Jump to content

Information, Advice And Discussion About Islam For Non-Muslims

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Friendly Muslim said:

Hi again apelike - trying to cite the Greeks, or any other previous civilisations, is not sufficient without actual references. The quotes I have read in the past have not come anywhere near to the level of accuracy, precision and functionality of the verses of the Holy Quran (and I hope carosio agrees too). 

But the references you have also provided to make a claim about scientific accuracy are not references just propaganda and the link to the scientists page is just one example. That's why I ask for data, references, books or papers they have written to back up their claims. The claims so far have come nowhere near to being accurate to a scientific level and that is what I am stating. Even one of the scientists you mentioned has now stated the same so forgive me if I disagree.

 

21 minutes ago, Friendly Muslim said:

As I stated in my first post on the Holy Quran and modern science, there are many more verses that are very convincing too. The key think is to highlight, once again, is that Islam is based on evidence and  rationality.

Like other religions before it it is neither rational or based on evidence but purely based on belief which is fine if that is what you want. Trying to make out it is based on science is not necessary when it is about belief. Having said that I look forward to more science based facts from you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Apelike says, trying to promote a religion through science references is, at least, tenuous and problematic in today's scientific world. I do believe that there are many more appropriate aspects of the religion which can be appealing to enquirers.

 

Despite all these "facts" (even if true), they have never been a source of consultation by later scientists in their quests for knowledge and discoveries; that has been accomplished from other sources. Belief in a religion in itself though has given inspiration to enquiring minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

carosio,

 

I welcome your comments. Ultimately, I agree Islam is about belief, but I hope we can broadly agree, partially based on the evidence-based debate that we have undertaken in the last few days, that Islam is certainly not about 'blind-belief'.

 

I have indeed set up this topic to inspire enquirers, and I hope to return now to providing information on the pillars and concepts of Islam.

 

How about yourself? What is your understanding of the concept of God and do you belive in God?  I was thinking of doing a post on 'Who is Allah?' because I imagine that most members on here are probably unaware/misinformed about the concept of God in Islam. Do you think that would be a good place to start?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Friendly Muslim said:

 

How about yourself? What is your understanding of the concept of God and do you belive in God?  I was thinking of doing a post on 'Who is Allah?' because I imagine that most members on here are probably unaware/misinformed about the concept of God in Islam. Do you think that would be a good place to start?  

No, I don't believe in God or gods as depicted in the major religions.

 

We have always wondered what is the origin of life, matter and the universe and what becomes of us after death; perhaps one day it will be discovered but until then (for many of us), a God will fill the gap. In other words, if we believe  everything was created by a higher intelligence, problem solved!

 

As for your proposed new post on Allah please proceed, but be prepared to be subjected to awkward questioning as post about religion attract more sceptics than potential recruits, so to speak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think FM is trying to recruit anyone carosio.  People find their own way to things. I think he or she is just here to discuss and hopefully shed some light and in the process blow away some of the silly prejudices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Hello Everybody,

 

As promised, in today's post I want to introduce you all to the concept of God in Islam. In simple terms, I want to tell you about Allah Most High.

 

Who is Allah?

 

Allah is the one and only God that Muslims believe in. He has no partners, parents or children. He has no conceivable shape or form. He is the Creator and Sustainer of his entire creation, which is essentially everything that exists. Allah Most High is gracious, merciful, just and forgiving.

 

Allah's Names

 

To understand Allah more deeply, we refer to His ‘Names’, which help define His Qualities and Attributes. His two most prominent Names are Allah, of course, and Rahman The meaning of these Names are as follows:

  • 'Allah' can literally be translated to mean ‘the God’.
  • 'Rahman' has a very rich meaning; it is derived from the root word ‘mercy’ (‘rahmah’) and can be translated to mean ‘the Gracious’, ‘the Merciful’ and ‘the Bountiful’. I personally translate 'Rahman' into English as ‘the One who gives out of His mercy and the One who forgives out of His mercy’.

