Phone Unlock Or Upgrade

I have an iPhone 7 backup phone that is locked to Three despite being bought by us from the Apple store in Sheffield. The phone should be SIM free but Apple and Three either can't, or can't be bothered to sort it. I have been in touch with both. The Three network isn't an option as reception is very bad where I live.

Option 1. I was wondering if anyone has used an unlock service that is a fair price and reliable. 

Option 2. Get a dual SIM phone and just use my S8 as a backup. It will be bought cash and I like a decent phone. It must take 2 SIMS (not eSIM etc) and be able to have both SIMS active at the same time. I understand that if I was on a call from one SIM, the other wouldn't accept calls and that's OK. Any ideas of a good quality dual SIM phone? (2 SIMS and a Micro SD would be ideal) I'm not fussy on makes, I've had the Samsung Galaxy S series for a long time but open to options.

Thanks for any help.

The only way to unlock it properly is from apple or 3...

Get a 3 PayG sim, put it in and phone them to unlock it...

if they claim it should already be unlocked (all phones purchased after Jan 2015 should be) then it likely is and you need to put in another network SIM, and plug into iTunes for it to get the new network/sim info...

as for other phones,  The Galaxy M30S, A51, A71, A50, S10 Lite, A50S, S20 Ultra, Z Flip.. (and more) all support dual sim...

My S8 has a cracked screen, love the phone tho, just annoying.... it happened due to a £1 coin that hit the edge, cracked it.... bloody typical haha!

I just got a SIM from 3 this morning and put it in. Can't get through to a person via calling 333, no matter which option I picked, it just sent a text with a link. Apple say they can't do anything. I think it's BS on their part but they called me 3 times with various reasons why they can't help. I filled in the 3 unlock page again today, gave the new number etc. I don't know how soon or even IF they will unlock. I know the phone isn't worth a lot but I don't get why it's so much trouble. And just to add insult to injury, I went to buy the A71 from Argos and the transaction failed at the last moment, so my bank is showing £430 less but no new toy coming! I'm DOOMED!!! 😄

I remember you mentioning in a PM about the S8 of yours. Mines had a few knocks so that £1 coin must have hit it in exactly the wrong place! A shame mate, they are a very nice phone.

EDIT: I tried the iTunes thing and that didn't work either.

Edited by zach

It's strange, I had an iPhone 5S from 3 (when they were new and before I left 3) - it was locked, I had to wait a week or something, but I phoned them up, they said it would take "5 days" to complete, so I waited and within 3 days it was done....

I know apple can and should unlock also, once a phone is out of it's initial contract period....

There will be someone that will do it, you may need to keep the pressure on....

Did the iPhone come direct from 3, or via somewhere like CPW?

and yeah, the S8 has since developed a couple more small cracks (due to being weakened) but surprisingly still works fine!

I haven't forgotten btw, will sort u out as soon as I can.... :)

I know you haven't forgotten, we'll sort it as and when 😉

As for the phone, it was my daughters, she got it new but on second thoughts she thinks she may have got it from 3. That sort of lets Apple off the hook. I will just have to wait and see what Three do with the latest form that I filled in today. It's a new SIM but has no credit on it. As I said, not a clue which number to try that gets you through to a human. And you're right, the thing shouldn't even be locked but it is. I knew there was another reason I left Three, their customer service is terrible!!

well, when I did it, I phoned 333 from the phone/sim, I talked to someone, and I had to have topped up the phone at least once so the sim was 'active' as they put it (think they were just trying to get some money though tbh) and they just sorted it over the phone there and then, and said it'll be up to 5 days to complete... (you could try 0800 3584916 - should go through to customer services bypassing the automated)

But all phones purchased after Jan 2014 should be unlocked if directly from 3, if it's not unlocked then it's something 3 need to resolve as it says on their own website "Jan 2014" - threaten trading standards/ofcom etc, they'll soon sort it out for you..

I left 3 for a few reasons, but I agree, their customer service isn't the best for sure....

Well I think both my daughter and myself are convinced that the Three message people just have macro replies. Like talking to utter idiots. He ended the chat abruptly when he told me the SIM isn't yet activated and in use, my reply was along the lines of "well how has my daughter phoned me and is ******* speaking to me on it, if it isn't activated?" I think he was moving to the "pay us some money" but decided against it. Not the best way to get help but how many times can you explain the same thing before you lose your temper? Obviously 30 minutes in my case.

Thanks for the numbers Ghozer, I think it's going to be a long haul for Three to do a very basic thing, if they ever bother to do it at all.

I am with Three. The sure fire way to get decent customer service is to make a formal compliant. I can guarantee that someone from a UK based call centre will call you back. 

Apple can't unlock your phone, it has to be via a network provider if it was originally locked. Your beef is with Three. 

8 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

I am with Three. The sure fire way to get decent customer service is to make a formal compliant. I can guarantee that someone from a UK based call centre will call you back. 

Apple can't unlock your phone, it has to be via a network provider if it was originally locked. Your beef is with Three. 

I know mate, thanks.

I had a helpful bloke from Apple call me and explained that he could see it was locked by Three. We got slightly mixed up at first as my Ex's was bought in the Apple store and my daughters (this one) was on contract with Three that was paid off/Ended nearly 2 years ago. I will be going to the complaints but guess what? Their site is down! I know we have technical faults so I'll get it started when the site is back up.

Thanks again for the tip.

I ended up getting a Samsung A71. John Lewis were doing it £60 cheaper. A lot of phone for £350 (ish)

Took a bit of head scratching sorting the SIMS out, like anything, simple when you know how...or bother to read the manual!