Anybody know what Jelly Tripe was?

Looking at an old picture of Myers tripe stall in the market and there's a sign saying "Jelly Tripe".

Also any idea why tripe would be two prices? On the price list it's on at 61p and 65p. I wondered what the difference was.

Someone has suggested bleached and unbleached, is that true?

15 hours ago, Person6 said:

Looking at an old picture of Myers tripe stall in the market and there's a sign saying "Jelly Tripe".

Also any idea why tripe would be two prices? On the price list it's on at 61p and 65p. I wondered what the difference was.

Not sure on the 'Jelly Tripe'

Jellied Eel yes - something similar? but I've never seen it done like that.

Two distinct types plain flat tripe available (Thick or Thin) and Honeycomb which was the dearest.

My Mother always did ours with potatoe's (skinned or not depending), and Onions in a thick White sauce cooked in't preasure cooker.

Happy Daze.

Not sure about those who eat it cold with vinegar cooked every time for me.

I've had cold uncooked honeycombe tripe with vinegar many times.

16 hours ago, Person6 said:

Perhaps honeycomb tripe was called jelly tripe because it wobbled like a jelly.

Seems like Myers dealt in some odd merchandise, lol.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y11325&prevUrl=

Edited by Jim Hardie
Link added.

1. Plain Tripe from the Cow's 1st Stomach.

2. Honeycomb "        "         "          2nd Stomach

3. Book Tripe    "        "         "           3rd Stomach    

4. Reed Tripe    "         "        "           4th Stomach   - comes in two types, one is fattier,  t'other is rippled & darker but milder.

& we won't even talk about Chitterlin & Bag.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

My mom used to buy honeycombe tripe, wash it well , cut it into small strips, simmer it gently in milk with cubed potatoes and chopped onions, plus salt and pepper. It was called Blind Ash and was delicious. I do remember though my Auntie eating it uncooked with salt pepper and vinegar.

My grandma also used to enjoy uncooked tripe with salt, pepper and vinegar. I don't think I could face it but my mum used to do us tripe & onions. As pattricia wrote she would cut the tripe into small pieces and simmer it in milk (I think she added the onions halfway through).

Can't beat a bit o' tripe.  I have been getting it from Barnsley Market but not since the new development; hope the stall is till there as there's been some conflict between traders and council.  Offal was the staple diet when I was a lad: liver, kidney, tripe, chitterlings and bag, beast heart, udder, sheep's brains, black pudding.  Then there was pig's feet, chap, ox tail and savoury ducks.  Getting hungry now!

12 hours ago, AKAMD said:

Can't beat a bit o' tripe.  I have been getting it from Barnsley Market but not since the new development; hope the stall is till there as there's been some conflict between traders and council.  Offal was the staple diet when I was a lad: liver, kidney, tripe, chitterlings and bag, beast heart, udder, sheep's brains, black pudding.  Then there was pig's feet, chap, ox tail and savoury ducks.  Getting hungry now!

Morrisons have been selling Tripe, & Pigs feet for a long time & the quality wasn't bad either.

Haven't been to Morrisons since shut down but should imagine they are still selling them.

Something that puzzles me - Why are Penny Ducks so Expensive ??????

As mentioned my Mother always cooked our Tripe in a white (cornflour ?) sauce with potatoes and Onions in't preasure cooker.

Our Lass (Her that should be obeyed) does ours the same way in a white sauce, potatoes & Onions in't Microwave but uses flour instead of Corn flour & is just as nice as my Mothers used to make.

Stay Safe & Eat Well