Information, Advice And Discussion About Islam For Non-Muslims

Hello Everybody,

If anyone would like to discuss any issues relating to Islam, particularly non-Muslims who may be interested in the religion, can post on here and we can discuss. The objective is to present the peace-loving religion of Islam and its main principles.

I look forward to your questions!   

1 hour ago, Friendly Muslim said:

Hello Everybody,

If anyone would like to discuss any issues relating to Islam, particularly non-Muslims who may be interested in the religion, can post on here and we can discuss. The objective is to present the peace-loving religion of Islam and its main principles.

I look forward to your questions!   

That's good, thank you.  Ramadan Mubarak.👏

Shukria - I think this is a good idea too.

Thanks for your kind posts, Lex Luthor and Janus. Let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss anything.

It must be difficult to abstain from drinking water for many hours each day of Ramadan.
Especially when Ramadan falls in the hot summer months.

I currently see a group of middle aged Muslim men walking along the canal path in an evening, which must result in even more water loss.

If I was doing this, I feel sure I would struggle. All respect to you guys-I don't know how you cope with that aspect.

Not a question but a comment. Good luck with Ramadan " Friendly Muslim" 

Peace and love, don't let the haters divide us

When this crisis ends I would like to visit a Mosque.

I have had 5 Muslim families who live close by offer me help in obtaining food etc during the current crisis.Definitely we are all together at this time

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Not a question but a comment. Good luck with Ramadan " Friendly Muslim" 

Peace and love, don't let the haters divide us

When this crisis ends I would like to visit a Mosque.

Thanks, Ridgewalk, for the comment, and you are most welcome to visit a mosque when things go back to normal.

And to everyone else, Ramadan is normally a time when our fasting makes us remember the less fortunate all over the world who also go hungry and thirsty everyday, but unlike us, are not necessarily expecting an enjoyable meal and a glass of clean water at sunset. That is a key difference which humbles me. This year, Allah has made the situation such that we are also remembering our immediate neighbours here in the UK who may be struggling to get food, due to health and/or finance reasons.

This is definately a time for togetherness for all of humanity. Peace and prayers for all of you too.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:01, Janus said:

It must be difficult to abstain from drinking water for many hours each day of Ramadan.
Especially when Ramadan falls in the hot summer months.

I currently see a group of middle aged Muslim men walking along the canal path in an evening, which must result in even more water loss.

If I was doing this, I feel sure I would struggle. All respect to you guys-I don't know how you cope with that aspect.

I'm fasting at the moment (for the first time) and while it takes a lot of discipline it's not that difficult.  That hardest part is not thirst; it's more constantly thinking about food.  It's certainly making me appreciate what I have more, and it makes food taste even better.

I have plenty of energy still and I do 10,000 steps walking every day with no signs of fatigue.

I'm eating only once a day; i can't get up at 3am to eat before sunrise, because i know i would not get back to bed.

My muslim neighbour heard i was fasting; and brought round a few homemade pakoras for me to break fast a few nights ago.  Lovely gesture on his part.

As an aside, this is a good idea for a thread.  Almost all my friends here in Sheffield are muslim.  They saw me smoking alone in a shisha bar a couple of years ago and invited me to join them, and we've become great friends every since.  They come from all over - Yemem, Somalia, Iran, Syria etc - and I've never met such warm friendly and fun people.

I hope this thread is moderate properly and not taken over by the usual suspects.

Edited by bendix

Thank you for sharing that Bendix.

If there are enough contributors to the subject matter, I believe we can all learn at least something. That potentially  leads to a greater understandanding overall.

I have every confidence in the moderating team.

Hi Bendix - yes, thanks for sharing - and keep up the fasting. You said that you're fasting for the first time; I am just interested to know what that implies - are you observing Ramadan for the first time for religous reasons, or are you fasting for health reasons? Sorry to ask if you're not comfortable answering (you don't have to answer if you don't want to, of course) - I am just interested really.

Hi again Janus - I am brand new to Sheffield Forum so I don't understand how this all works, but I can certainly contribute more information if people want to learn. I can do a post on the five pilars, and then that can lead to a background on fasting and Ramadhan, as that seems most topical right now.

Thanks for your posts.

The well-known concept of the ‘Five Pillars of Islam’ probably provides the best overview of the religion of Islam.

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasssalam – salutations and peace be upon him) said, "Islam has been built on five (pillars): testifying that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establishing the salah (prayer), paying the zakat (obligatory charity), making the hajj (pilgrimage) to the House, and fasting in Ramadhan."

In summary, Islam is based on:

• Testification/belief in Allah as One God and His Messenger Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasssalam – salutations and peace be upon him).
  • Prayer.
  • Charity.
  • Fasting.
  • Hajj - Pilgrimage to the Kaaba (the House of Allah) in Makkah.

I would normally go through belief, prayer and charity first, but we can move to fasting as we are in Ramadhan.  

A specific verse regarding fasting in the Holy Quran is “O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may become righteous/God-fearing.”

This shows that the actual purpose of fasting is to make us more aware of Allah, improve our behaviour and become better people. In this regard, Islamic scholars teach us that fasting is not just about abstaining from food and other carnal desires, but it is also about refraining from hurtful gossip, arguments and confrontations.

Being charitable is also highly encouraged; many Muslims choose to calculate and pay their annual obligatory charity (another pillar of Islam) in Ramadhan and the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasssalam – salutations and peace be upon him) was reported to have been especially charitable in Ramadhan.