Sheffield Pub Given Prohibition Notice

beats me why at the very least the drinkers were not given on the spot fines

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

beats me why at the very least the drinkers were not given on the spot fines

I was told by an officer that the higher ups decided against fines, favouring education (officer's own words) "because it was avoid conflict with certain elements" 

I was reading a while ago about how a similar breaking of the rules in Thailand led to a months jail and a high fine for the offenders. This is just the sort of offense that you would have thought would what the law was designed for - although others might say it was only introduced to make it look as if the government were doing something

33 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I was reading a while ago about how a similar breaking of the rules in Thailand led to a months jail and a high fine for the offenders. This is just the sort of offense that you would have thought would what the law was designed for - although others might say it was only introduced to make it look as if the government were doing something

We, as a nation, have allowed our justice systems to be far too soft, our citizens far too squeamish when it comes to hard punishment.

Police are pointless and I have witnessed on several occasions officers ignoring offences commited right in front of them. 

CPS are absolutely spineless when it comes to charging, often using the term "lack of evidence" to drop cases. Again I have personal experience of this where a case of criminal damage, failure to report & leaving the scene charges were applicable. The list of evidence had crystal clear (High Def) CCTV, forensic traces & independant witness statements yet was given the 'lack of evidence' tag and dropped. Luckily for me his insurance company were more than happy with the evidence and as the accused denied to them that their were involved, they pressed for a charge of insurance fraud and they were convicted of that & I got my vehicle fixed.              

Prisons are full because they're not feared anymore, so we ended up with a system of suspended sentences because the left decided that prisons should be rehabilation centres instead of punishment. Rehab should come AFTER the punishment.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

We, as a nation, have allowed our justice systems to be far too soft, our citizens far too squeamish when it comes to hard punishment.

Police are pointless and I have witnessed on several occasions officers ignoring offences commited right in front of them. 

CPS are absolutely spineless when it comes to charging, often using the term "lack of evidence" to drop cases. Again I have personal experience of this where a case of criminal damage, failure to report & leaving the scene charges were applicable. The list of evidence had crystal clear (High Def) CCTV, forensic traces & independant witness statements yet was given the 'lack of evidence' tag and dropped. Luckily for me his insurance company were more than happy with the evidence and as the accused denied to them that their were involved, they pressed for a charge of insurance fraud and they were convicted of that & I got my vehicle fixed.              

Prisons are full because they're not feared anymore, so we ended up with a system of suspended sentences because the left decided that prisons should be rehabilation centres instead of punishment. Rehab should come AFTER the punishment.

I never get this why people think this. From what I have read of prisons in newspapers they are overcrowded extremely violent places. Doesn't sound like much fun to me?

2 hours ago, Resident said:

To say that the police are pointless is plainly ridiculous.

They are undermanned,overworked and over stressed.

Talk to anyone in the job and find out how much of their time is taken in what should be welfare matters.

They are the ones who pick up the pieces from the failings of our welfare state.

Add to that the red tape and bureaucracy which the law demands.

I would like a return to real policing on the streets,but our politicians maintain that it is adequately funded,crime figures are down,our streets are safe etc.etc.

Its certainly not a job that many would like to do under current circumstances.

I thought we were talking about pubs serving drinks while in lockdown.

22 hours ago, Resident said:

I have a lot of sympathy for the police because you only have to watch progammes like Police Interceptors or Police Code Zero to see the most outrageous behavior and the insignificant punishments. The fault is in the lack of prison places  and the subsequent instructions to automatically release  prisoners early, the instructions to the courts not to give custodial sentences and the rarity of enforcing the remained of the sentence for repeat offenders.

Back on topic now please.

I think the license should be revoked at the very least - if they can't stick to the rules, then the rules will be applied...

The landlord feels that a few quid could justify people dying - they knew the rules, they decided to flaunt them - they pay the price (as well as those that their irresponsible act might have killed - and that is when it turns into a manslaughter charge).

On 29/04/2020 at 18:10, Bigal1 said:

The bit that gets me is the statement that there could be long term licensing implications when you might have thought it would lead to an immediate loss of their license 

I read "could be long-term implications" as the landlord would be unlikely to get a licence if they apply for one in the future. If nobody else can be found to run the pubs, they'll permanently close.

In Rotherham these businesses have been served with Prohibition Notices by Rotherham Council.

• Swinton – Cafe Sport/Roxys Bar and Gym
  • Wath – Red Lion Public House
  • West Melton- WMC (Westville)  Public  House
  • North Anston – Cutlers Public House
  • Eastwood – Ideal Rooms furniture store
  • Masbrough- Jays Hand Car Wash
  • Town Centre – 104 Westgate Rotherham Barbers Shop

A council spokesman said: “All had been investigated by our officers after we received reports from members of the public.

“On every occasion a warning was issued in the first instance, but Prohibition Notices were subsequently served after these were ignored.

“If these notices are breached, a fixed penalty notice of £60 will be issued (reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days). However, for each subsequent breach thereafter, the fixed penalty will be doubled, up to a maximum of £960.

“Further proceedings for an offence under these Regulations may be brought by the Crown Prosecution Service and any person designated by the Secretary of State.

“If prosecuted, businesses are liable for a maximum £5000 fine, with further punishments for continuation of the offence.”