Electric Scooters

Are we talking cross purposes here?!

There are scooters, like the toy you had as a kid - you stood with one foot on it, and "pushed off" with your other. Yes, you can get electric powered ones now, which aren't street legal.

There are also electric mopeds. Some look like the motor scooters we all know - Vespa, Lambretta et al. These are completely silent, and I understand can manage circa 40mph. I assume that the rider has to have insurance, etc., as they are regarded as a "proper" vehicle.

the scooters children have,but teenagers are buying the latest craze electric powered ones,we have about 12 to my knowledge in s8 and I cannot leave the house,it may be for drugs or just a new got to have one,but 40-50 mph,no helmets or insurance ect,reciepe for disaster

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/gadget/best-electric-scooters-3631238/

As it says in the article,although not legal it is unlikely that e scooters will be confiscated  or any prosecutions unless there is a blatant offence.

It will be interesting what legislation will be put in place if they do become legal for use in public places.

but if illegal and dangerous in a way that no one is trained to ride them/plus the speed why cannot they be banned,why should bikers,cars ect pay and these just run rough shod over the law and then get away with it,i presume nothing will be done ,until someone dies,unbelievable this government.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

but if illegal and dangerous in a way that no one is trained to ride them/plus the speed why cannot they be banned,why should bikers,cars ect pay and these just run rough shod over the law and then get away with it,i presume nothing will be done ,until someone dies,unbelievable this government.

I’m no fan of the government,but what do you want them to do.

If they are illegal then it’s a policing matter.

I suppose you could blame the government who have cut police numbers so they do not have the manpower to pursue petty offenders,whether this be scooter riders,kids on motor bikes ,and numerous other anti social activities.

I very much out that you have seen an e scooter doing 40/50 mph

well I can assure you it seems a new fashion and I don't think it will go away and convenient for illegal activities as well,just hope the police sort it,but I think most areas will have this very soon

AT hee;ey today saw several and seen lots recently,these electric scooters that adults and kids are riding on pavements and the main road systems,they dont take tests,they dont pay insurance,they dont pay road tax,they can go where they want ,without a care for anybody,often 2 or more on them,no helmets ,any age,surely its about time these people of all ages were brought to check,with at least some rules ON AGES  ect,what do other drivers think about these scooters,in my day you propelled them by feet .

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

AT hee;ey today saw several and seen lots recently,these electric scooters that adults and kids are riding on pavements and the main road systems,they dont take tests,they dont pay insurance,they dont pay road tax,they can go where they want ,without a care for anybody,often 2 or more on them,no helmets ,any age,surely its about time these people of all ages were brought to check,with at least some rules ON AGES  ect,what do other drivers think about these scooters,in my day you propelled them by feet .

Needs a bit of regulation, but the concept is sound. 

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

What's "road tax"?

You can bring in as many rules and regulations as you want but until you have a system of constant surveillance with monitored CCTV there really would be no way of enforcing them.

Motorists are currently bound by many rules and regulations but the breaking of them is a regular occurrence by most drivers with little or no chance of being caught.

Perhaps we should concentrate on enforcing the current rules before we start creating more which are just as likely to be ignored.

On 04/11/2020 at 16:09, bassett one said:

...what do other drivers think about these scooters.

i'm a driver, i'll go so far as to say that i love my car, it's great, we paid extra for the faster boy-racer turbo-version. i'm a petrolhead.

as a driver, i think these things are great. 

for the last 70 years we've fooled ourselves into thinking that transport = cars. but we live in a city, *lots* (most) of our journeys are relatively short, and if e-scooters help people leave their cars at home, then that's got to be a good thing.

cars need insurance because the damage they *do* cause is often catastrophic : death, paralysis, loss of limbs, etc.  5 people a day are killed, and 50 people are left with serious injuries. And that's before we talk about the damage to property.

pedestrians, runners, cyclists, skateboarders, scooterers, etc. simply aren't capable of causing the same scale of death and devastation.

when someone is killed by cyclist, it makes the news. it's extremely rare.  remember Kim Briggs, killed by that plonker Anniston? it was a freak accident, and he ended up  in jail.

That was early 2016.

Since then over 7 thousand people have been killed by bad driving, and 70,000 people seriously injured.

and what are we talking about? licences for e-scooters?  what good will that do??! 

none at all. If we seriously want to improve road safety, we *have* to do something about cars and drivers.

And because this is a conversation,  i'd rather see good-or-at-least-safe-behaviour built-in (A), than bad behaviour punished (B).

A)  car-free lanes for bikes/scooters/etc, low traffic neighbourhoods, school streets, etc.

B) new laws and punishments, and even more time and money spent enforcing them.

i don't think we should carry on as we have done, and i prefer A to B - how about you?

Edited by ads36