Uk 2021 Census

56 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

My 2021 Census invitation form arrived last week and, to my surprise, the online submission took no more than about eight minutes. HMG's website is very well designed and extraordinarily easy to navigate.

Received and completed mine 4 days ago - took me about the same time, and, to be honest I don't know why they bothered. Apart from the Job' question, which got a bit of a facetious reply from me, and is irrelevant anyway, all the rest of the information is available via either your local council or NHS records,  both of which  HMG can access.

Forgot - I also gave 'wrong' data about how long I spent away from home, too - but that is nothing to do with anyone but me.

Edited by RollingJ
Added line.

I got a note about the Census, giving me a password and a website address to use, should I wish to.  Many people in this country are not on the Internet, so will need a paper one to fill in, as we all did in 2011, 1991, 1981 and so on. 

I'm surprised that the note says those without internet have got to ring up and give their details to get a form.  I even heard someone talking in the supermarket saying that if the government want her to fill it in then they should give her a form, it's not for her to ring and ask for one.  I guess others will think the same.

I suppose it's too easy (and perhaps wasteful?) to simply distribute one to each property, so at least everyone has one to fill in.  If half the population fill it in online, then half are wasted.  On the other hand, trying to work out who has not filled it in and not phoned in to ask for one, then sending teams of people out to chase them up would be more time and personnel intensive.

I'm also surprised at posts on here saying they've already filled it in and submitted it.  Previous census's have asked where they were and who was in their house at the census day (21st  March).  Assuming the same question is on this one, have people been gazing into crystal balls?  I would have thought that the website would not have accepted submissions before the 22nd, for this reason.

@Thirsty Relic- the number is a freephone one, so no cost, apart from a few minutes of your time. I would venture to suggest that the great majority of people have internet access - mobile phones if not actual online facilities, although some of the really elderly may not have either. Why print and distribute millions of forms which will never be used, and I assume the only details you have to give to get a paper version would be your address.

Working out where they haven't got a reply from , in one format or another is easy- cross reference addresses with returns.

As to filling it in early - as we are, and still will be, officially in lockdown on that date, then not too many people will be other than where they are now on 21/03.

5 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I got a note about the Census, giving me a password and a website address to use, should I wish to.  Many people in this country are not on the Internet, so will need a paper one to fill in, as we all did in 2011, 1991, 1981 and so on. 

I'm surprised that the note says those without internet have got to ring up and give their details to get a form.  I even heard someone talking in the supermarket saying that if the government want her to fill it in then they should give her a form, it's not for her to ring and ask for one.  I guess others will think the same.

I suppose it's too easy (and perhaps wasteful?) to simply distribute one to each property, so at least everyone has one to fill in.  If half the population fill it in online, then half are wasted.  On the other hand, trying to work out who has not filled it in and not phoned in to ask for one, then sending teams of people out to chase them up would be more time and personnel intensive.

I'm also surprised at posts on here saying they've already filled it in and submitted it.  Previous census's have asked where they were and who was in their house at the census day (21st  March).  Assuming the same question is on this one, have people been gazing into crystal balls?  I would have thought that the website would not have accepted submissions before the 22nd, for this reason.

According to HMG census website

https://census.gov.uk/about-the-census

Every household should complete the census on Sunday 21 March 2021 or as soon as possible after.

I will be filling mine in on the 21st as requested.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

According to HMG census website

https://census.gov.uk/about-the-census

Every household should complete the census on Sunday 21 March 2021 or as soon as possible after.

It seems odd that it states that on the form sent out as well and yet they are allowing it to be completed and submitted before the 21st of March. Another idea that has not been well thought out and no doubt the site will crash on the day because millions will be wanting to use it.

Edited by apelike

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

It seems odd that it states that on the form sent out as well and yet they are allowing it to be completed and submitted before the 21st of March. Another idea that has not been well thought out and no doubt the site will crash on the day because millions will be wanting to use it.

... and as a result, they will still not know who is trying to get onto the website to fill it out, and those who have not rung up for paper ones and are waiting for these to be delivered to them.  All the makings of another administrative foul-up.

Edited by Thirsty Relic

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

... and as a result, they will still not know who is trying to get onto the website to fill it out, and those who have not rung up for paper ones and are waiting for these to be delivered to them.  All the makings of another administrative foul-up.

Each census invitation received by post has a "household access code" that needs to be entered beforehand so they will know but only if they get through.

We filled ours in on line  the day after receiving it and  there were no problems.

I've just done mine on the website, no major problems at all.

As I mentioned before, census data is invaluable for people researching their family trees in the next century. So if you fill in your census with misleading  data or 'funny' comments, be safe in the knowledge your descendants will just think their great great great ancestor was a bit of a loon.

'Grandma, the census data says that your Grandfather was a millionaire playboy?'

'Hardly dear, he worked on the bins.'

We were always told to fill in the paper census on a given date to give a snapshot of the country at that precise time and record who was in what residence. Now it’s a date fluid record via internet/phone  can we still be fined  for non compliance?