Allah has other Names too; very brief translations of a few of them would be 'The Most-Forgiving', 'The King', 'The Holy', 'The Creator', 'The Loving', 'Peace/Security' and 'The Just'. Together these Names help us develop an understanding of who Allah is.

 

How Did the Messengers of Allah (Alaihim us-Salaam – Peace be Upon Them) Describe Allah?

 

The Holy Quran quotes the previous Messengers (Alaihim us-Salaam – Peace be Upon Them) and how they described Allah Most High. These are very interesting verses and demonstrate the love and reverence they had for Allah.

 

The Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him), who was a very soft and obedient Messenger of Allah, described Allah to his people in the following beautiful, humble words:

 

“(It is He) Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me. And it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink. And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me. And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life. And Who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense.”

 

When the Prophet Musa (Moses) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) invited Pharoah to believe in Allah, Pharoah asked him who Allah was. Prophet Musa (Moses) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) replied:

 

"Our Lord is He Who gave to each thing its form and nature, then guided it aright…. My Lord neither errs nor forgets. Who has made the earth for you like a bed; and has opened ways for you therein, and has sent down water (rain) from the sky…”

 

The Prophet Isa (Jesus) (Alaihi Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) spoke to the Children of Israel from the cradle as a baby, amazingly, and said:

 

…”Verily, I am a servant of Allah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet. And He has made me blessed wherever I be, and has enjoined on me prayer and charity, as long as I live. And to be dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblessed...And verily, Allah is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. That is the straight path.''

 

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalam - Salutations and Peace be Upon Him) obviously came to confirm the messages above.

 

Our Relationship with Allah

 

In the final quote above, Prophet Isa (Jesus) (Alaihi Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) cites the commands of Allah and our duty to Him. This indicates that our duty to Allah is to obey Him and worship Him. His commandments, such as the commands to pray and give charity, are essentially for the benefit of mankind, and help us become better people.

Edited by Friendly Muslim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Friendly Muslim said:

 

Hello Everybody,

 

As promised, in today's post I want to introduce you all to the concept of God in Islam. In simple terms, I want to tell you about Allah Most High.

 

Who is Allah?

 

Allah is the one and only God that Muslims believe in. He has no partners, parents or children. He has no conceivable shape or form. He is the Creator and Sustainer of his entire creation, which is essentially everything that exists. Allah Most High is gracious, merciful, just and forgiving.

 

Allah's Names

 

To understand Allah more deeply, we refer to His ‘Names’, which help define His Qualities and Attributes. His two most prominent Names are Allah, of course, and Rahman The meaning of these Names are as follows:

  • 'Allah' can literally be translated to mean ‘the God’.
  • 'Rahman' has a very rich meaning; it is derived from the root word ‘mercy’ (‘rahmah’) and can be translated to mean ‘the Gracious’, ‘the Merciful’ and ‘the Bountiful’. I personally translate 'Rahman' into English as ‘the One who gives out of His mercy and the One who forgives out of His mercy’.

Allah has other Names too; very brief translations of a few of them would be 'The Most-Forgiving', 'The King', 'The Holy', 'The Creator', 'The Loving', 'Peace/Security' and 'The Just'. Together these Names help us develop an understanding of who Allah is.

 

How Did the Messengers of Allah (Alaihim us-Salaam – Peace be Upon Them) Describe Allah?

 

The Holy Quran quotes the previous Messengers (Alaihim us-Salaam – Peace be Upon Them) and how they described Allah Most High. These are very interesting verses and demonstrate the love and reverence they had for Allah.

 

The Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him), who was a very soft and obedient Messenger of Allah, described Allah to his people in the following beautiful, humble words:

 

“(It is He) Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me. And it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink. And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me. And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life. And Who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense.”

