I have been looking at my family tree and found ancestors that lived at Greystones. On the 1901 census there is no house number it just says Greystones, it must have been a big house because there were 4 or 5 servants. I think it must have been near Murray Road because that is on the same census page along with what looks like Bow Lane although I can't find that on google maps. Going back a page on the census other properties are just down as Greystones with no numbers. Does anyone why the properties just say Greystones without a number or a house name.

Hi iansheff – the 1901 census return doesn't always give full details of houses in sparsely-inhabited areas, just the location. If I've found the right census page (with Martha Hunter, aged 77 the householder at "Greystones" with several servants), the big house was evidently Greystones Hall (now on Greystones Hall Road) as this is where Martha Hunter lived in 1891, as per the census return. Here is a link to a "picturesheffield" engraving of Greystones Hall  https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05621&pos=7&action=zoom&id=9000  and here is a link to an old map. Click and drag the blue spot to the left for a modern aerial view. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.36508&lon=-1.51767&layers=168&b=1 (note the long-gone "Cow Lane" just west of the hall).

Thank you for that I never thought to check back on the previous census, I saw the Hunters grave on a site and they used to have Stoke Hall in Derbyshire as well. I did a search for Greystones Hall but didn't find anything, I looked for Bow Lane and Low Lane never thought it could be Cow Lane. I wonder if the family got all their staff from the Orphanage as my ancestors were two sisters who had lived at Cherry tree Orphanage after their parents died. Were the details the same in the 1911 census, they didn't put numbers just the street?  I have one of the sisters married and there is just her and her husband on the 1911 census and it just says Whirlow Park-head Sheffield.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

. . . Were the details the same in the 1911 census, they didn't put numbers just the street? . . .

Martha Hunter died in 1902 and by 1906 Greystones Hall was occupied by a chartered accountant, John Best, with his wife, son and two servants; here is a link to a scan of the 1911 census page: https://i.postimg.cc/0QFCt4v6/Greystones-Hall-1911.jpg

In 1911 Greystones Hall was still in open country rather than being on a street as such, as was much of the Whirlow/Parkhead  area. Greystones Hall Road was built-up in the early/mid 1930s.

Hi Hillsbro

I have lived very close  to Greystones Hall for 60 yrs. In the 1960s the Hall was occupied by

Telephone rRentals who as the name suggests installed business telephone equipment,then it was converted to a care home in about 1980ish lasting for about 30yrs before then beingconverted yet again into appartments.

On the map of Greystones it shows the hall and further up Greystones rd, Hornby House

which still exists and Cliffe House which was also a farm, Cliffe Farm. Cliffe Farm is long gone but suprisingly Cow Lane is still there, it runs from Greystones Rd to the top of Bingham Park behind the houses on Bingham Park rd.

Hi Mick59

I was wondering what Greystones Hall is used for nowadays. The last Kelly's directory (for 1974) shows it as occupied by telephone Rentals. I could see Cow Lane as a track on the aerial view but didn't know it still had a name.

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

Nursing home

Mick59 tells us (in post #5 above) that it was once a care home, but has now been converted into apartments.

Thanks for the replies.