Uk 2021 Census

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

But is that really true anymore about planning purposes? It may have been in the past but I'm not sure about it anymore. This government and governments in the past 50 years despite having the available  data have not really acted on it. We know from that data that the population has increased and we need a big overhaul of our infrastructure as most of the infrastructure is over capacity and about to break. Does that data also show we need HS2 or Trident or many of the other expenses that get approved over the former?

Why on earth would census data show need for defence capabilities like Trident? 

Does census data show the army need weapons?

26 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why on earth would census data show need for defence capabilities like Trident? 

Does census data show the army need weapons?

Thank you as you have just confirmed what I have written in pointing out that major decisions are made regardless of what the census data may or may not show.

9 hours ago, L00b said:

Given the averred links between HMG and Peter Thiel's Palantir (US data mining co. given full access to NHS Covid19 patient data), not to mention Dom Cummings' multiple AI companies-owning chums, you shouldn't worry too much about putting any information down on the Census form: chances are, HMG and consorts, foreign and domestic, already have that data anyway ;)

Besides, given the very numerous online platforms in which most anyone fills in basic personal information for access and use, and modern data mining capabilities, chances are -again- that any information retention, withdrawal, falsification and other privacy-seeking approaches would be redundant.

I'm still getting the occasional ambulance-chasing chatbot cold-calling my mobile phone every now and then, asking me if I've received all the compo I was/am entitled to after a car crash over 5 years ago (timeline IIRC, it was a long time ago)... That is, after moving countries 2,5 years ago, and that's calling my professional phone supplied by my employer in the foreign country, the (UK) number of which doesn't appear anywhere online (company website or email footer) and which I have never registered on any other website or online resource, than the company's bank (for 2FA purposes with the company issue credit card). Just tells you how powerful that data mining 'in the ether' must be.

I get those same calls but I've never had a car accident, they're just chancing it. Unless of course they know the specific details of your accident? 

I quite enjoy telling the caller about my amnesia and seeing how long it takes them to catch on.

Regarding them already having that data, isn't that why they are looking towards not needing to do the census in the same way in the future? 

Edited by saywhatnow

9 hours ago, saywhatnow said:

I get those same calls but I've never had a car accident, they're just chancing it. Unless of course they know the specific details of your accident? 

I quite enjoy telling the caller about my amnesia and seeing how long it takes them to catch on.

Regarding them already having that data, isn't that why they are looking towards not needing to do the census in the same way in the future? 

They know enough specifics, my take on it is that the original company sold the data way-back-when, and it's been dead-cat-bouncing between claim companies selling it on to each other ever since.

I'd never claimed anything with any company (wasn't injured at all, no other cost than written-off car), I just claimed for the car with the original insurance company. That was in UK in 2015 (IIRC). I moved out of the UK in 2018.

The disquieting aspect, is that obviously someone has, at some stage, got hold of my new mobile number (UK phone and number, never used in UK, sent new in 2018 to my continental work address ) and associated it with my name, then associated that with the old accident data. Can't think how else I'd be getting those calls.

It may be how and why HMG considers future census exercises to be redundant. But if so, then the fact that it is generated, owned and used by the private sector, rather makes all the data privacy around census data completely redundant, don't you think?

4 hours ago, L00b said:

They know enough specifics, my take on it is that the original company sold the data way-back-when, and it's been dead-cat-bouncing between claim companies selling it on to each other ever since.

I'd never claimed anything with any company (wasn't injured at all, no other cost than written-off car), I just claimed for the car with the original insurance company. That was in UK in 2015 (IIRC). I moved out of the UK in 2018.

The disquieting aspect, is that obviously someone has, at some stage, got hold of my new mobile number (UK phone and number, never used in UK, sent new in 2018 to my continental work address ) and associated it with my name, then associated that with the old accident data. Can't think how else I'd be getting those calls.

It may be how and why HMG considers future census exercises to be redundant. But if so, then the fact that it is generated, owned and used by the private sector, rather makes all the data privacy around census data completely redundant, don't you think?

Yes, that's very interesting with the information about your car accident and someone having to match details etc. to get your new contact details. 

I had thought (sounds like I have done so wrongly) that the idea to gain future census style info was by matching such things as council tax records and national insurance to determine the basics - where you live, people in household, household income etc. Data that I've always thought local and national govt would have been the data controller. And if it did go down that route a statement added to privacy notices saying something along the lines of 'The data you provide us will be used to create future Census information for the purpose of....' 

And just reading about palantir I was surprised to read '.. NHS blog post has since removed reference to pseudonymisation of data'. I would have no problem with numbers, severity of case, location etc being analysed but given the reported history of their work, I would not be happy for any identifiable data to be in their hands if they can't be trusted to use it in accordance with data privacy laws. 

(Don't think I'd picked up on that side of it scrolling the posts last night, my mistake) 

I think a lot of these companies contact at random, I’ve had them contact me via my landline and mobile despite never having a driving license or claiming on any insurance or, thankfully never having a car accident 

If it's any consolation, even solicitors receive that type of scam cold-call.

BUT this thread relates to the 2021 Census; so back on track, please.

I have in the past filled out my census form truthfully but will not be doing the same this time as I just do not trust that the many companies who are involved in compiling and sorting that data now will be safe from mishaps or hacking. It may have been a useful tool in the past but I now question whether it is.

As a general rule the data the Government want is not what commercial companies and neither want your personal details

The Government are far more interested in family structure, housing, income, eduction, skills, age, needs. This de personalized data is collated to form layers of information maps. Other information is added from HMRC,  NHS, the legal and court system current and historic. Some information is made available within months to Government, academics, utilities, planners and eventually everybody. There is no personal information just locations and numbers.

Commercial companies need regular updated  personal information  including finances, spending pattern, debt, household type.

There are very good reasons to have have your personal data up to date.

Every person  and every address has a commercial profile.

Every purchase, every guarantee, every club or discount, every  bank account, membership, insurance, online activity,benefit, credit card , passport or ID, TV selection,

etc is added to your profile. You cannot avoid giving out this information, lying changing or false information just means your profile will include that you aren't to be trusted. 

The wrong or out date information could impair credit, employment, travel, legal and criminal issues etc. as well as increasing junk mail. Previous occupiers profiles could be used. 

Your personal information is out already. Make sure it's accurate.

My 2021 Census invitation form arrived last week and, to my surprise, the online submission took no more than about eight minutes. HMG's website is very well designed and extraordinarily easy to navigate.

why do you have to fill it in, it isn't even addressed to a name, can't they look at the electoral role.