 

When the Prophet Musa (Moses) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) invited Pharoah to believe in Allah, Pharoah asked him who Allah was. Prophet Musa (Moses) (Alaihis Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) replied:

 

"Our Lord is He Who gave to each thing its form and nature, then guided it aright…. My Lord neither errs nor forgets. Who has made the earth for you like a bed; and has opened ways for you therein, and has sent down water (rain) from the sky…”

 

The Prophet Isa (Jesus) (Alaihi Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) spoke to the Children of Israel from the cradle as a baby, amazingly, and said:

 

…”Verily, I am a servant of Allah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet. And He has made me blessed wherever I be, and has enjoined on me prayer and charity, as long as I live. And to be dutiful to my mother, and made me not arrogant, unblessed...And verily, Allah is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. That is the straight path.''

 

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalam - Salutations and Peace be Upon Him) obviously came to confirm the messages above.

 

Our Relationship with Allah

 

In the final quote above, Prophet Isa (Jesus) (Alaihi Salaam – Peace be Upon Him) cites the commands of Allah and our duty to Him. This indicates that our duty to Allah is to obey Him and worship Him. His commandments, such as the commands to pray and give charity, are essentially for the benefit of mankind, and help us become better people.

"Allah is the one and only God that Muslims believe in. He has no partners, parents or children. He has no conceivable shape or form." 

 

How do you know 'He', IS a he then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it's to do with translation from Arabic to English, different pronoun use etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2020 at 16:24, bendix said:

I don’t think FM is trying to recruit anyone carosio.  People find their own way to things. I think he or she is just here to discuss and hopefully shed some light and in the process blow away some of the silly prejudices. 

Really?  Isn't it his religious duty to convert and recruit?

"Muslims around the world agree that Islam is the one true faith that leads to salvation. Many Muslims also say it is their religious duty to convert others to Islam."

pew research centre

p.s note my avatar for my beliefs 😉

Edited by blackydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello blackydog,

 

'Recruit' is not the right term, and sounds like it would add to local and global divisions. 'Convert' is fine (although people who convert to Islam prefer the term 'revert' because Muslims believe each new born child is actually inherently a believer). I would, of course, be ecstatic and flattered if anybody on here read my posts and decided to learn more about Islam.

 

Also, if I genuinely believe that Islam is our salvation, which I do (particularly with regards to the after-life), then is it not an act of humanity for me to advise my fellow human beings towards that which I think will benefit them?

 

As far as my 'duties' go, then the Holy Quran tells us "It is not (obligatory) upon on us, except to teach," and that "There is no compulsion in religion (ie. no-one is allowed to compel anyone else to believe/follow/do anything that they dislike)."  

 

Thanks for reading this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Eid Mubarak, Friendly Muslim.

 

Please could you tell me what is the difference between the two types of Eid?    And what do they both signify?

 

For example, in Christianity, the two main festivals are Christmas - signifying the birth of Christ, and Easter - signifying the Resurrection of Christ.  

 

Also, does Ramadan only come before one of the two types of Eid, or both?

 

Also, why do different Muslims have Eid on different days sometimes?

 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Friendly Muslim said:

Hello blackydog,

 

'Recruit' is not the right term, and sounds like it would add to local and global divisions. 'Convert' is fine (although people who convert to Islam prefer the term 'revert' because Muslims believe each new born child is actually inherently a believer). I would, of course, be ecstatic and flattered if anybody on here read my posts and decided to learn more about Islam.

 

Also, if I genuinely believe that Islam is our salvation, which I do (particularly with regards to the after-life), then is it not an act of humanity for me to advise my fellow human beings towards that which I think will benefit them?

 

As far as my 'duties' go, then the Holy Quran tells us "It is not (obligatory) upon on us, except to teach," and that "There is no compulsion in religion (ie. no-one is allowed to compel anyone else to believe/follow/do anything that they dislike)."  

 

Thanks for reading this thread.

And thank you for answering. I have another question if you don't mind.

I believe there is distinct disagreement, in fact even the cause of death and war due to the succession of power following the prophets death. A dispute questioning whether family or friend of Muhammed should become the rightful successor. Hundreds of years on this is still lethally splitting a religion supposedly followed by peaceful and forgiving believers.   

How are these fellow followers permitted to kill each other within the teachings of the Quran?

Can this EVER be resolved?

**Not trying to **** stir**

Edited by blackydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.