Is 'Vegetarian Meat' A Misnomer?

13 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

How's about somebody who really likes meat but doesn't like the idea of animals needing to be killed for their eating pleasure?

That’s why vegetarian sausage, bacon, burgers and Linda McCartney  meat free lasagne etc have been on the go for years. Laboratories are working hard to find meat free meat to appeal to carnivores to try and reduce real meat consumption 

18 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Exactly - it's now a historical curiosity

Except for some that still use meat products like beef suet in their mix.

As I said previously but you decided to ignore?  It's plain rude to misquote someone, please don't do it again.

Edited by geared

I know when I have carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, turnip or potatoes as they are cut and cooked remaining very similar to the raw product. 

I like to know what I am eating and its hard to tell with processed meat or meat look alike products. 

I supposed mushrooms come the closest to the texture of meat but are classed as fungi, not vegetables.

I think it’s an oxymoron.

Perhaps its to guide the carnivores who have an issue with veganism away from the products, heaven help us if a meat eater was fed quorn sausages. Several of my friends who are vegans have now embraced the "plant based" description of their food these days. Perhaps they are conversely offended by using the phrase "meat" or the images that it conjures up to them.

On a lighter note where can i get cauliflower rice from - seems to be a shortage of any type of rice in the mad rush at the minute.

2 hours ago, willman said:

Perhaps its to guide the carnivores who have an issue with veganism away from the products, heaven help us if a meat eater was fed quorn sausages. Several of my friends who are vegans have now embraced the "plant based" description of their food these days. Perhaps they are conversely offended by using the phrase "meat" or the images that it conjures up to them.

On a lighter note where can i get cauliflower rice from - seems to be a shortage of any type of rice in the mad rush at the minute.

I don't think cauliflower rice is sold in general, at least not in supermarkets.

Perhaps a speciality/ health store would be best. 

You can easily make this yourself- grate the florets.

Also rice is not grown here so alot of it comes from various parts of the world.

Basmati only from subcontinent whereas other rice types like Long Grain or Easy Cook/ Jasmine are typically from South Asia or USA.

Given the coronavirus situation then getting goods across is challenging, hence shortages. In addition as rice is a staple product, demand of this shot up following the lockdown.

Have you tried steamed rice like the pouches- the Tilda ones are very good and widely available.

its a meat substitute it is NOT meat

On 10/05/2020 at 10:00, smithy266 said:

Why do vegetarians need to eat food that is made to look like meat? Fake burgers, fake sausages etc...Why!

I like meat, i just refuse to eat it, i like none meat items which are as close to the real thing as i can...because i like meat...i just refuse to eat it

get it?

Edited by melthebell

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

its a meat substitute it is NOT meat

I like meat, i just refuse to eat it, i like none meat items which are as close to the real thing as i can...because i like meat...i just refuse to eat it

get it?

I get it Mel. I still eat meat occasionally but most of the time I eat vegetarian. If there was a meat substitute that was genuinely as good as the real thing, I'd probably never eat real meat again. 

Closest I've yet found is Cauldron brand vegetarian sausages, which are really quite good. Not impressed with any of the vege mince I've come across yet though.

23 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I get it Mel. I still eat meat occasionally but most of the time I eat vegetarian. If there was a meat substitute that was genuinely as good as the real thing, I'd probably never eat real meat again. 

Closest I've yet found is Cauldron brand vegetarian sausages, which are really quite good. Not impressed with any of the vege mince I've come across yet though.

yeah there's so many out there now, all of varying meatlike consistencies and ones that aren't meatlike, i've always loved Linda McCartney ones, just had one of the mozzarella burgers for dinner actually, burgers we had last week were nice, not exceptional, but nice, beetroot based ones.

Back in the mid 80's when i turned veggie you had about 3 choices, sos mix that you made up your self, sos rolls from Holland and Barrett (still love those now) were two that i loved. even Greggs etc do vegan sos rolls etc (i do like those)

Edited by melthebell

18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

yeah there's so many out there now, all of varying meatlike consistencies and ones that aren't meatlike, i've always loved Linda McCartney ones, just had one of the mozzarella burgers for dinner actually, burgers we had last week were nice, not exceptional, but nice, beetroot based ones.

Back in the mid 80's when i turned veggie you had about 3 choices, sos mix that you made up your self, sos rolls from Holland and Barrett (still love those now) were two that i loved. even Greggs etc do vegan sos rolls etc (i do like those)

Sosmix! Yeah, we have that as a Sunday dinner kind of thing with roast potatoes, broccoli, leeks and gravy. If it's spiced up a bit, it's pretty decent.

(I always find the texture a bit weird though, kind of squeaky against the teeth.)

17 hours ago, enntee said:

Not sure if you are serious or not ….. but I'll bite for now.

Just buy a cauliflower and google.

Part of it was tongue in cheek - with the panic buying of rice - it wouldn't surprise me that some bought it thinking it was rice.

My OH likes it mixed in with basmati rice to help on the old slimming world and to try an make me eat more veg.

It was readily available frozen or fresh in little tubs at Tesco,but i can only find microwave steam bags at the moment. ( don't mind slicing butternut to make lasagne sheets but i seriously don't have the inclination to grate a cauli.)

7 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Funny you should say that!  I thought their old tofu-based sausages were really good, and non-vegetarian members of the family liked them too, even though they weren't anything like meat sausages.  But I went off them completely when they changed to a TVP-based recipe.

I used to like their pates too, until they changed the recipes for those as well.

There are indeed some quite unpleasant veggie minces out there.  Quorn mince I find OK, but I guess you'll have tried that.  I don't even mind the old-fashioned TVP mince, though I haven't had it for ages - I'd use a bit of Marmite to give it some flavour.

I like quorn mince, it's about the closest to meat, we use it for shepherds pies and chillies. Never really liked the old tvp stuff.