Electric Scooters

noticed a huge upsurge in the usage of electric scooters,they are quite fast and teenagers are using them on the foot paths and roads,are they legal to do this? is it a idea to dodge police ect ,for crime use,it seems someone could get hurt,and how are you fixed legally if they run into cars ect?,do the need lights and insurance?

Currently illegal for use on highways and footpaths,but there is some suggestion that this might change.

They do look fun don’t they.

I would have been tempted at a certain age.

but if illegal its if some one gets injured or worse

I assume prosecution if caught and damages.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Currently illegal for use on highways and footpaths,but there is some suggestion that this might change.

They do look fun don’t they.

I would have been tempted at a certain age.

I suspect they’ll get some legislation to make them legal pretty quickly. I think the government is keen to get people out of cars and also out of buses and the underground given the current situation and these might work.

well if they do and they have engines sort of,then they need to be taxed and insured in case someone gets hurt ect,plus roads only

47 minutes ago, bassett one said:

well if they do and they have engines sort of,then they need to be taxed and insured in case someone gets hurt ect,plus roads only

More or less damage than a push bike doing the same speed 😉

I don't know the how's and why's yet. They might need insurance, they might not. I'm guessing power restrictions.

its the speed the go that's a problem and they don't seem to stop well ,plus the users are just kids/teenagers,we must have lots near me

On 02/05/2020 at 13:31, RJRB said:

I assume prosecution if caught and damages.

Could a youngster be proscecuted, someone with no licence?

also whos responsible if someone got injured and couldn't work or worse still lose a limb ect,about time the police sorted it and the council and most of all the government,or are they waiting until something or someone gets injured

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

also whos responsible if someone got injured and couldn't work or worse still lose a limb ect,about time the police sorted it and the council and most of all the government,or are they waiting until something or someone gets injured

It’s all very well trying to legislate for all possible accidents and then you have the issue of policing them.

Skateboards,sledges,push bikes,wheelchairs ,dog walkers can all cause injury if there is a lack of care.

I’ve seen many electric scooters but can’t say that I have thought that they were being used any more dangerously than many other activities.