not over-grown with brambles etc.

Operakid94 i would be very interested to know where you think they could put a new cycle path - sure they could convert the railway line and kill any plans for a passenger service or cordon off a lane on the M1

On 12/05/2020 at 21:30, Becky B said:

Is this what you mean?

https://upperdontrail.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1XY1595R8n_lj5lxaO-zKCNf3oLGV6sIxzegfjCMGdu3zswbbYVJ4PYfM

I think the new housing developments at Deepcar and the Paper Mill were supposed to include a cycle route through them, as part of the planning permission.

The Upper Don Trail is not associated with the railway route.

Penistone is the eastern hub of the Transpennine cycling/bridleway routes.

Penistone to Deepcar railway is now a cycle route.

Deepcar to Nunnery Square is an active railway single track siding that was formerly a double track major route.

The cost of a parallel cycle/bridleway would be too much for councils but not for government.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The Upper Don Trail is not associated with the railway route.

Penistone is the eastern hub of the Transpennine cycling/bridleway routes.

Penistone to Deepcar railway is now a cycle route.

Deepcar to Nunnery Square is an active railway single track siding that was formerly a double track major route.

The cost of a parallel cycle/bridleway would be too much for councils but not for government.

No, I know it's not the railway route - that's the point isn't it?  The railway line could still run to service the steelworks, this is a separate thing.  I just remembered hearing about this project to create a traffic free route.