Putting Petrol Into A Diesel Car

I have recently bought a diesel car after many years of  having petrol engines.

Last week I topped up the tank with petrol by mistake, but fortunately realised straight away and so didn't start the engine.

Being  a member of the RAC I rang them and had to pay over the phone £224 : 99 to get someone to come out. A company called Fuel Doctors attended, and in 25 minutes  all was back to normal.

When I got home I checked  the internet for prices and found I could have got the same service for £95 : 00.

Not a bad little earner for the RAC,  £129 : 99 profit for just a phone call to a sub contractor.

RAC MEMBERS BEWARE

Sorry to hear about that. It would have been stressful enough, but having to pay that just adds to it.

You are certainly not the only person to make the fuel error. I wonder what other motorists do. I didn't know about the fuel doctors. I always thought the car gets taken to the local garage. Did the RAC not offer to do that?

Edited by Janus

No,  they didn't say anything

I emailed the RAC complaints department but got nowhere.

I shall be considering my membership with them when it comes up for renewal.

Have you checked your car insurance?

I know mine does cover for this, not sure how many others do.

Same with a flat you call breakdown they say you need a new battery,they can get you one then when you realise it's twice the cost as from anywere else.

Damn, you can usually get away with a gallon or so in a tank without having it pump it all out.

@geard

Does that work both ways round-gallon of petrol in a tank of diesel, and  gallon of diesel in a tank of petrol  tank? 

Not planning on doing it of course, just curious.

I had about 50/50 ( or somewhere near it) in my Peugeot 107, drove it a few miles home, misfired a lot, then drained/re-filled, cleared engine light, now its fine.

It is easily done, misfuelling can cause serious damage to the fuel pump, the fuel lines, the filter and fuel injectors so good job you realised and did something about it straight away.

The waste petrol if not over 10% diesel would be fine for 2 stroke mowers if you could keep it

4 minutes ago, CabinetMaker said:

It is easily done, misfuelling can cause serious damage to the fuel pump, the fuel lines, the filter and fuel injectors so good job you realised and did something about it straight away.

The waste petrol if not over 10% diesel would be fine for 2 stroke mowers if you could keep it

Certainly if it's a diesel engine.   I've saved my contaminated fuel for cleaning engine parts etc, or lighting a bonfire.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

@geard

Does that work both ways round-gallon of petrol in a tank of diesel, and  gallon of diesel in a tank of petrol  tank? 

In old days people used to put some petrol in to diesel tanks to stop the diesel from going solid 

nice put diesel in to her petrol car other day and it just kept cutting out until I drained it and refuelled it with some clean petrol 

1 hour ago, CabinetMaker said:

I’ve got 40 litres of contaminated fuel and plan to use it in petrol strummer 

13 hours ago, Janus said:

@geard

Diesel in petrol is usually less of an issue, it smokes abit but usually doesn't cause any lasting damage.

Diesel cars use the fuel to lubricate the fuel pump, injectors and such.

When petrol gets in there it thins the diesel right down taking away the lubricating properties, which is what causes the damage.

A gallon of petrol or so is usually ok in a tank of diesel, you can slap some 2-stroke oil into the mix to give some of the lubrication back.