Electric Scooters

THE speed is 40 miles per hour,faster than cars are allowed,add on the fact many are for crime,they should confiscate them,how can a 40 mile per hour scooter be safe in the hands of anyone,without a qualified license,its not like a disabled scooter used for a ill person,but even they have to be insured and taxed

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

THE speed is 40 miles per hour,faster than cars are allowed,add on the fact many are for crime,they should confiscate them,how can a 40 mile per hour scooter be safe in the hands of anyone,without a qualified license,its not like a disabled scooter used for a ill person,but even they have to be insured and taxed

You're having a laugh. There are two ways of reading that sentence - either you're saying they go 40 mph faster than cars are allowed to go (70 + 40 = 130 mph), clearly nonsense - or you're saying that such scooters travel at 40 mph, which I would respectfully suggest, is also nonsense.

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

You have some really weird ideas. Where do you get the idea that 'many are for crime'?

Check your maths Halibut 70+ 40 = 110 ,but still nonsense🙃

8 hours ago, RJRB said:

Check your maths Halibut 70+ 40 = 110 ,but still nonsense🙃

Oh yeah - it was late!🙂

11 hours ago, Halibut said:

You're having a laugh. There are two ways of reading that sentence - either you're saying they go 40 mph faster than cars are allowed to go (70 + 40 = 130 mph), clearly nonsense - or you're saying that such scooters travel at 40 mph, which I would respectfully suggest, is also nonsense.

You can buy electric scooters off the shelf that are capable of more than 50 MPH.

thanks for that,so if they say do 40 mph,then that's double the speed cars allowed to do in many built up areas,no insurance,no tax,illegal and the person driving these are normally 15-18,no driving training and often on the wrong side of the law,so its easier to break the law in many ways,easy to get away,suprised that many people think this is okay.

If they are made to a street legal specification and have to observe whatever law applies then they have some possible place in the future.

I think more moped / motor bikes are used by young street criminals than scooters would be.

I agree,but they don't need tax/licence /insurance and if caught with a scooter theres less in the fact to book you for as many criminals that have bikes ect don't have any paperwork,plus you can zoom away down alleys that bikes cant do,but the other point is the danger to the public and I see more of these cheap scooters by the day,so there must be a reason.

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

I agree,but they don't need tax/licence /insurance and if caught with a scooter theres less in the fact to book you for as many criminals that have bikes ect don't have any paperwork,plus you can zoom away down alleys that bikes cant do,but the other point is the danger to the public and I see more of these cheap scooters by the day,so there must be a reason.

Didn't you ever play on a scooter when you were a kid? The reason's blindingly obvious - fun. Remember fun?

I want one but what's the point if I can't legally use it anywhere.

plus the scooters in my day didn't do 40/50 mph and could kill someone

The scooters I've used in other countries are restricted to about 15mph. They're widely used on small roads and bike tracks. Can't see why we couldn't allow the same here if we modify our city centre streets for people instead of 2 tonne metal boxes.