Uk 2021 Census

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

We were always told to fill in the paper census on a given date to give a snapshot of the country at that precise time and record who was in what residence. Now it’s a date fluid record via internet/phone  can we still be fined  for non compliance?

Considering we are theoretically, at least, still in lockdown, the margin for error this year should be fairly small - I don't see a problem.

16 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Considering we are theoretically, at least, still in lockdown, the margin for error this year should be fairly small - I don't see a problem.

No problem but seems the ‘snapshot’ might be quite fluid and a bit different-e.g. university students being registered as living at home when they have (and are paying for) uni or private accommodation they can’t use or people normally resident in one city who have relocated during lockdown to provide care. Given one of the Census purposes is public service provision planning things might get a bit skewed. Not seen the questions so don’t know if these anomalies are covered and still don’t know if non compliance can result in fines

3 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Not seen the questions so don’t know if these anomalies are covered and still don’t know if non compliance can result in fines

Yes - you can be fined if you don't fill it in. 

Also,whereas previously it was quite easy to find people who hadn't filled it in (it was distributed door to door and collected likewise shortly after census day), no they are accepting completion before census day, by internet and paper based.  I see much confusion around who has filled it in, and within households with misunderstandings about who filled it in, who has rung up for one and it not arrived in the post - and possible multiple submissions.  Issuing and collecting fines for non-completion/multiple completion etc could be a nightmare.

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Yes - you can be fined if you don't fill it in. 

Also,whereas previously it was quite easy to find people who hadn't filled it in (it was distributed door to door and collected likewise shortly after census day), no they are accepting completion before census day, by internet and paper based.  I see much confusion around who has filled it in, and within households with misunderstandings about who filled it in, who has rung up for one and it not arrived in the post - and possible multiple submissions.  Issuing and collecting fines for non-completion/multiple completion etc could be a nightmare.

Thanks for that-lots of get out of jail cards there then😀 Going to be a nightmare for Who Do You Think You Are a few years down the line 

Just now, catmiss said:

Thanks for that-lots of get out of jail cards there then😀 Going to be a nightmare for Who Do You Think You Are a few years down the line 

Yep, and in addition, look for the letters in the papers (and online of course now) from people who didn't want to fill it in but did, but altered some minor point or other deliberately (e.g. spelling their christian name wrongly) to see what happened, then writing much later to say that they've been getting junk mail under that name ever since, so proving that data is sold on by the governement, and its not "anonymized" as promised.

Well, I know this will get deleted because somebody will 'report' it, but this thread alone proves that the Prozac-consuming capital of the UK is Sheffield and district.

10 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Yep, and in addition, look for the letters in the papers (and online of course now) from people who didn't want to fill it in but did, but altered some minor point or other deliberately (e.g. spelling their christian name wrongly) to see what happened, then writing much later to say that they've been getting junk mail under that name ever since, so proving that data is sold on by the governement, and its not "anonymized" as promised.

Proof?  Where?  Prosecutions?

'They'  who do not want to fill in the Census have  been banging on about this conspiracy theory since at least 1981.

The only evidence is the motivation of the 'they' and confusion with the electoral roll and other filled in forms.

The historic situation in Northern Ireland means that the 2021 census is a bigger worry for some.

The Government of Northern Ireland commissioned an independent report into the security  of the Census rehearsal in 2019.

2019 census rehearsal - Independent Information Assurance Review 

Unlike the information you supply to banks, doctors, tax, passport, travel companies, etc., anybody involved in census work signs the Census Confidentiality Undertaking which is a permanent record and can be used in prosecuting criminal offences involving census disclosure.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

13 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

This is Sheffield Forum Annie, you know you can start or reply to a thread with no links and nothing to back up anything you say :P

1 hour ago, probedb said:

This is Sheffield Forum Annie, you know you can start or reply to a thread with no links and nothing to back up anything you say :P

The last census was 10 years ago, and I don't think I had the Internet then.  I read the stories I mentioned in the papers months later (and no, I didn't keep them, so I can't quote them).  I've tried googling them but not found them.  I'll wait until they appear in 2022, then I'll have a link when a similar thread starts up in 2031!

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

'They'  who do not want to fill in the Census have  been banging on about this conspiracy theory since at least 1981.

I will fill the census form in honestly and correctly, as usual.  In that respect I'll be in the 95% who do so (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-16299280), and therefore not stand to be prosecuted like the 120 or so who were last time  (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jan/27/120-convicted-census-forms-2011).

I tried to find more authoritative figures for you on this from OLS etc, but couldn't find them in their documentation, so I've had to link to a newspaper articles

As for the mis-spelling stories - I couldn't find it online and hadn't kept the newspapers from 2011, so I was relying on memory.  Sorry - wasn't online then!

Also: Scotland's bit of the UK Census has been deferred until next year.

The official reason is The Virus and its delaying effect.

But I wonder whether the real reason might be the SNP's desire to make their point!

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Also: Scotland's bit of the UK Census has been deferred until next year.

The official reason is The Virus and its delaying effect.

But I wonder whether the real reason might be the SNP's desire to make their point!

Funny how the rest of the UK managed to run the census this year - and as it is being mostly done online, the excuses Scotland made don't really hold much water.

I've no idea what point the SNP want to make, but to me it kind of points to a disorganised administration.