Which Cut Of Beef Is Best To Use In A 'Slow-Cooked' Recipe?

Please forgive me, I know this seems like a daft question, but I don't like beef at all and never use it, in any form,  when cooking for myself. 

However, I'm planning to cook a special birthday dinner to deliver to a disabled and isolated friend and as slow-cooked beef dishes are her absolutely favourite meals, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of a beef stew and dumplings, beef hot-pot,  beef casserole - or even summat a bit more exotic.... like a beef vindaloo or a beef rendang or massaman curry.

My dilemma is knowing exactly which cut of beef to use for the best outcome!  I want something that's not too fatty, that can be cut into large-ish  chunks and that will be tender, but will retain it's chunky  shape, even after many hours of being slow-cooked in the oven or on the

stove- top.

I've looked at recipes online, but I'm still a bit unsure of the best cut of beef to use. Shin beef? Chuck steak?  Stewing beef?  Braising steak?

I'm a decent cook - lamb, chicken, pork, game, fish, shellfish etc are all easy for me - but beef is just  not something I'm used to cooking with - so any advice will be much appreciated!

All those cuts are good make sure you brown it first. 

Thanks for your advice Pkingy.  I got some good quality shin beef from a posh local butchers. It was eye-wateringly expensive, but worth it - because it turned out absolutely delicious. I made my take on a fancy beef stroganoff, with cream, brandy, mushrooms and all the trimmings. I browned the beef first as you suggested, and cooked it for hours until it was falling-apart tender, then served it with some fluffy rice and tender green beans .It turned out really well - and my friend loved the dinner I cooked for her.  

On 15/05/2020 at 21:16, FIRETHORN1 said:

I got some good quality shin beef from a posh local butchers. It was eye-wateringly expensive, but worth it - because it turned out absolutely delicious.

Really? I use shin a lot, that and cheek are my go to cuts for long....long...cooking and shin is usually one of the cheapest cuts available.

21 hours ago, taxman said:

Really? I use shin a lot, that and cheek are my go to cuts for long....long...cooking and shin is usually one of the cheapest cuts available.

Yes, shin beef is a really cheap cut of beef, that's why it needs long, slow cooking.

Yes, shin beef, chuck & skirt are amongst the cheaper cuts, but I live in London - so everything is more expensive than it is in Sheffield. I find the meat that you can buy in supermarkets in cling-film wrapped polystyrene  trays is bland and tasteless, so I try, as far as possible, to buy my meat from a "proper" butcher. I tend to go for the cheaper cuts of beef, lamb and pork  - but it's still pretty pricey when you're on a limited income.