Sign in to follow this  

Planting After Spraying Beds With Weedkiller.

I have a flower bed full of weeds so want to spray it with weedkiller. I have bought some new hydrangeas from the garden centre and want to plant them in this bed. How long will I have to wait before planting the hydrangeas? They were quite expensive so don’t want to plant them too soon, and kill them

It depends on the weed killer. If it's a residual week killer then it could be 9-12 months.  A good way to check if it's ok to plant in, is by filling a seed tray or pot with soil and sow some quick germinating seeds in it.  If they grow, go for it. 

It's been many years since I've used a weed killer and I think things have changed somewhat in their ingredients.

If it were me, as it's a whole bed full of weeds I would cover it with old carpets, black sheeting or old compost bags opened up for a few weeks to kill off the weeds.

Or boiling water with  a tbsp salt in it poured over the weeds.

Or...vinegar makes a good weed killer but also lowers the pH, which could be advantageous if you want blue hydrangeas.

Incidentally, did I read right...there's a garden centre open??? 🤩

Sorry my information was wrong. My hydrangeas weren’t from the garden centre they were from Aldi. I think Aldi must have bought them from a garden centre as they are all closed down.

1 hour ago, Hayley1 said:

It depends on the weed killer. If it's a residual week killer then it could be 9-12 months.  A good way to check if it's ok to plant in, is by filling a seed tray or pot with soil and sow some quick germinating seeds in it.  If they grow, go for it. 

It's been many years since I've used a weed killer and I think things have changed somewhat in their ingredients.

If it were me, as it's a whole bed full of weeds I would cover it with old carpets, black sheeting or old compost bags opened up for a few weeks to kill off the weeds.

Or boiling water with  a tbsp salt in it poured over the weeds.

Or...vinegar makes a good weed killer but also lowers the pH, which could be advantageous if you want blue hydrangeas.

Incidentally, did I read right...there's a garden centre open??? 🤩

Your advice on home made weed killer is excellent !

Patricia, 

May I ask which Aldi had the Hydrangeas in stock? How much are they, and also pot size if you know. Size is usually marked on base from 2lt and above.

As for your weeds & weed killer dilemma, you may have to repot your hydrangeas in to the next size pot to 'buy a bit of time'. Do keep in mind that anything in  a pot dries out much faster than in the garden at this time of year. More so as we get in to the warmer months. Keep a close eye on that.

Some nurseries are open. Swallownest are very busy at the moment. Have spoke to them a few times recently over the phone. I've no idea about garden centres.

Edit:

Just checked them out. Is this what you got?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/the-green-garden-hydrangea/p/017385379205801

Edited by Janus
Edit-additional details & link.

I'm really missing a good mooch round the garden centres 🤪🤪

4 hours ago, Janus said:

Patricia, 

May I ask which Aldi had the Hydrangeas in stock? How much are they, and also pot size if you know. Size is usually marked on base from 2lt and above.

As for your weeds & weed killer dilemma, you may have to repot your hydrangeas in to the next size pot to 'buy a bit of time'. Do keep in mind that anything in  a pot dries out much faster than in the garden at this time of year. More so as we get in to the warmer months. Keep a close eye on that.

Some nurseries are open. Swallownest are very busy at the moment. Have spoke to them a few times recently over the phone. I've no idea about garden centres.

Edit:

Just checked them out. Is this what you got?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/the-green-garden-hydrangea/p/017385379205801

Thanks Janus. I'm not sure I could justify the non essential trip that far out but I hope they have something left come the end of lockdown 🙃