George Addy Crookesmoor

My GGG Grandfather, Thomas Heeley, was left some properties at the former Bloomsbury Place which subsequently became 129 to 141 Crookesmoor Rd (odd numbers only) and included The Bloomsbury Tavern at the junction with Union Street.  These were left to him by a George Addy. Does anyone know who George Addy was?  I notice there was /is an Addy Street next to Crookesmoor Road.

Thanks for any info  Mike Heeley

Sorry , the junction was with Albion Street.

4 hours ago, mheeley said:

My GGG Grandfather, Thomas Heeley, was left some properties at the former Bloomsbury Place which subsequently became 129 to 141 Crookesmoor Rd (odd numbers only) and included The Bloomsbury Tavern at the junction with Union Street.  These were left to him by a George Addy. Does anyone know who George Addy was?  I notice there was /is an Addy Street next to Crookesmoor Road.

Thanks for any info  Mike Heeley

Sorry , the junction was with Albion Street.

According to Peter Harvey's book Addy St was first named Addey St. It was built on land owned by two brothers, members of the Addey family from Cudworth who came to Sheffield in late 18th c, they were Tanners. Name was changed in 1915 by Watch Committee for unknown reason

Edited by Re-Enactor
words changed

There was a George Oddy landlord of the Bloomsbury Tavern.

I lived on Cross addy street  from 1949 to 1969.  Which was close to what is now Addy Place.

Many thanks to all who responded and particularly Mr J Shaw for the links to pursue further.