Backing Up A Wd Mycloud Drive

We have a WD mycloud drive which we have mapped as a network drive on to multiple PC's.

It has a massive capacity but doesn't back up.

The amount of stuff we have, would cost a fortune for something like dropbox.

Any bright spark who could write some kind of auto back up so amazon s3 or something similar?

Ideally an admin console (to add new PC's and maybe a bit of a control panel)

Drop me a PM with an approx price.

Thanks

Why don't you just buy another physical disc and ensure you keep it in a secure location?

It's not the physical location I am so worried about.

Makes no difference WHERE it is - if it fails - it fails..

First you say... 

"The amount of stuff we have, would cost a fortune for something like dropbox."

So cloud options are out, then you say...
"some kind of auto back up so amazon s3 or something similar?"

Except, that would likely have a similar cost to DropBox - it's doable, but what you might want to look into is a NAS with RAID 1,  (mirror)

Otherwise, it's pay for online/cloud storage, or purchase a high capacity USB Thumb drive, and backup to that manually every couple of months, and keep it somewhere safe and secure....

Edited by Ghozer

My thinking is that all dropbox/one drive is just s3 rented space (admittedly in massive bulk) with a marketing wrapper which the user pays for.

I have no problem paying - just looking for alternatives.

ok, well depending how much space you need, Google Drive gives you 15GB Free...

have a look here, see if you can find one that suits your cost/needs...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cheapest-cloud-storage/

Theny you need to look into creating script(s) to backup if it's only an external drive, you may have to do this via one of the connected computers... if it's a NAS, it may have options built-in...

HDD space is expensive. My main server has 40TB which is backed up to 2 backup servers made up of smaller drives I bought over the years. I'd hate to think how much I've spent on hard drives but it works for now.

Depending what you call "massive" but you could look at RAID options, or as mentioned, external hard drives. IF you backed up to cloud, you're going to get the expense every year. I would go for buying your own gear and having a mirror of the main WD Cloud Drive. Obviously not much use if you want an off site backup unless you backup then remove it to another location (Family, Work, Friend etc)

What size is the WD Cloud Drive?

What sort of budget were you thinking?

When I saw 'my cloud'  thought it was a Cloud service offered by WD - I would go for Buffalo external drive from E-buyer. I would then use free backup software - you don't make it clear whether your intention is to backup the data on the WD my cloud or backing up your machines. I would use Rescuezilla - the new name of Redobackup. So simple to use - you have to build the iso but it is easy enough to do.

Sorry but HDDs are cheap these days, recently some prices have gone up but I remember when 80MB was over £300, yep 80MB. But depends how much you need. 10TB is around £250+ per drive so RAID 6ing that becomes expensive, however that's just redundancy and not a backup.

RAID is not a backup it's redundancy. If you can have 2 backups. Personally I have a weekly backup, at home kept in a secure, fire proof safe. I then have a monthly backup, offsite at my parents again in a fireproof cabinet. Photos are backed up on Google Photos just because it's easy to do.

I use Backblaze.

it is $60 per year for unlimited amounts of cloud storage.

software backs up the data automatically.

the reason I chose it was that if you need it they will send you a hard disc with your data rather than having to re-download it all.

1 hour ago, TheNugget said:

I use Backblaze.

it is $60 per year for unlimited amounts of cloud storage.

software backs up the data automatically.

the reason I chose it was that if you need it they will send you a hard disc with your data rather than having to re-download it all.

I second this. You can encrypt it too, so only you have the passkey and Backblaze have no knowledge of what the files are. Like any cloud based backup, uploading the initial set takes an age but subsequent incremental updates happen automatically.

Edited by the_bloke

On 29/04/2020 at 12:22, sharpend said:

We have a WD mycloud drive which we have mapped as a network drive on to multiple PC's.

It has a massive capacity but doesn't back up.

The amount of stuff we have, would cost a fortune for something like dropbox.

Any bright spark who could write some kind of auto back up so amazon s3 or something similar?

Ideally an admin console (to add new PC's and maybe a bit of a control panel)

Drop me a PM with an approx price.

Thanks

Did you find a solution?

I presume the WD My Cloud is simply an NAS which all your PCs save all their data to it. You want something to back up the WD My Cloud NAS?

Cloud solutions would give that additional "off site" safeguard and flexibility to access the data on any device no matter the location.

• I use for Google Drive for anything I want to share that's of little importance - it's free
  • I use OneDrive for Business as part of an Office 365 subscription for my personal data on my laptop as it seamlessly syncs between my PC/Laptop and cloud - there are the subscription costs to consider
  • I use SharePoint as part of my Office 365 subscription for shared data - as part of the small business subscription 
  • I use Azure and Azure Files for large quantities of data that require decent performance - an Azure subscription is certainly massive overkill for a simple storage requirement
  • I use AWS S3 storage for some workloads I run in a subscription there - subscription cost to consider
  • There are many other cloud backup solutions that are designed solely for backup but a suite may offer productivity tools that may be useful to you and with little difference in cost

A cloud solution is going to mean a subscription cost as opposed to a fixed cost for something else sat in your office. Initially getting your data there will be a chore, I pushed around 150 GB up to OneDrive and it took some time. You can map drives to OneDrive, SharePoint and some others. It's worth thinking about what would work best for the people using it, what data do you want saved and do you need additional flexibility of access from anywhere. Also it's worth thinking what recovery you require, if it's a simple shared folder then there's little to think about. If you want to backup more complex data such as settings, email, etc then you need to factor in the software to do that

Hope that helps.