Freeview Outage

Apologies if this subject has recently been brought up but is anyone else in the Sheffield/Rotherham having problems with their Freeview service? It seems to be the ITV channels which go down most frequently but BBC can be a tad temperamental too.

I read on here that a retune was needed not long ago, have you tried that?

Thanks I’ll give it a try 

How do you get Freeview for the first time ? 

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

It’s built into your TV or you get a Freeview box or stick.

Well I’ve done the re-tune and it hasn’t solved the problem! I’m beginning to think that it must be a problem with the transmitter(s). Since my earlier post I’ve checked and found that other areas of the country are also experiencing problems. Still think it’s very strange though.

I can't say I've had any issues but I use a satellite card in my PC for main viewing. On the TV that's on the aerial, that seem OK too. As I put below, I don't watch TV much so I may just have been lucky at the times I've watched.

Freeview is free to air TV through an aerial

Freesat is free to air TV through a satellite dish

Some have the word "play" after them but not sure what that does as I don't have it. I'm not much of a TV viewer so I'll pass that bit on to someone in the know 😉

55 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

It’s built into your TV or you get a Freeview box or stick.

I seem to have a lot of channels but don’t know exactly what to look for.

Freeview isn't a channel, it's a range of channels listed here

I seem to have a lot of channels but don’t know exactly what to look for.

As Zach said it’s not a channel it’s the system with all the channels in it.

3 hours ago, *SueW* said:

Well I’ve done the re-tune and it hasn’t solved the problem! I’m beginning to think that it must be a problem with the transmitter(s). Since my earlier post I’ve checked and found that other areas of the country are also experiencing problems. Still think it’s very strange though.

Other parts of country will be different transmitters so not really applicable to your case. Do you know which transmitter you are on- where abouts are you and which way is your Ariel pointing?  This is an excellent site for information; 

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/transmitters  and their shop is here in Hillsborough.

Do you have just the one TV fed from the one Ariel?

if not are other TV's ok?

are your neighbours receiving terrestrial tv ok ? (obviously if there are only using  sky or cable or internet tv then not applicable) , 

Are you using a splitter to get the signal from one Ariel to more than one tv.

If you identify your transmitter you can look for issues with that transmitter.

If you go into your TVs setup menu you should find some where it shows the signal strength and quality, you may have strong signal but poor quality indicating interference. Check on all muxes being used especially the one carrying ITV channels.

How modern is your Ariel and cabling, is it from the old analogue days in which case often not good enough for modern digital signal and the transmitted frequencys have changed so your ariel may struggle for some of the frequencies now being used and a more appropriate ariel needed (wider bandwidth) 

We have a TV in the kitchen which has a dodgy connection from its ariel socket to its circuit board which effects its reception ( i will get a round tuit one of these days, just keep wiggling it for now) it can be one or more of so many things.

2 hours ago, zach said:

Freeview isn't a channel, it's a range of channels listed here

Thanks Zach.