Cutting A Hedge

If you are cutting 2/3 feet off a hedge, what is the best way?

I have some good petrol hedge trimmers, but it make be too thick for them. A relative has offered to buy a chain saw.

Not sure if I would use one often enough to warrent their purchase. They now come in electric and petrol versions.

What are your experiences?

How long a hedge?  What plants?  Is it accessible?

I've only got one working arm (and it's my non-dominant arm that works) so things like hedge trimmers are impossible for me, let alone chainsaws.  This means that when I decided that the hedge at my old house needed to stop being enormous, I had to get a bit creative.

If the hedge is something like privet, which will sprout again from brown wood given a bit of time then it's perfectly possible to draw a line down your hedge with chalk and then just take some time with a pair of ratchet secateurs cutting one stem at a time all the way along the line and through the depth of your hedge.

Yes, it takes a lot of time, but it works.  I know because I did it.  Just me, by myself, and the only cost was a pair of £15 ratchet secateurs and a little hacksaw for the half a dozen stems that were too big for the secateurs.  Note of caution BTW- my hedge wasn't huge and was all of about 20 feet long, but the bits cut off filled my 7 seater twice over to go to the tip, and I was removing spiders from the inside of the car for months afterwards.

After thinking about it, the height we want is rather high, although If cut it at 5' and let it grow to 6' that might work.

Its a long hedge, but its just one section of around15' that needs cutting

Please please ensure there are no nesting birds before you go ahead 😊

The diameter of the thickest 'branches' is going to determine which tool(s) to use.

For example, in the majority of cases when I cut  Leylandii,  all I need to use is a good quality electric hedge trimmer. Preferably with a long reach that spans the depth of the hedge.

The lower a hedge is cut, the greater the chance of needing to get the tree loppers out.  Mine will cut through a 25mm diameter piece for example. But even then, it's only very occasionally  loppers are needed, unless a hedge  has been neglected.

If a hedge has been neglected for quite a long time, and has areas that need more than loppers, there is a simple solution.  This is the humble bow saw. It will go through 50mm easily.  Not as fast as a chain saw but also not as expensive and noisy, and it's  hassle free. It's much safer to use too. Pick one up at Tool station. You only need a shortish length-about 24", as it will be easier to use on a hedge.

A chain saw would be overkill really. A good pair of loppers and a pruning saw is the way to go.