Sheffield Council's Anpr System Left Open To Internet

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

It's not a good argument, is it? SCC is not inept because all the other councils are just as inept :)

8,000 employees sounds big, but in real terms is a medium sized company.  They offer a diverse range of services, yes, but that isn't an excuse to be real poor at basic things.

I work in a company with over 150,000 employees world wide offering 100's of services to thousands of clients.  The client account I work on has over 55,000 end user devices and I can tell you for a fact - if we'd have let this happen sacking would be the least of our worries.  Criminal charges would be brought.

So PLEASE don't use the fact that 8,000 people are a lot to handle.  It's not.  And this is a clear breach of guidelines for how to handle this type of data.

Edited by hsb98c

23 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

It's not a good argument, is it? SCC is not inept because all the other councils are just as inept :)

Not it isn't. It's also indicitive of the attitude in councils in general. 

'We don't need to worry because everyone else is rubbish too.'

Sorry planner1, while I respect your views and information regarding traffic planning, I don't when it comes to your views on network security. Your somewhat blase attitude suggests you are as out of your depth with this as I would be with the technical details of running a street parking scheme.

23 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

regrettably  it simply shows an acceptance of the situation and no desire to improve

Sometimes good customer satisfaction research or benchmarking can shake the complacency